Sign in to follow this  
Hubcap

Alternate Idea for Particle Accelerators

Hello CoA Admirals!

I was looking at the PA and saw it's really good for sweeping smalls and damaging squadrons of mediums but has almost no effect on larges. This has apparently been the weakness of the CoA with their lack of ways to take down larges and thought of a different "weapon style" for it.

It would work similar to the Coeus special rule adding dice to a single shot of the particle accelerator so it could only target an individual model but with a large dice pool for the attack. (A good way to take on large targets)

EXAMPLE:

A low-level flying Euclid With a particle accelerator spread 14/9/7 wants to fire at a battleship in RB 2 and declares it's using the (insert firing method name here) mode to shoot it. So to add it's dice pool together it has 9 + 7 from the one RB further from it for a total attack pool of 16!

Really haven't thought further from this such as should it still be an indiscriminate attack (I say yes) or something else.

What does everyone else think?

This is just for fun of course :) .

So what you want to do is the special attack the robot dread gets to use on any flier it wants and give it to other PA's? it seems like it could be really good idea but it would need to be restricted to surface only from a surface ship because it would be somewhat hard to aim at a flier!

I think this is a great idea. For me the PA is really underwhelming. Yea yes, it hits everything, but does diddly to largera, which as we all know, is one of our weaknesses. I still propose that it hits on 4+ though ;)

Well the idea is to give the CoA an option for a close in attacker that can deal damage to larges. Also I like the idea of a giant slug being shot out and tearing into the hull of a battleship and exploding :D

Also give another look at a fleet building for a more up close fleet

Again this is just for fun of course as I don't think this rule can ultimately be balanced but it's definitely been fun to use. Brings more fear from the larges available to the CoA