Sign in to follow this  
Wintermute

First go at a 1,500pts list

I have my first game at 1,500pts with my CoA force coming up. My list is below. I am a bit lost as to what I should use, so any input into my list would be greatly appreciated!

Diophantus Assault Carrier  (Drone Launcher 9) 

Aristotle Battleship (e-turrets)

2 Zeno

3 Cleomedes Cruisers

3 Plato (e-turrets)

4 Diogenes Frigates

5 Thales Corvettes

5 Thales Corvettes

Battle Orb (Callimachus-Beta)

@Wintermute: I like the list,  I think it is a nice mix of units and it should give you a couple of tactical options. Personally I have two things I don't like too much:

- 2 Zenos: Not completely wrong, imho going full squad or single Zeno is more interesting though. To me two are neither a full fighting force, nor a cheap activation.

- E-turret Platos: Personally I'm just not a big fan of these. I prefer the more agressve standard turrets. Use tougher units as a cover and advance to RBII where they have a very good damage output for their costs.

R

18 AD and 15AD at RB4 are not all that different, one can hunt dreadnoughts with a little more reliability. The kepler does add a lot more value though, supporting AA and CC not the least! I would consider dropping the orb in favour of a Kepler attachment to the Aristotle.

The 35 point carrier upgrade on the Diophantus I think is a major mistake. You will rarely have enough drone in the scrapheap to relaunch anything like that many, and the extra initial 3 drones it brings are not worth 35 points.

I would echo rufus' thoughts on the Platos too, I like them played fast and aggressive! They are non-capital so can't be prized, which means their 9 elite AP can make quite a nice punch for capturing or stripping crew.

You might consider dropping the orb and the drone upgrade to get a Hyperbius into the list, it gives you an aerial presence to snipe away over islands and can boost your e-turrets with its target painter.

Yeah Thamoz has put into words what I wish I had in regards to the kepler, something about me being easily swayed by higher numbers of ad means I often over look other things however in the games I have used the aristotle + kepler combo they have hit hard and been more than a decent investment for points

For me the diophantus is frustrating mainly due to the fact I actually have the CoA dreadnought and on paper it sucks compared to the dio which seems too cheap in comparison.  If anyone can point out where the dreadnought has positives over the dio please do as I love the model just think it is too pts costly for what it does

The Dio can hunt mediums and smalls in an ORBAT that is full of things that can hunt mediums and smalls. It brings limited firepower and above average survivability (dreadnought DR/CR but less decent AP, AA, shields and CC... but wavelurker too I guess) + some drones (the usefulness of which will vary according to how good or bad your drone relay rolls are.

The Prometheus is a straight up powerhouse. Weapon systems out of every orifice, proper dreadnought level toughness and support stats, a few very useful generator options and it looks damned good too. It is one of our very very few vessels that can go and fight enemy large/massives. 3 turret links to 24/20/16/12, but then it has a spare turret, 2 broadsides, a fore bombard and a particle accelerator to play with too! I cannot sing its praises highly enough! Of course, it is very expensive points wise and requires smart targeting and support to make sure your opponent doesn't steal it, but that is the same for all dreadnoughts.

Given the choice between a Prometheus and a Diophantus I would consider their usefulness to the fleet as a whole. Diophantus is an anchor, it will hold the line and support the rest of the fleet which will have to do the heavy lifting. Prometheus is a line breaker, it smashes into the enemy and wrecks face in every direction, but needs support from the rest of the fleet to survive.

Thanks a lot for the input guys! Unfortunately I don't have a kepler or Hyperbius yet, but it does sound like they should be my next purchase.

I like the sound of the Prometheus over the Dio, so I think I'll swap them round. I have also drooped the Orb to get the Zenos up to full strength. I have also taken the e-turrets of the Platos.

Prometheus

Aristotle (e-turrets) 

3 Zeno

3 Cleomedes

3 Plato

4 Diogenes

5 Thales

5 Thales

Had a good game with the list. We got three turns in (we are still a bit slow at the moment), but ended calling it a victory to the French.

Here is a run down of what the units did:

-          The Prometheus was quite brutal, although its low speed and ideally wanting to shoot straight ahead (to get the PA and bombard gun onto target) made it a tad tricky to use.

-          The Aristotle played a support role zapping a few hull points of at range, I’m still in two minds about this battleship, as it seems expensive for what it does.

-          The Zenos died horribly to a squadron of Dieppe (these seem like really good cruisers!). In hindsight I think a squadron on Icarus could have done a better job.

-          The Cleomedes were solid ship of the line. I kept them wave lurking until they were at range band 2 in order to hit hard.

-          The Plato performed well, even if they ended up going against a battle cruiser. In future I think I should aim to hunt smalls with them!

-          The Diogenes took on a destroyer squadron and won. It seemed an unlikely outcome, but they did a great job.

-          Thales did a good job of being a distraction and killing off other smalls. They would have done more boarding, but consistently failed moral checks and then lost 3 crew in order to rally!