abraxus04

newbie list building question

Having never played a game yet, I was wondering how many units do people usually find themselves taking for capturing objectives?  1 unit per objective, slightly more (N+1-2), or significantly more (N+3 and up).  I know the game can be fast and lethal so I was curious on finding that balance between big guns and little dudes

Right now it depends on your preference and army, a few armies rely on their infantry heavily so they tend to just take all they can (ditto for the little recon tanks). I personally have run both my Aquans and Dindrenzi with zero infantry before, but in doing so meant I could only tag a few objectives with recon tanks and pull the rest of the TV from destruction. Personally my happy zone though is to assume I want my primary and half the secondary objectives with my Dindrenzi and the inverse with my Aquans (defensive unit in my tertiary) and that I want a primary and backup for each objective. AKA half the objective count rounded up times two. So 4 in a sub 3k game, 6 in a 3-6k game, etc. Also I prefer to have my light tanks taking a more offensive role so I typically don't include them in the minimum count.

As a sidenote there have been comments about the importance (or rather lack thereof) infantry in this game. I think I can get away with saying that the playtest group has been open to looking into it, so if anyone is on that side of the fence don't give up yet!

At 4-5 K I would generally have 4-6 units with my Renzi. 
However it does depend on what force you are using; My Aquans only take 2-4 as they are more focused on denying the opposition.

Edit: Darn you Max and your more comprehensive response at the same time as me :P

I usually  go for my tertiary and for the secondary objectives in a game (playing sorylians). Often leaving behind a heavy infantry cadre for the tertiary and currently testing the transportation methods for my light and heavy infantry. I use the bikes for flanking maneuvers and killing things. In my last games a full recon helix tryed to take the primary.

But my options are currently limited due to not having more then 3000 points in my roster.  :)

So this would be 1-1 ratio.

Depends on points played but generally Ill take about 2 per objective. One squad of hover bikes and one squad of infantry. Some of those infantry will be min units of gun teams however.

Cool thanks guys, so far we are looking at lower point games 2500ish and I'm probably going to start off with 3 units of infantry and a unit of light tanks and see how it goes.  Every time I built a list with 5-6 it kept feeling like the list lacked punch.  Seems like now is the time to test and adjust with the results.  thanks again!

I am kind of addicted to my Sorylian Heavy Infantry so I max out on them whenever I can and actually build my helixes around getting as many of them on the table as i can! Obviously this is because I love the look of a tide of giant lizards mowing down everything they can with heavy calibre weaponry hahaha

If you are going for army performance then killing stuff always nets more points than objectives, and you have to divert points from your list to cap your tertiary. I tend to ignore my tertiary objective and just hammer the middle objectives.  

I like to leave a small force in the backfield to hold my tertiary. After that, I go for as much objective-holding firepower as I can get. Most of the time, I assume that nobody is claiming their primary until the other force has been pretty thoroughly beaten into submission, but the contest for the secondary objectives can make all the difference. 

i tried that, and 120 points buys me a 3 base Light infantry squad with gun teams. Perfect for camping in the home objective on overwatch. They are still securing 2 ZH points a turn which can tip a close game. I wouldn't take them against sky droppers though. Relthoza and Dindrenzi would drop in and storm the building immediately, losing the points for the unit itself and the rather significant ZH points then claimed for their primary. By leaving it empty i tend to find that the enemy sky droppers will land in amongst my lines to try and do damage to my front line units. 

Right, sorry. I should have specified that I use the light walkers for base defense even though they are more expensive than an infantry squad. Leaving them outside the building keeps my opponent from immediately going into Storming CQB to take it from me. Also, since I play Relthoza and my infantry only come from Skydrop spires, the recon walkers are the only objective-grabbers I can deploy on the field!