We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Cassaralla

First foray into Planetfall

OK after months of saying I wouldn't commit to yet another Spartan Games game I've bitten the bullet and bought myself a Directorate Core Helix as an early birthday pressie.  It arrived today and I am . . . impressed!  I've been in on SG since the beginning and the improvement in sculpts since Uncharted Seas original Dwarfs to these space age tanks is phenomenal!!  I'm also amazed at the size of the miniatures.  Coming to PF as a dedicated DW player I was expecting them to be the size of the ground units I already had, so I am understandably shocked at the revelation that a medium tank for PF is the same as a landship for DW.  It will make painting easier on the eyes!

What comes next though.  While I plan the paint scheme for the newly acquired Hostile Takeover Division, the finances tell me I can manage one more box before the holidays descend.  What shall it be?  I favour the Recon Helix myself but both the Ground Attack Helix and Heavy Helix catch my eye.  Any advice from the experienced Corporate Commanders out there?

Speaking as a victim of all three, Recon and Ground Attack are both solid choices.

While the Heavy Helix does provide some nice long range firepower in a faction that is usually fairly short ranged, they play a little bit differently than the rest of the faction, and as such I'd recommend one of the above instead ("Focus on core competencies", in corporate parlance...)

As for which of the two? Well... One is good for taking and holding objectives (a half Core has enough to do a single full-strength Inf Squadron and one Recon buggy squadron, which is a little light in the 'holding' area), while the other specializes in breaking things (with good attack power, and some fairly rare artillery capabilities)..

I'd say it's a matter of taste, and which strategy you want to play.

The ground attack helix is dangerous... but honestly, one of the most dangerous squads I believe the Directorate have is the squad of 2 core heavy tanks. Those things are absolutely fantastic.

Other than that, I really like the recon helix too. One thing that doesn't seem to fit as well is the Interceptor Helix. We gave so much anti-air stock that I would only take it when you know your opponents are going air heavy or because you love the models (like I do).

I would get another core helix of you can for the heavy tank and the other medium squad. Excellent face smashing units. After that, I would get the Command helix.

If you like the recon Helix, and the Heavy helix I would go with the Command Helix. It has Deadlock heavy infantry giving you a taste of the Recon helix, and it has a long range cyber gun (that also has interceptor) for a taste of the Heavy helix, and it has a strong plasma surge for when the enemy gets too close. The buff the thing provides to the cyber table makes cyber warfare truly a devastating weapon. And it has "artillery support 3". I think it may be the single best helix available to the Directorate. It also does not hurt that it is one sexy model.

edit- definitely need to run desolators in squads of two. so splurge and buy two boxes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.