Sign in to follow this  
Jester238

Why would I use the Namazu upgrade?

I just purchased a patrol fleet box of Aquans after splitting the RotO box with a buddy. Before I assemble the cruisers I wanted to pop in and ask why I'd ever want to use the heavy cruiser upgrade piece. As I understand it, you need at least two of said cruiser to make a heavy cruiser squadron... What am I missing?

Aquan Heavy Cruisers mix very well with their regular Cruiser brethren.  Their increased firepower, mines and PD contribute greatly to the squadron, if you can afford the points.   Well worth drilling a magnet hole.  ;-)

I have two sets of drilled and magnetized Cruisers/Heavy Cruisers. I did not use the 3mm magnets, but the next size up, 4.5mm. The reason, the "noses" are not heavy, but they are very easy to bump. So the heavy magnets have worked out better.

A hint about lining up the noses, take extra care and make sure the magnets are inserted in the hulles with the same polarity. Also, slightly recess both magnets so that they do not touch, this will allow you to center the nose pieces easier.

To get the polarities the same in the hulls, make a Magnet stick. Glue a magnet to any old scrap. Start by picking up another magnet with the magnet stick. "Paint" the exposed side of the second magnet with a permanent marker. Then glue the magnets, painted side into the hulls. Now they will all the be same polarity. Your gaming life will be so much easier.

Oh, don't use the magnet stick for the opposite magnet....

Once the hull magnets have been glued, you can use the same "painting" method for the nose magnets. Pick up a magnet with the hull and paint the exposed surface with the permanent market. You guessed it, glue the painted surface so it is inside the nose piece.