Presidente

Line of sight

If tank A is firing at tank B but tank C blocks 99% of the view, but because a slight slither of the base is visible its a viable target, you have to be kidding me......

ON another note, can you use sky drop markers to block the deployment of artillery markers, since they have a  4" denial zone on them? seems a big gamey if so.

Ta for answers :)

Disappointing about the line of sight, it should probably something like at least 50% of the model or something like the dystopian wars line of sight rules. just being able to basically ignore blocking models isn't great game depth.....

Its not like you can pick your targets in a squad anyway. You always have to shoot the closest target first.

Though I could see your point if it was firing through/around friendly models, but then one could argue that they make space for each other to fire.

Planetfall is designed to play fast. That means rules at an appropriate scale for the number of models on the table.

Line of sight is a perfect example of this- can you see it, yes or no?  About as quick and easy as it can get!  Shooting represents a squadron vs squadron action, and unless both squadrons are stationary, the LOS will be changing all the time, but for the sake of practicality, we have to resolve it at a moment in time. We are abstracting a few minutes worth of fire into one action.

In general, the more units and models on the table, the more abstracted the rules should be. For a skirmish game with 10 infantry on the table, tracking wounds or specific injuries per model is the right level of detail. For a Napoleonic game, with hundreds, or even thousands of infantry, plus cavalry and artillery, it isn't!

James

I love that i can use my laser marker and as long as it goes from one base to another there is line of sight, its so quick and easy, no arguements, no kneeling down and tilting your head, working out percentage coverage. Just a glowing red line that goes from my model to theirs.

i have to say I agree, and Slimeball - your laser marker just made life so much easier. It meant you could eat my brave Lizards that much quicker hahaha

As for area denial for markers? I am placing my artillery where I want it to do most damage. If my opponant is considering altering his marker placement to react to me - then i have kind of won a bit of a victory. In a game where there are 2 sky dropping armies then i can see it being a bit more tactical.