Sign in to follow this  
graeme27uk

Command ships - unique designs - one-offs, etc

Having a look at some of the competition out there such as Hawk Games, they have models that represent unique designs and characters / command units.

I quite like the idea and can see this being linked into campaigns.

I have an idea for a "super-Fresnel" - think of an Aristotle hull with energy broadsides and a big energy turret.

A command Prometheus - bigger bridge, maybe a tri-hulled design? Command abilities that improve those near by. We already have this ability in the rules as is, so just need to extend this. Get rid of the bombard and give it something else? Looking at the model you could effectively chop of the upper section and redesign this.

The Epicurus drop-on's give great variation. The Time Dilation drop on and Energy Blast already fit that so again would give easy coversion and alt ideas for unique models. - An aerial energy blast unit could be fun. Obviously this would remove the carrier ability and make it a weapons platform.

The Herodotus has room for an underslung turret as well - bit like the Archimedes.

Doesn't just have to be big stuff - special "veteran" squadrons or other prototypes.

I'm game.

I think it has been said that (was it Delboy?) there was some opposition to more "gunline" units, so a super-Fresnel might not be a great idea.

There was an Archimedes with an alternate top drop on in the old Heralds of Olympus booklet.

Here's some more ideas:

CAS Wrath of Chronos
Modified Epicurus Sky Fortress
Points 225
Crew Type: Elite

DR 6 CR 10 Mv 7" HP 8
AP 7 AA 7 CC 5 IR 6

1  2  3  4
Main Turret (P)         9  7  5  3
P/S Broadsides(S) 10  8  6  4

MASSIVE AERIAL CAPITAL MODEL
Minimum Move: 2"
45-Degree Template
Turn Limit: 2"

Model Assigned Rules: Squadron Support (CoA Fighter Drones, 3), Strategic Value (150)

This model is fitted with an Internal Shield (2) Generator
This Model is fitted with an Internal Dilation Field (12") Generator
This model is fitted with an External Teleport (Large, 12") Generator

Notes:
Unique- No fleet may include more than one CAS Wrath of Chronos
Command Vessel- If this model is included in a CoA fleet, it must be the Commodore's Vessel

If this model is included in a CoA fleet, the fleet may include the "O-Space Assault" Heroic Commodore TAC in their deck.

O-Space Assault

60 VPs

Heroic
Play this card during the Tactical Action Cards Segment of the Pre-Turn Phase.

One model equipped with a Teleport Generator may immediately activate its Teleport Generator and take a Generators Offline Critical Effect Marker.

Choose one squadron assigned to the Flanking Strategic Force. Instead of deploying normally, the squadron may deploy as though they had just moved through a Teleport Generator Portal, emerging at any existing Portal created by a friendly model.

Special Characters

Castellan-Captain Erwin Becker

Castellan-Captain Erwin Becker may be taken as an upgrade to any Medium Armoured model for +15 points. That model gains the Close Quarter Gunnery MAR and the Devastating Munitions Type on all Non-Bombard Ordnance Weapons and becomes the Commodore's vessel, ignoring the usual size restrictions. All models in the squadron gain the Sturginium Boost MAR. A fleet including Castellan-Captain Erwin Becker may play the He's Alive! TAC for free.

I like the idea, especially if the time orb drop ins fit the epicurus! I never thought about that. It would be nice to have another energy blast weapon, even if I think the rules for it need to be tidied up a little (I seriously do not know how to use it, since the picture and the rules contradict each other).

On the other hand, I am very against the teleportation of larges. I remember when 2.0 came out either James or Derek mentioned how hard they found it to balance CoA larges because they could be teleported. It screams of possible abuses; even if our aerial larges are lacking, it could be used by allies (which further complicates balance. there is a good reason the CoA cannot ally with danish gunships!)

A medium teleporter seems much more likely.

I wonder... does the energy blast drop on fit on the side of the Daedalus?  Now THAT would make a good option! Daedalus Command Vessel, armed with 2 energy blast weapons (180 degree p/s fire arcs) and a host of optional combat coordinators to support a close-in brawling build of CoA. Nice high points cost too of course, significant strategic value... how about: (stealing Sebenko's formatting!)

CAS Daedalus-Omega
Modified Daedalus large flyer
Points 215

DR 6 CR 11 Mv 7" HP 9
AP 7 AA 7 CC 2 IR 7

1  2  3  4
P/S Broadsides(S) 10  8  6  4
P/S Energy blast    3d6 3d6 1d6 -
LARGE AERIAL CAPITAL MODEL
45-Degree Template
Turn Limit: 0

Model Assigned Rules: Strategic Value (100), Vulnerable, Fuel Reserves

This model is fitted with an Internal Shield (3) Generator

Options:

This vessel may purchase up to 2 of the following upgrades:

Combat Coordinator: Primary turrets, Sustained fire (1) 8"              20 points

Combat Coordinator: Primary turrets, Close Quarter Gunnery 8"    20 points

Combat Coordinator: Die Hard Attitude 12"                                      10 points

Combat Coordinator: Terror Tactics 3 (CoA Robots) 12"                  10 points

Notes:
Unique- No fleet may include more than one CAS Wrath of Chronos
Command Vessel- If this model is included in a CoA fleet, it must be the Commodore's Vessel

Model note:

Primary turret drop-ons replaced by targeting matrix drop-ons or other cool looking gadgety things.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, my design here is basically a close fire support ship. It is harder to crit than average, but when you do so it can be nasty (two energy blast weapons on the sides is two nice weaker points to aim at).

