We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Aunshi

Lets Talk Fliers

I thought with the new Ground Attack rules out, i'd start a discussion on our aerial units. As always, the aquan forces are a little different from the norm, and a bit of discussion would be nice. Prepare for some theory hammer!

Aquan Fliers tend to move slower than the competition, but at the same time boast some of the longest ranged firepower of fliers.

Ground Attack
The ground attack fills a niche among the Aquans in terms of objective clearance, with anti infantry and scatter weapons on highly mobile weapons platforms. 

The Heavy Gunship can hit infantry from 32 inches away with enough AD (and terror) to inflict some serious losses. Terror weapons are most effective when inflicting multiple damage points, and these guys have the AD to do just that. 24AD puts these guys in the same league as our Sedna's, and at 500pts for a full squadron, they should be! Using the long range firepower of these guys to avoid enemy AA, then moving flat out into short range to make use of the Ground Attack MAR, even hitting on a 5+, those 24 dice will do major damage, while hard target -2 will protect from the worst of enemy fire. Because of the 50 inch threat range, these guys work well on the flank, getting around the back of the enemy and then speeding to where ever they are needed on the battlefield. 

The Ground Attack Gunship has the shortest range of all Aquan fliers, but is possibly the most versatile. Precision 1 scatter weapons is.... hilarious! But other than the look on your opponents face, these guys are good for hunting down the enemies objective grabbers, recon tanks and infantry both, and eliminating them! Recon tanks can no longer hide behind buildings. Whats more, the precision 1 gives these guys a bit more utility against the larger enemy tanks out there (never to be planned upon but always welcome when you role that 6). These guys are reasonably tough and capable in cqb, which is good since they have the shortest ranged weapons of all out fliers, and they ain't cheap at 450 a unit. The big danger here is commanders showing impatience and charging them right up to the enemy in turn 1. DO NOT DO THIS! Even moving flat out, every gun your opponent has will focus on them. Try to eliminate the enemy AA, and move around the flanks as the enemy advances, or hold them back to counter the objective grabbers. I know not being able to fire the guns of a 450 pt unit seems a waste at first, but these guys will likely pay off in the later game.

Interceptor Helix

Aquan interceptors all use the much favored (by me at least) Stingray Missile System, giving an enviable 30 inch range, corrosive, and the ability to ignore the hard target on Hover Vehicles (a useful note). They also have Hit & Run, making them hard to pin down for enemy AA units which might lack such a long range. 

Interceptor Gunship; if there was ever an Aquan to be hit by the nerf bat, its this baby. With the firepower of a Heavy Support Tank, trading shielding for mobility, and swapping a nexus designator for crystal armor.... for 50 pts cheaper. I think the crystal armor is a nice gimmick, but have yet to see it used effectively without loosing the gunship in the same turn. 

Fighters; A nice addition to the helix, they work about the same as the gunship, but are 130 pts more expensive for the same punch and not really any more survivable, although if they loose 3 of their number then can make a break for the board edge and withdraw. Worth noting that they outrage everybody else fighters. Another worthwhile thing; these guys have a 54 inch threat range to enemy aircraft. Worth noting on larger boards where flanking maneuvers come into play. 

"Aquan interceptors all use the much favored (by me at least) Stingray Missile System, giving an enviable 30 inch range, corrosive, and the ability to ignore the hard target on Hover Vehicles (a useful note). They also have Hit & Run, making them hard to pin down for enemy AA units which might lack such a long range"

What ability ignores Hard Target from Hover???

Yeah, useful bit of information to keep in mind there, Hover Vehicles are only hard to hit at long range, but not effective range. Stingray missiles have the unique quality of being EF 30", with no LR. This annoys Didrenzi players no end!

I get the feeling I'm going to have to explain this every time I mention it lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.