Azriall

Drilling For A Flag

Pin Vice with a 0.5/0.25mm drill bit would be the cheapest way to do this. You can get sets of drill bits and pin vices pretty cheap on ebay, any good marketplace or in hobbyshops.

Next level up you could use a Dremell with a drill stand or even a small stand electric drill. You'll still need the drill bit and for the Dremell you'll need a drill mount. These give you power and might be more accurate through use of a stand, but at the same time will cost you more (and if buying electric tools you want to buy good ones not cheap ones so it could easily cost you the best part of £50 to £100).

Ive heard people talking about drilling for flags and magnets. What drill would u use to do a 0.5/0.25mm hole. Must be tiny. And any any idea where I could acquire one

Resin is very soft. A pin vise (which is a tiny hand drill when equipped with a tiny drill bit) would be more than sufficient. A dremel would be overkill.

Just do a search for: " pin vise ".

For flagstaffs two inexpensive possibilities are:

• Nylon bristles from a cheap brush (£1 pound shop or $1 dollar store variety will do nicely). These will work like a whip antenna.
  • Paper clip wire from the ordinary small size paper clip. Stiffer but will straighten easily if bent out of shape. One posh option here is to go for the plastic-coated variety in a color that works with your chosen colour scheme. I have seen them in black and red.

I bought a set of drill from a model railway and hobby supplier they had a set of drills 15 in total .3 to 1mm with a pin vice with the correct colet these have worked really well.

Stu

Hi Azriall,

Yep a pin vice is the tool you need.

I used one when drill out the gryos on my war gyro. (More detail on my blog)

P8091777.JPG

This is the holes it made, but that was with the thickest drill bit i have. The smallest would be about half the diameter shown and would be prefect for drilling out a flag hole.

P8091774.JPG

Depends on where you are looking, but the best drill bits I found were described as 'wire gauge' rather than by metric or imperial measurements.

depends on the reason for drilling a hole. if it for a magnet then 'wire gauge' drill are worse than useless as magnets do not come in 'wire gauge' sizes but only metric or imperial measurements.