thyphs

Are we currently ranked number 1?

With the changes in Orbats, reducing the effectiveness of certain other fleets like COA...I put the question to you fellow Frenchies, Are we currently ranked number 1 for having the best fleet??

I know what my gaming group would say, they view my french fleet as being brutal. Ive played numerous tornaments this year using my french and never once felt up against it.

Indeed I played one on Saturday, and whilst you can tell the gap between nations is shrinking, My French had an answer for anything it faced in 1k points. I faced off against 2 people who ive faced before. Gary's Impressive Raj firepower list and bob's Prussian and Danes. One thing i noticed is that regardless of which large ship is focused down the other 2 will still power on to victory

my list this time around

st malo

Tourbillon

Tourbillon

3 Dieppes

5 requins

4 requins

Against Gary his 3 Jhassas and 2 candas focused fire on my biggest threat...the st malo...stripping 6hps off in turn 1. However by the end of the game my tourbillons had descended from the clouds in the safety of RB 1 where the jhasa's guns could do anything. Indeed at the end of the game Gary said that it was a catch 22....kill a tourbillon and leave the Malo which could hurt his fleet a bit more or kill the malo and ignore the tourbillons...which caused the same damage.

Against Bob it was a butcherfest where by the end nobody had any AP on any ship...a tourbillon captured against his asguard captured.

I think its that reason why i consider us to be number 1 at the moment....our larges are a pain to deal with and whilst our mediums are no more durable than others..they pack a punch, are quick and well crewed.

I think i may have to use a new fleet soon, as my mates wont let me bring my French to anymore tournaments :P

My answer is no.So far I have only won twice since the orbat update and lost 11 times. Prussian are still beating the **** out of me and FSA are still beating me up. CoA I've split games with between my two groups. This might change but so far I have been out gunned and out defensed from my medium squads compared to other nations. Larges are fine for us as we have a great defense combo when you pay for a cloud generator on larges.

The last five tournaments I've been to the French have come 1st, Including the UK National Tournament, and by a large margin.

The list that we also looked at was 

st malo

Tourbillon
Tourbillon
Cherbourg
5 requins
5 requins

5 requins

what in 1k points can stop 45 reckless boarders then three of the best large's in the game. The main problem is the Tourbillon, even some heavy battleships can only dream of 5 lots of 8 dice on turn one, then the sas and bombs and really good stats. 

Absolutely, as Bob says. The tourbillion being too good probably comes from it never originally being a skyfort, it was basically just a large airship that was given carrier 6 and its firepower was never readjusted to compensate. Which is just getting a bit of a joke atm since it got a points decrease with only minor nerfs in the previous update.

Ive never seen anyone apart from the french use two skyforts in games around, 1k/1250. Any other nation just generally cant do it because the skyforts have average firepower.

The boarding corvettes isn't just a problem that's unique to the french, smalls atm in most lists are just a corvette spam, especially boarding corvettes. At the start of the new ed, corvettes were lowered in points because no body used them and now its just gone crazy.

As Bobs example above, 15 requins in 1k, im a competitive gamer, but I would just walk away from that list, there would be little point in playing it.

Dont be silly thyphs, of course French are not number one. That is the spot reserved for the covenant :)

even now.

French are very very good though, their larges are tough nuts to crack and their air force is very very good. But then, this has always been the case. It is part of the french fleet design I think. In a meta that tends towards top heavy fleets, the french will probably stand out as being near the top of the power pyramid (it is not a curve, it has a point at the top and that point is the CoA :D)

Any 1k-1.25k french fleet that starts off with a Malo and two tourbillons will be a nightmare, since that is one of the best heavy battleships and two of simply-the-best sky fortress combining to be a significantly high % of the fleet total. The Malo still falls when a squad of Zenos waltzes up to it though. I am not sure I have ever tried to really kill a tourbillon. I have damaged them to reduce their firepower but generally it is a unit I rely on outmaneuvering.

Corvette rushes are a fact of the game, be that for better or worse. They die easily and taking a few flyers reduces their ability to hide. I think everyone by now has figured out strategies to cope with them. Personally, I recommend particle accelerators and platos :D I do feel their lack if I field a fleet without corvettes, but I do tend to use frigates a fair amount too. Attacker frigates will ruin anyone's day at rb2 and are excellent at tackling corvette squadrons if they get the drop on them. Diogenes are just so so useful to my covenant fleets. Cinquedas are death on the waves, and Furys are plain nasty. Now some frigates do need a little bit of looking at (Protectors, I am looking at you!) to bring them up to scratch, but I think the choice between corvette and frigate is not a clear cut one and will often depend on the rest of your fleet. Again, large heavy metas will probably see a lot more value in corvettes due to how efficiently they can take out those larges. This does not mean the frigate is useless.

