Sign in to follow this  
slimeball

Deciding on recon or aerial options

I love spartan for giving our corporate armies lots of great options. We now generallt have competing choices so it wont be the same army people field every game.

My dilemma though is how good our recon and both aerial helices look. I have my favourites and i think i know what i would field (recon and ground attack) but wonder what other peoples thoughts are.

If you were to take 2 of the three above options, which would you take?

The ground attack has fast, devastating firepower on a tough as nails vehicle, and fills a great niche.

The interceptor helix, again fast and great firepower, particularly against the new surge in ground attack aircraft i expect to see. I can imagine making life very difficult for the dellingrs of the world with a cyber attack followed by some interceptor missiles.

And finally the recon, again, loads of interceptor ability, and the HI looks excellent for neutering those heavily shielded tough targets. The buggys make a good, fast moving interceptor option that can also hide a little bit.

What are you favourites and why?

I think that both the recon & interceptor helices are there to provide anti air, so taking both would be redundant... 

I would chose one as well as the ground attack.

Actually if it was me; i would take a second core and have all three!

I've been slowly developing my Directorate model collection and have been strongly considering the infantry Recon helix (as well as the Works Raptor helix, to a lesser degree -- When I add Works Raptor to my Armada fleet I may be more inclined to pursue this option). As many have pointed out however, in order to optimize the Heavy Infantry, you must have a drone nexus in order to accomplish that effectively. Thankfully, the Aerial Interceptor Helix provides the perfect buff this them in a fast, mobile unit. These two synergize well and if you're going to take one --- I would definitely want to take the other.

However --- The Ground Attack Aerial Helix is going to give us the capacity for Artillery Strikes, which around going to be paramount against entrenched infantry and no less effective against anything else. It would appear to give us access to 2 Artillery Markers (1 per Gunship) which, based on my recent battle against Dindrenzi, can be incredibly effective depending on the scatter. And we recieved 5d6 AD as opposed to the average 5d6 AD. For this reason, I intend to forgo the Recox and Aerial Interceptor helixs for the time being and will be picking up the Ground Attack specifically. As well as augmenting the force with additional artillery markers through the Command Helix, which based on the 3x tokens it will bring us to a whopping 5 artillery strike markers. (Probably in game sizes around 6000 points)

The ground attack helix (if i understand the rules right) is one of the only (the only i can think of) squadrons that can zero in and fire the artillery strike in a single activation.

Although i am ready to be corrected on that interpretation :P

Slimeball; that sounds about right...

Deploy right, add some logistic points to get first activation, gently stir and serve your opponent a first activation Alpha Strike with Artillery, CQB and MO...