I wanted the coordinator options to make sense. The fluff behind our primary turrets says that they are smaller, but fire faster. This ship would help with targeting and coordination of that superior rate of fire (hence the option for sustained fire and close quarter gunnery). This would also give our poor primary turrets a nice little boost.

The next pair I decided to use to boost our land game a little as well as naval. Die Hard is always useful on a force that really needs to link fire to be effective and the robot boarding boost has both Arronax and Collosus in mind.

Whilst thinking about this ship though, I had a rather nifty little idea... One I don't think has been explored much before. Does anyone remember rumours of a stealth generator in 1.1? But it was abandoned on the basis of it being awful to balance. Well, this idea is (perhaps) a way to build a similarly aimed vessel. Our brawler-type forces need protection on their way in, but rather than just steal things like guardian generators or bring more dilation fields in... how about this one?

Morpheus class projection ship
Points 160

DR 5 CR 9 Mv 6" HP 7
AP 5 AA 10 CC 4 IR 5

LARGE NAVAL SURFACE-SKIMMING CAPITAL MODEL
Large turning template
Turn Limit: 0

Model Assigned Rules: (Brace yourselves, this may be excessive so I will write them in a nice clear list.)

Strategic Value (25)

Altered Silhouette (Massive+1)

Combat Coordinator: Small Target, CoA Mediums. 8"

Combat Coordinator: Elusive Target, CoA Mediums and Smalls. 8"

Combat Coordinator: Difficult Target, CoA Smalls. 8"

Heavy Ack Ack.

This model is fitted with an Internal time flow generator.

Model note:

I imagine something building of a similar-to-Aristotle hull, but floating. Hologram projectors and stuff in various places. Generally quite long and cool looking :P

This cheap(ish) large is (another) support piece. But this time it supports by making its nearby charges much more difficult to target.

The idea is this ship, armed mainly with hologram projectors and signal jammers, really fouls up the aiming and of the enemy and makes it very difficult to see accurately just what is nearby.

I originally played with the idea of Combat Coordinator: Altered Silhouette (small) CoA mediums  for this, since this would allow easy screening of the vessels, but I discarded the idea since it could be abused (suddenly my mediums can see over each other to fire at a large... no thanks.) and felt a bit clunky. Which is a shame. The idea as presented is still clunky, but essentially makes medium or small harder to hit (-1 to most shots against them).

Add to that the size class of the Morpheus. It counts as Massive +1 size. Very very difficult to see over it unless you are flying, even in the land game where you can perch on hills. It can screen whatever it likes behind its bulk.

This is very useful of course, except it needs to be able to keep up with what it is shepherding. Hence a nice time flow generator.

Another part of being an effective screening unit is making it a nice juicy target. Guardian generators have a similar effect (take out the guardian first!). So this unit has a modest strategic value to make it a little sweeter. It also has all the downsides of pocket battleships! Lower DR, CR, and HP. Additionally, and very unusually for a CoA model, it has no shield! It is a ripe target! Certainly one of the easier CoA models to hurt. Plus its size class makes it very very visible!

On the other hand though... it has no weaponry. Well, except for a stupidly high AA rating. And Heavy Ack Ack. Again, thinking along the lines of protecting its flock, this vessel stands a good chance of clearing SAW squads from the sky! It also a very offputting target to board, which is useful in an unarmed large vessel that wants to charge forward...

But then... the CoA player has just spent 160 points on a vessel practically guaranteed to do no real damage.

Thoughts? I am well aware that, currently, this is an inelegant design in need of refinement.

For the Morpheus you can simplify one section easily.  Simply make it a Massive and remove the Altered Silhouette.  Massive plus the +1 for being a skimmer will accomplish what you intended without an extra MAR. 

Personally I would do away with the time flow and up the movement to 8" and 360 degrees with a shield gen.  Also specify Naval for the coordinators. 

Giving corvettes Difficult target as well as up to 4" extra movement when they decide to strike is going to be hard to balance.  Plus this model is going to need the defenses or it will drop first turn.

(Ye left in the notes for the Chronos! Such is the punishment for theft!)

Now that Teleport generators can have their range modified easily, making a model capable of giving a Large model a "tactical shove" could be less of a game breaker than before (1.1 had 32" range on all of them!- or was it totally unlimited?)

As for simplifying the Morpheus- How about just a Massive Skimmer? Large/Massives are near identical for list building. A Massive skimmer can already see over everything upto a battleship, and blocks line of sight for just about everything.

As for the stack of Combat Coordinator MARs, it might be worth going for a new generator that grants -1 to be hit to all small/medium models in range. It would stack with any pre-existing Elusive/Small Target MARs, which would mimick having Difficult Target., and be much more straight forward.

Have a play with the various drop on's and see what fits where is all I suggest. But the Epicurus and the TDO/EB drop-on are perfect and look awesome. Just change big drone launching turret for either an observation deck / smaller turret / target painter / or such... maybe a bigger shield generator since the EB is short range so it can survive.

Also, being under-slung means it has 360 degree fire arc which makes nasty sense for the EB.

I know it may not be liked as such but a "super-Fresnel" gun-ship just seems something the CoA would do... longer range fire power is their thing and what's better at doing so than a command ship that can sit at the back and observe and direct whilst still handing out some long range support / sniping.