c0rruptd

c0rruptd's Terrans 2.0

Lately I've been trying to get motivated to actually paint again, and decided the best tactic would be to tackle something that attributed to my lack of motivation in the first place: my Planetfall Terrans.

Now, I think the white-and-blue scheme I originally planned looked great, and I still really like it, but it broke one of my cardinal rules when it comes to paint: A Paint Scheme MUST be Simple and Easy. Because I am nothing if not lazy... I mean, efficent...  ^_^

After much soul-searching and planning (about 4 and a half minutes, including tea breaks) I decided to give in and go for a more 'standard' scheme for my Terrans, and retire my already painted Terrans (which can be seen here) to the Hawker Corporate Security Division. The replacement scheme is kinda based on 'real life' olive-drab camo, with some sci-fi lights, markings and colourings thrown in to break up the otherwise very, well, drab scheme. :P

So, behold! Following adding the final touches in my lunch break, My Planetfall Terrans 2.0: the Re-terran-ing!  :lol:

20151111_142112.jpg

And I'm back! This time with a prototype of my Huscarls, this one nicknamed "Black Eye Carl", due to the fact he has a dark panel below his cockpit 'eye', which I've removed from the rest of his squad. He was part of a batch-painting run with his squad mates and their pet Sinir, but I got sick of that and decided to finish one to see where I was going with the scheme. Seems to have turned out ok, I think... :P

Hopefully by tonight, I'll have the whole squad done! :D

20151112_085717.jpg

20151111_184334.png

20151111_184353png.jpg

And colours and details, as requested! :)

(VMC = Vallejo Model Colour, VGC = Vallejo Game Colour. Most of my paints are Vallejo, with a smattering of other stuff I've picked up over the years)

The base colour is VMC Russian Uniform WW2 which I use an airbrush to apply, as it is quick, easy and gives a very 'smooth' finish. I then 'highlighted' with a quick and very light drybrush of 50/50 Russian Uniform and VMC Green Grey.

The dark grey is simply VMC German Grey, drybrushed with VGC Cold Grey.

The blue is VMC Dark Prussian Blue, then VMC Medium Blue, followed by a final highlight of VMC Sky Blue.

Hope that helps some people. :)

The white looks great, but it was such an absolute pain in the ass to paint it pretty much killed my motivation to paint, and that isn't great... :P

Nope, the old ones have been left as is. They'll be replaced by a new Core Helix box, and left as either 'civilians' for scenarios, or the beginnings of my Hawker Corporate Security Force. Might see if I can find a way to put some red-and-blue lights on them... :)

20151113_120733.jpg

Great scheme. I see that on your hurscarls you haven't followed suit and painted on a window/windshield are you going to do the same with the valkyries and others that dont have a clear cut front screen. I toyes with the idea but was worried the model would look to bland in just camo.

Great scheme. I see that on your hurscarls you haven't followed suit and painted on a window/windshield are you going to do the same with the valkyries and others that dont have a clear cut front screen. I toyes with the idea but was worried the model would look to bland in just camo.

I felt the 'windscreen' painted onto the Huscarls looked a bit silly in my opinion, and especially after looking at the models, it looks like they have a little cockpit/camera pod on the front. So I figured I'd paint them like mini-Odins.

However, for things like the Valkyries, I'll be still painting on cockpits as the look pretty strange without one... I'll pretty much be following the style of my old white ones, as below. :)

single_valk.jpg

Id say get back to work and do the awesome white ones, stop being lazy.

But then I decided much the same with my yellow sorylians. The rest of the soryl I get are going to have to be painted in some other colour, probably black like my firestorm ships. The yellow was just too time consuming and hard.

If the scheme is sapping your will to paint, it's got to be taken out back and shot. Otherwise you aren't going to get very far with your army, really... :P

And I'd rather have a fully painted army in a not-as-striking scheme than only like 10‰ of an army painted in an epic scheme, and the rest in black/resin. Fully painted just looks so much better! :P

Alrighty, and we have further progress, because I got bored and can't do a whole lot else at the moment due to being in self-imposed quarantine... :P

To further my progress on the Recon Helix, I have completed the Freya Light Tank/Buggies! Tried something a little different on the windows, as I wanted to stick with my gold/orange tinting, but an airbrush seemed like overkill (and I really couldn't be bothered masking them all... :P ) so settled for some hand-painted detailing based off a similar technique to the Hirdmen above. :)

20151130_175645(0).jpg

Finally, next up is to finish the two Sinir's. One is complete except for basing and the cockpit (which I will be airbrushing) and the other is primed and airbrushed ready for detailing, so shouldn't be long, and then onto my new GA helix! :D

Reese

Cheer mate!

I think the trick is in picking the right colours (so they aren't too 'different' from each other and form a natural gradient), and then promptly distracting with that little dot of white. It's bright enough it sort of overshadows the gradient enough that it doesn't really matter how good it is, as long as it's close. :)

With an airbrush, it looks even smoother, so I use that on the bigger cockpits like the Valkyries, Hermoors, Dellingrs, Sinirs, and the like. Hopefully have a pair of Sinir's done in the next few days to show you what I meant. :)