graeme27uk

One for "veteran" players...

So, here's the thing. As I get older and into my more "veteran years" (not senior!) I am finding painting and such more tricky. Now I find myself having to year glasses and even then my eyes get tired and things go "fuzzy". Painting detail really puts a strain on my eyes and so can't do it very long. Even resorted to a magnifying glass but need to be an octopus to hold that and brushes and everything else!

So how do you fellow veterans cope with continuing your modelling whilst fighting off the joys of aging!?

The first link can take some getting used to but can work well to free up your hands while providing stability and magnification.

For the most part I try and stick to using washes/inks to help pick out some details

A model would need to be mounted onto something that would get "the clamps" Some base or cork, attached with tac or some such easily removeable adhesive. The clip arms are usually quite adjustable and can spin and rotate the model easily.

Although the magnifying glass without the clamps also works by just holding the model in one hand and painting with the other, although the clamps allow a hand free to lean on your table, drink a beverage, etc.

Either way both would take a little practice and would likely seem annoying until you get the hang of it, but can be well worth it. At the moment I can only go about 15-20 minutes with the naked eye before things go a little fuzzy.

So, here's the thing. As I get older and into my more "veteran years" (not senior!) I am finding painting and such more tricky. Now I find myself having to year glasses and even then my eyes get tired and things go "fuzzy". Painting detail really puts a strain on my eyes and so can't do it very long. Even resorted to a magnifying glass but need to be an octopus to hold that and brushes and everything else!

So how do you fellow veterans cope with continuing your modelling whilst fighting off the joys of aging!?

How do you define "veteran"? I am 50-something (cough) and have reading glasses and stronger glasses for painting. However I find the grand children much more tiring than painting ;)

The light has to be good though, so I mostly paint in the conservatory these days. The glass roof makes a huge difference.

I bought a magnifying visor years ago.  They are generally marketed towards jewelers. It works good as long as you can get past the fact that you look like more of a dork than usual painting models with it on.  I haven't used it lately, of course I haven't painting anything in a long time either, but I think my wife is going to give me a hard time for using it (I wasn't married last time I used it).

Many now seem to have lights built onto them, that wasn't common when I got mine. 

Like anything, it will take some getting used to, but I found it less intrusive than a mounted magnifying glass because those tend to get in the way.

Well, painting outside in strong daylight helps. I do this when I can- it really helps with colors. Otherwise good light, with daylight spectrum if you can is the best solution. Shadows can be a killer though if you are not careful.

I use stronger reading glasses than I could use to read with. It does reduce your depth of field somewhat (which increases the risk of spillage incidents from bumping the side of the jar / bottle) but overall I'm very happy with the method.