AVelie

ORBAT Updates?

It'd be nice to get the stats before the models are out. Maybe at some point that'll be the norm.

We need buffs, seeing as we are shootier than the dindrenzi, tougher than the terrans, sneakier than the directorate, surely we should also be faster than the aquans???

Haha, sure, give the Relth all the toys! Wait, I play Aquans in Armada. Uh, never mind...  :D

Max,

I understand that sentiment (if indeed that that is the situation). However, it creates real problems for the stockists/FLGS when situations like this occur. Spartan's business partners are selling an experience; and the credibility of that story is damaged when disconnects like this occur. 

Spartan does a great job of designing, producing, and pushing models into the market...I bought this game because the models were compelling.  However, the game play experience (rules, competitive balance, replayability, organized play support, etc) needs the same level of effort that the models have and it isn't getting it.  

Frankly, I'm worried that Planetfall is going to be a great set of models with an ok play experience that will fail to hit critical mass and wither because it doesn't become enough people's go to game.  

Bad Business. 

I do wish they'd release beta rules and post-launch final tweaked rules but a day or two delay on ORBATs isn't a huge deal. You're likely one of the first people to get them and I doubt you'd built them already but you're right. They either need to provide beta rules or ensure that the ORBATs hit first before they start shipping out to customers. People get peeved otherwise.

I live in Colorado, USA. I seriously doubt that I got mine earlier than most. 

And you are right, a couple of days probably doesn't matter. But to me, it is representative of the struggle that Spartan is having supporting the game plays experience for Planetfall. I want this game to succeed and some things need to be adjusted at the mothership if that is to happen.

I don't mind the delay too much (lets face it how much gaming am I gonna get done over Halloween) but I do kinda mind that we haven't heard anything from the Spartan team about this. Surely the fact that they have products being sold without rule sets being available would be something they should at least comment on.

This happens for all of their systems and generally it's not a bad thing as long as it's sorted soon. The problem is one person trying to get everything done / proofed / uploaded etc when they have a ton of other things to do.

They will be soon guys, just be patient.

It happens for all their systems? It happens frequently? Sounds like an opportunity to change the internal publishing schedule or add labor. Managing customer expectations through communications and meeting those common expectations are key performance indicators for any successful company.

Just because you get used to bad business doesn't mean that is ok.

Spartan expects me to pay for their product immediately, not within a couple of days of taking it home.  I expect that I can use those models when I pay for them.

And lets be clear, these aren't issues that are going to devastate Spartan. But, I am concerned about their ability to support the number of game lines they have.  I don't want my new favorite game (planetfall) to atrophy away because the game play experience isn't being supported like it should.

Whether any of us like it or not, competition for Planetfall dollars is coming.  Another well-known game company is releasing a 10mm, company to regiment size combined arms games next month (Team Yankee).   

Poked a few people in the know, there appeared to be last minute box changes on a race or two that caused over a month of play testing to have to be redone in the time between pre-order and release. Think it was something about unbalanced pricing for the market (aka one race's box MSRP was like half/double another's.)

...and Max hits the nail on the head again, with Spartans VERY good release schedule and the fact I don't know another company of their size, 25ish employees that put out monthly releases, every month, generally for every core race for their systems, we get issues like this where the rules are nailed down but the rule of cool model comes first and thinking about the customer and what they need to pay.

It's not great business, I admit, but we get a lot of models very quickly from Spartan and sometimes tying it altogether has a stumble. Something no doubt they are aware of and trying to improve upon :)