Hmm, sorry, I think I meandered off topic there.

French are good, possibly even the most powerful, but they lose out to the covenant on good looks and fun so they can't claim the top spot :P

(Besides, those french players are all a bit strange. Have you ever met a normal one? :P They don't even cackle madly when firing their heat lances, which is the closest the poor dears can get to a proper laser... There is just no helping some people :( )

My answer is no.So far I have only won twice since the orbat update and lost 11 times. Prussian are still beating the **** out of me and FSA are still beating me up. CoA I've split games with between my two groups. This might change but so far I have been out gunned and out defensed from my medium squads compared to other nations. Larges are fine for us as we have a great defense combo when you pay for a cloud generator on larges.

Hubcap, what kind of list you running, and indeed facing against?? 

it also depends if your fluffing it or playing more competative lists.

Thamoz, Thamoz , Thamoz........

Its nice that you cling to your dead fleet like a real hardcore player ( ok im joking, COA are not dead, just their best weapon nerfed )

I always did rank COA slightly higher, due to being more durable, if not slightly more at risk from boarding threats. However with the Drone Nerf Im not so sure..

I do agree with everything you said though,.......apart from the zenos taking a malo,....they wouldnt survive :P

Hey man, Zenos are what I bring out when I need to teach some Ruskies that the CoA is better than them, even at close range. Eventually people around my club will realise that yeah, I am that good, and not my fleet being OP. CoA isn't OP, it's just blessed by being the best looking and best painted fleet at my club.

The French are, I believe, after the latest updates, number one ahead of the penguins in particular with the drone spam trick neutered. 

Since the Penguins are inherently evil and vile, discussion of the relative physical beauty is moot in that regardless of external looks, the filth and corruption that underlies the South Polar Infection renders any ephemeral appearance merely window dressing, much as putting designer clothing on a notably ugly pig.

French do well at competitive, time limited level due to their ability to hit hard and fast whilst their larges are hard to crit. In a longer game I find they get mauled unless they have been super aggressive. I actually think the French are relatively difficult to use in scenario's that are not "Kill everything" because they are fragile under certain circumstances.

Given the ORBAT changes I want to give it a month or two more and see how things pan out. I for one reckon the KoB will rise to higher tier due to how beefed they are now.

Also the reason could be that French players are just better at doing post match admin!

Corvette rush only scared me when the Saxony was cheaper and nastier. I find corvettes are easily boarded themselves by other corvettes or, as Tham says, shot by air units.

They are also top targets for area bombardment from heavy bombers and the like, especially as they need to be close. 

Dieppe with aggressive crew however... now that is a scary prospect!

The faction that wakes me up with cold shivers is the EoTBS. Especially with Chinese support. Fire@will has the misfortune of being in Norfolk tomorrow and I am going to have a 1250pt Ironclad game.

Again I agree with you likeAsir ! Last we tournament in Montpellier has seen an EotBS winner, with a 100% victory. I finish 2nd with my RoF with 2 victory and a draw and the best kills vs loses average (+1150 in 3 game at 900), but the eotBS proven more flexible and "all rounder" than us...

Corvette rush only scared me when the Saxony was cheaper and nastier. I find corvettes are easily boarded themselves by other corvettes or, as Tham says, shot by air units.

They are also top targets for area bombardment from heavy bombers and the like, especially as they need to be close. 

Dieppe with aggressive crew however... now that is a scary prospect!

The faction that wakes me up with cold shivers is the EoTBS. Especially with Chinese support. Fire@will has the misfortune of being in Norfolk tomorrow and I am going to have a 1250pt Ironclad game.

I, for one, am more scared of Devaks... Glad I'm the only one fielding those!

Serious pres?

Regent got the same making it a legitimate choice. The tweaks to mediums and smalls alone was worth it! I felt the only one missed was the Vengence, possibly the illustrious, and the hawk and... 

But that doesn't change the fact that KoB are now gin swilling death machines and kick ass!

Taking my KoB to the next ironclad event and I intend to leave with some scalps.