Sign in to follow this  
Purdius

500 point list. Need help..

So tonight we are doing an all vs all. About 6 of us. 500 points each. No larges allowed but normal 60% for mediums and 40% for smalls.

I was thinking of running, 3 x 1 Fresnals. Either 2 x 5 thales, or 1x5 Thales and 1x4 Diogenes. Thoughts?

If you have them, switch out a Fresnel (or 2) with a Zeno. The heavier armour (and the PA) will come in useful.

Another option would be to drop 2 of your medium ships for the Hipasus and use its generators to shield your ships (the portals also affect line of sight, so you can choose between the dilation field or a pair of portals)

@Purdius: Personally I'd just go one of each for that kind of fun game. That way you have a well rounded and non-lame fleet and you can see more of your units in use. Something like:

Kepler, Fresnel, Zeno, 5 Thales, 4 Diogenes. OR

1 of the above mediums as commodore, a couple of Cleomedes or Platos and fill up points with smalls.

Basically, all CoA mediums are very nice units worth playing.

Cheers! Have fun and show them that Penguins rock.

R

Thanks for the replies all. I know my opponents will bring their toughest ships to even such a small game as this. I can field most things in this small game.

I like the idea of 1 keplar, 1 zeno and 1 Fresnal actually.

The zeno will be able to pick off smalls nice and easy, it even has a PA!! The Keplar will give me 5 more tiny flyers, which could come in handy, and the Fresnal packs a hell of a punch.

If I were being mean... and lets face it, I usually am, I would go with a full squad of Zenos, a squad of Diogenes and a squad of Thales.

My reason being that there is absolutely no medium ship in the game that will survive a 3 zeno boarding attempt, or even a 2 zeno boarding attempt. At close range, the Zenos broadsides are terrific! They are also remarkably resilient for medium vessels and will clear out smalls like nobodies business. Finally, they are the most difficult to board mediums we possess (at least before you launch their crew at a choice target).

The Thales go with them, shooting and boarding what is necessary.

Diogenes are the rogue element, able to snipe from afar and their broadsides are fairly potent too.

Against so many players, boarding is going to be an interesting prospect.

Fresnels will hit like a hammer and then fold like some sort of folding device in a folding machine built for folding folding devices. Without supporting elements of the fleet they will not be able to prevent themselves from being boarded by the inevitable adventurous corvette squadron.

1 Fresnel, 1 Zeno and 1 kepler will make for an interesting match, but I fear you would be disappointed by the Kepler by itself. Its firepower is close to negligible and the 5 drones it will bring will be overmatched in the sky.

Have you considered 2 Zenos, 1 hyperbius, 4 Diogenes and 5 Thales?

If I were being mean... and lets face it, I usually am, I would go with a full squad of Zenos, a squad of Diogenes and a squad of Thales.

My reason being that there is absolutely no medium ship in the game that will survive a 3 zeno boarding attempt, or even a 2 zeno boarding attempt. At close range, the Zenos broadsides are terrific! They are also remarkably resilient for medium vessels and will clear out smalls like nobodies business. Finally, they are the most difficult to board mediums we possess (at least before you launch their crew at a choice target).

The Thales go with them, shooting and boarding what is necessary.

Diogenes are the rogue element, able to snipe from afar and their broadsides are fairly potent too.

Against so many players, boarding is going to be an interesting prospect.

Fresnels will hit like a hammer and then fold like some sort of folding device in a folding machine built for folding folding devices. Without supporting elements of the fleet they will not be able to prevent themselves from being boarded by the inevitable adventurous corvette squadron.

1 Fresnel, 1 Zeno and 1 kepler will make for an interesting match, but I fear you would be disappointed by the Kepler by itself. Its firepower is close to negligible and the 5 drones it will bring will be overmatched in the sky.

Have you considered 2 Zenos, 1 hyperbius, 4 Diogenes and 5 Thales?

There's so many lists I could throw together lol. I havent thought of 2 zenos, 1 hyperbius with the diogenes and the tales. The triple Zeno seems pretty cool though. The broadsides will murder any medium and the PA will crunch smalls

So the game starts in about an hour. I've decided to go with 2 Zeno, 1 Hyperbius, 5 Thales and 4 Diogenes.

The Zeno i need to get in close, look at the Smalls and Broadside the Mediums. Thales will accompany them and lay down some extra fire power. Ill use the Diogenes to plink mediums with combined torps or go around dropping other smalls.

So we had the game. I drew in the end, but most likely could of won, but the game would of gone on for far too long lol. I was up against Prussia, 2 Brit fleets and 2 Russians.

I ended up going with 1x2 Zeno, 1 Hyperbius, 5 Thales, 4 Diogenes.

I think next time 3 Fresnals may word out better for dropping enemy mediums. My smalls pack plenty of punch for killing other smalls.