Grim110

Drones. Too good? (Edit: nerfed too much?)

@Sebenko: Even with a minimum of just 1 Kepler and going mostly fighters you have a decent chance to drop at least 10 drones "early" turn 2 and relaunch a squad of at least 4 fresh drones ready to strike turn 3. Now if you are a bit lucky/unlucky and get only 3-4 of your 10-12 drones to respawn or you get a nice 7-8 does make a difference, but will hardly decide a game as you it will just change if you can respawn 3 or 5 of them to strike turn three where most games are already coming to an end (and where most standard SAS are heading back to their Carriers to get new ammo IF they make it back at all). Imho the key really is to enforce enough feedback rolls early turn 2 so that you can and will gain as many additional drones as possible for use during turn 3 (and then again with a lesser effect for turn 4). I did run tests with drone heavy lists and fleets without too many drones and I was fine with both ways to build a fleet.

One nice thing was that you can now put up a good fight with enough fighters (10-15) against dronespam fleets and not really win air superiority, but do a heroic air battle that will slowly deplete the drone reserves after two waves so that you won't auto loose any longer if the enemy sits on the far side of the world behind some islands.

For a low drone setup imho an Aristotle with an attached Kepler is a nice choice as it gives you a hard hitter as well and I still like using an Epicurus as a pretty safe place to put your Commodore. I am fine with the Dreadophantus and the Epicurus too. Just in my personal (limited) experience the current Euclid and the Pericles struggle a bit for very different reasons. This could be personal preference though.

R

Last game I made about 15 drone feedback rolls and passed all but two. I have the same chance of the inverse happening, which would have meant I'd be unable to relaunch any drones (I didn't get to do any relaunches that game anyway, but for different reasons). It's all good quoting 'average' numbers, but we all know dice don't just follow the average- we've all fluffed big attacks and boarding attempts. Making it based on a dice roll is poor design, and doesn't allow the CoA player to mitigate those rolls in any way.

A carrier heavy list will need to make less of those rolls, as they'll have more drone squadrons to claim air superiority earlier, and will need to pass fewer relative to the number of drones they have.

I now feel like I have to take two carriers to be at all competitive. Especially as our one of best non-DN dice pools is part of a carrier squadron now.

Yep, same chance to happen the other way around. Btw. you know that the chance of what you experienced is around 0.025?

I understand that you dislike the dice roll, but I have to disagree that is it poor design. We have all seen single covettes damaging battleships or getting a tripple crit on one battleship salvo. Its part of a wargame that uses dice to determine results. Personaly I find the dice roll at the start of each turn to determine who starts much more game deciding than any other roll.

Of course, I really did mean that every game I'll pass or fail all but two of my drone rolls.

If I somehow didn't do that, it's still very possible that a CoA player may end up with no re-launchable drone squadrons (and the reverse, that their opponent's smart playing with SAS can be rendered totally irrelevant) because of a few dice. It's another axis of variability that just isn't needed.

DW, like many wargames, is about making probabilities favourable, and the only way to negate the feedback roll is just to have more drones in the first place. In any other situation, you're working towards making sure those probabilities are in your favour (E.g. AD pools and hit numbers). With drones, there's little to none of that, and it stacks another roll on top of the roll you have some measure of control over.

Players should be rewarded for playing intelligently with their investment in carriers- which is significant for the CoA.

EDIT: Here's another idea that's better than the tacked on feedback roll mechanic.

CoA drones gain CR3.

If a drone's CR is reached, instead of removing the drone to the scrapyard, remove it from the game entirely. The attacker may still choose to assign hits to meet only the DR of a drone.

Essentially, if the attacker kills some drones, they can use spare hits to remove drones from the game. They can also focus hits to remove drones, or spread them out to just clear them off the board.

OP? Make the drones DR1, or give attackers +1 to hit- easy to remove from the board, harder to kill permanently, but a canny opponent can take them out for good.

With the feed back the norm of 50% I can see how it would drive the temptation to have more drone swarm to lessen the effects of having them stay dead. So instead of making a new rule, or changing number. Just change the roll? Instead of 1-3 fail maybe just a 1-2. this would make less drone spam effective. But flooded drone spam nerfed to point. 

@Haloss: Tests proved the 4+ working better and being of better balance than a relaunch on 3+. Thanks to the 10 local air support drones a low Carrier fleet can actually relaunch at full Carrier capacity at least once. And a 3+ relaunch does not hurt a drone heavy fleet at all as most games of DW end at turn 3 or 4 as a latest point.

R