Sign in to follow this  
doubleones

France V Britannia - Desert HEAT

Tried out my French Armored forces out in a 1000-point game last evening against the vile British. What a game it was!

AAR is on my blog here: http://skisgames.blogspot.com/2015/11/dystopian-wars-aar-french-and-british.html

We had a question come up during the game:

If a spotter is killed after it has spotted a target, does its "spotted" marker go away with it, or does it last until the end of the turn?

The fluff idea behind the rule is that the spotter actually radios the position to the fleet command (or elements capable of Indirect Fire).

... After the guys in the spotting plane have given you an activation advantage turn one and spotted a hidden enemy turn two... no one really cares what happens to them ;). I regularly send them to shoot down enemy SAS and praise my superior tactical skills if they succeed.

R

PS: Keep those reports coming. I am happy to read them and I am a bit jealous to see how many accurate pictures you take. I usually forget to do any fotos after setting up games and when I check them on the PC they are all blurry or they show a ton of gaming aids like dice, templates and the rulebook instead of just the models on the field.

... After the guys in the spotting plane have given you an activation advantage turn one and spotted a hidden enemy turn two... no one really cares what happens to them ;). I regularly send them to shoot down enemy SAS and praise my superior tactical skills if they succeed.

I managed to narrowly  tie (i.e. not get a thrashed by Derek) a game in the last few activations of the turn, by using recon planes to AA an enemy small flier, which I needed for the fleet order...

james

I managed to narrowly  tie (i.e. not get a thrashed by Derek) a game in the last few activations of the turn, by using recon planes to AA an enemy small flier, which I needed for the fleet order...

james

You, Sir, are a genious! :)

Yay! More people need to use comic language and arcs when doing their battle reports, I really enjoy reading them like this! Though, of course, I cannot condone your blatant disrespect for Her Majesty's forces. I was surprised the brunel got so damaged at all, the thing's a tank if ever I saw one with its shield, which I assume your opponent took. Very interesting take on the SAS to have them all start as fighters on both sides, we always mix in dive bombers at the start (and as britannia, that's pretty much all I take, with the 2 AA that they have!)

Nice report, thanks!

Yay! More people need to use comic language and arcs when doing their battle reports, I really enjoy reading them like this! Though, of course, I cannot condone your blatant disrespect for Her Majesty's forces. I was surprised the brunel got so damaged at all, the thing's a tank if ever I saw one with its shield, which I assume your opponent took. Very interesting take on the SAS to have them all start as fighters on both sides, we always mix in dive bombers at the start (and as britannia, that's pretty much all I take, with the 2 AA that they have!)

Nice report, thanks!

The Brunel of course had the anger-inducing Shields. Ziggy's notorious for bad dice rolls on his shields (except for that Steward!) As far as the SAS go, I got in the habit of starting with nothing but Fighters to defend against Dive Bombers. Ziggy eventually got wise to it and started plunking down just Fighters as well in an effort to counter me. It's devolved into a high-stakes meta-game in which the winner gets to re-arm as Dive Bombers!

It did very well because I focus-fired on the Brunel for about two turns until it died. That kept the Sovereign in great shape long enough to get to range band 2. Having the two big guys next to each other forced me to pick one or the other to work on. In a 1000-point game you typically don't have enough resources to effectively deal with two larges simultaneously. Having to work with a short menu makes things challenging.