Sign in to follow this  
Pads1982

Tournament list suggestions

Hello my fellow lizards, looking for feed back on the list I'm planning to take to an 800 point tournament. Looking at

1 flax with +2 ap & second assault

2 gnships with nukes

4 cruisers

4 frigates with pack hunters

5 frigates with pack hunters

Plan is shunt in the battleship for some boarding actions & frigates for a huge amount of dice, use the gunships to hold back and fire on the tier 1 while the cruisers try to hug cover and trade broadsides with anything that comes close enough. Problem I will have is against torp heavy/Srs lists as lack of air support and average pd could hurt

Alternate list

Carrier with gunship, +1 shield weapon shielding, 3 interceptors 1 support shuttle

3 cruisers

3 cruisers

4 pack hunting frigates

4 pack hunting frigates

Plan for this is to have the carrier hang back and plink away with a frigate squad to protect the rear of the admiral the cruisers will shunt in behind the enemy force, I know 4 cruisers is ace but they will be un damaged for the first turn they arrive and still gave plenty of dice.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

I think the main issue with the first list is that the gunships are not punching as much firepower out as they should. You really need the third gunship. I would be inclined to ditch the 4 strong frigate squadron for the third gunship. It will keep that squadron pumping out decent firepower for longer and it will be more difficult for your opponent to score Battlelog points from you. 

I definately think that list 1 with that amendment will do you proud. 

The second list is too fragile in my opinion. 

Gunships are my new favourite thing. They are absolute beasts. I ran 2 x 3 ship squadrons in a game last night and they eat the opposition. they are vunerable to damage but tough to land criticals against. just plant them in the open at the enemy flagship and have at it. they can reliably land significant damage against any enemy ships. Most cruisers will get 1 shotted at RB2 by their kinetics. I love em! 

isn't your maths off? a 4 strong frigate squadron with pack hunter is 100 points. that is exactly the same cost as a gunship with nukes. 

you really need the cruisers to be 4 strong. maximum squad sizes is the key. Less battle log loss and the potential to do decent shots for longer. I would try something like this: 

Carrier: with 2 cruiser accompanyments. 6 x Bombers. Weapon shielding, +1 shield. +1 shield on the cruisers as well

3 x Gunships with nukes

5 x Frigates 

5 x Corvettes

You have a long range hunter in the gunships who can also take on frigates with their nukes. Basically just point them at an enemy squadron and delete them. Corvettes synch really well with gunships because you can redeploy them into a decent firing position. 

The cruisers combined with the carrier make a solid hitting tier 1 with a bit of range thanks to the decent front scatter guns on the carrier. The carriers better torpedos also synch well with the cruisers. giving them a decent 11 dice punch (though no nukes....) The cruisers and bombers together will make your flagship almost immune to torpedo fire for the first few turns, and the carrier upgrades will keep it firing for longer. the Frigates are just awesome at this points level. shunt them in and get some multi arc firepower going!

I am not at home right now so i can't check, but you could drop the shields on the cruisers and a bomber wing for pack hunter on the frigates (Can't remember if you HAVE to have +1 shield on the cruisers if you have +1 shield on the carrier) 

Compare that list with the other ones you listed. 1 less activation but more solid squadrons that can take more of a beating. 

Great list, Frag. I've been having a hard time with carriers being a flagship. They seem to get focused down too easily. My tendency nowadays is to always take a battleship or dreadnought. But using your warwolves to beat up the enemy's major threats to your carrier seems like it could work.

Because the carrier isn't as big a threat in turn 1, most opponents will tend to fire at the Gunships, which is good for the carrier obviously. It is win-win though, because if the carrier takes a hit then the Gunships can approach to RB2 nice and quickly and then ravage whatever engaged the carrier, whilst shoving a bunch of torpedoes into a yet-to-be-activated squadron. 

In a tournament you want to keep the battle log risk down and the damage output high. 

As for the Dreadnought/Battleship question - i find they die anyway quickly enough. I did a 1200 point game on Saturday and the bloody Dreadnought was still dead in turn 2....