Sign in to follow this  
Lerriano

Movement

What prompted 360 movement on land? It takes all the positional play out of the game, undermines the point of the weapons having arcs, and means it's impossible to use flanking forces effectively because they don't gain any upper hand by catching something from behind.

These vehicles are many thousands of tonnes, no way can they turn on a dime! (Except maybe skimmers, who were specifically excluded :P )

I guess my question is 'why, and when will this madness be overturned?'

I actually really like these changes. It greatly simplifies movement to be more something like planetfall, which helps with the bigger games, and also helps keep a couple of my slower friends playing. I also disagree on the undermining part- the arcs are still there, it's just easier to maximize the benefit, something that if you were half-decent at moving before you could do anyway with a 45 degree template.

I hope they don't revert these changes.

The changes were designed to speed up the game. Derek suggested the change in the playtest group due to the fact that movement took up a very big portion of time in armoured games.

A number of testers (myself included) did tests on the new 360 deg movement. We found that having the Small/Mediums move 360 deg, sped up the game enormously. With the Large/Massives moving very clumsily you had to plan the few models with the most firepower more carefully than before. This is where the tactical movement is maintained.

We also found that the relative advantage with smalls/mediums wasn't that big, because they could turn on a dime anyway. Hence the change.

Cheers,

Yeah, I think the change to 360 movement is great. The naval game still exists if you want to sod around with templates, but it means that the armoured game can exist as "Dystopian Wars, FAST edition".

I really need to play more Armoured games, thinking about it. I actually like it more than the Naval game.

It originally started as as a way to kill snaking absolutely totally dead, but grew from there as we found we liked it.

I use lots of buildings in the land game as scenery. 360 move allows small and medium units to thread their way through a town, using it for cover, which looks and feel right!

James

To me, a Town is usually more than one building. If I use buildings as a terrain feature, then I'm deploying 10 of them scattered in a 6" circle as a town, or lots arranged into a 7 x 4 Block to represent a factory complex....

I know the rule book doesn't explicitly say  how many buildings equal one terrain feature, but we did assume people have some common sense! :P

James

We never use the vanilla terrain distribution in the land game. As a hard core historic gamer (Napoleonics/ACW/Ancients) I cannot imagine fighting even a large scale battle such as Blucher/Volley&Bayonet/Impetus/Hail Caeser on the billiard tables that the vanilla list generates much less the more comparable 6mm/3mm WW2 games such a Megablitz or BKC. Even the western desert or the eastern steppes would have a lot more terrain.

Before the rule changes I never had much trouble with lining up the weapons of my tanks. 45 degree turn with no mininium move made it so easy that after a while we didn't much bother with the template for medium models anyway. In our games the rule change for armor only made the game faster. The only real difference is that medium models can now back-up much easier.

If you think turning has become to easy you can for example reduce movement with 1 inch for each 90 degrees the model has turned.

I'm with the OP. The Naval game works because there is a clear continuity of increasing turn radius with model size. With Armoured it's a complete cut-off. My Stewards can pivot on the spot any number of times without penalty despite being easily ten times the footprint of a Terrier whilst the slightly larger Sovereign will struggle to turn 180 degrees in the course of an entire game!