FSAHoops

Dreadnought Robot?

well, I know really need this model.. I'm still calling it liberty prime. I wonder how much of a pain it will be to magnetize?

I got mine yesterday and am in the process of magnetizing now. If you have a land and naval American Fleet i'd suggest magnetizing the bases to the shins, the minigun's/hammer hands to the arms, the shoulders to upper arm and the rest can pretty much be pinned and glued you only really need to magnetize 2 areas maybe 3 if you don't mind the position of the minigun/hammer arms and the magnetizing is pretty simple to do.

I got mine yesterday and am in the process of magnetizing now. If you have a land and naval American Fleet i'd suggest magnetizing the bases to the shins, the minigun's/hammer hands to the arms, the shoulders to upper arm and the rest can pretty much be pinned and glued you only really need to magnetize 2 areas maybe 3 if you don't mind the position of the minigun/hammer arms and the magnetizing is pretty simple to do.

it doesn't look to hard to magnetize, I may need some decent magnets for it then. I watched a unboxing video of it this morning. I've got a start of a FSA navy and air force.. the land forces start in the new year with the dreadbot and then a armored core box.  

There have been some requests about feedback for the new Dreadbots. I have some feedback about the Restitution Dreadnought Bot for the FSA. Since I don't have the model and did not playtest it yet I'm gonna look at the stats and try to say something about it. Mostly I will be comparing the Hammer to the Colt version.

The Colt-gun version is awesome. The stances are cool, usefull and fitting for the FSA. Maybe it is a little bit too powerful but I can't really say it without trying. This would be easily fixed by removing some AD from the guns without changing the stances (not my preferred solution) or from the rockets (more about this later). Another easy fix is increasing the model cost. 

Now the Hammer version is in my opinion very weak. Yes, it is cheap: the cheapest Dreadbot. However I don't see a reason to take this one except for the cool factor. Especially in a naval scenario, the Enterprise is better than the Hammer version. In a armoured scenario it might be worth taking if you really can't find the 50 points, but spending 50 points for the guns is way more effective. 

One of the problems is that when getting the guns you only loose a D3 on the Hull-Breaker and the special Hammer ability while gaining incredible ranged firepower. 

The loss of D3 on the Hull-Breaker means nothing. The Restitution is a robot so it needs to shoot at its boarding target. Thus when boarding with the Coltitution you first get shot by 2x 15 AD Rockets, then with 2x 15 AD close quarters Sustained Fire 6 gunnery (if undamaged) and then boarded by 10 Elite AP Hull-Breaker D3 Crushing Impact. For most targets, including dreadnoughts this is already 4 to 5 crits (1 on average from the rockets, 2 from the guns, 1 from the Crushing Impact boarding). If you include Punishing Gunnery this is 3 damage from the rockets, 6 damage from the guns, 2+D3 damage from boarding. Minimum of 12 HP damage (10 without Punishing Gunnery), plenty to take down any dreadnought. So the D6 Hull-Breaker is overkill. 

The hammer special ability of forcing a morale check on every armoured squad within 12" is nice, but situational. I like it though, it is fluffy. However why does it not work for naval squads? I can imagine hitting the water with a hammer like this creates a very big wave which could induce panic in nearby ships. This would make it a bit better for naval scenarios. Another thing, the way it is worded now, I would say that the Restitution itself needs to make a morale check when using the ability. I don't think this is intented, though it should not be a big problem with Die Hard Attitude, 1 reroll and propably the commodore on the Restitution.

So how to fix this? I think first that the Colt version should lose the Hull-Breaker MAR. It also makes sense when looking at the model, you don't want to slam another unit with the guns. They are strong but the risk that they might get damaged, or the barrels bend slightly is too big! The gun version is not made for boarding, it is for shooting stuff in the face!

I already mentioned the rockets when talking about the Colt version. A possible fix for the Hammer version is giving it more rockets than the Colt version. The current rocket spread is 2x 15 12 10 for both versions. For the Hammer version this is its only ranged attack, which is not impressive (the 160 point Guilford squad got a better RB3 linked attack and the 195 point Yorktown squad got a better RB2/3/4 linked attack). 

For the Colt version this is very nice, it has very good ranged weapons and the rockets supplement this well. Change the spread to 14/11/9 per battery and give the Colt version 2 batteries (shoulder mounted) and the Hammer version 3 batteries (2 on the shoulders, 1 on the hammer, it is a rocket hammer after all). 

Another possibility (I like the rocket fix more) is to give the Hammer version extra ap (maybe increase the AP to 14?). I assume a dreadbot will never get in melee range without taking damage and possibly losing some AP. With 14 AP there is some room for taking damage, while with only 10 AP you are very fast in the not-so-useful range.

A crazy idea I just got instead of the current hammer slam:

Rocket jump: The Restitution sprints and jumps by overloading the skimmer jets and using the rocket batteries for an extra boost. It lands next to a target, slamming it with his hammer!

This gives the Restitution, Advanced Engines (+4"), Min move 6" and it can only move straight ahead. It must end the movement next to a hostile target and must board this target, it can't use the rockets since they are used for the jump. It gains 5 (or even more) AP for the attack. Also the Restitution lands with such force that all squadrons within 12" must take  a morale test. 

Numbers can be tweaked of course, but I think this is an awesome attack and really fits the model. 

TLDR:

Colt version is cool, maybe too strong. Potential fix: remove ad on rockets, remove hull breaker. Try to keep stances and gun spread as it is now. Maybe increase model cost.

Hammer version: nice idea, too weak compared to Colt version. Potential fix: add another rocket battery, add extra ap. In combination with the removed hull breaker and reduced rockets on Colt version it should be viable.

Crazy hammer idea: sprint and jump slam a target.

So what do you think? 

Just to clarify: in that new proposed Rocket Jump, you would not be able to pivot on the spot to adjust your facing before moving the minimum move, requiring you to position your Restitution in the turn beforehand, right? Because I like that. It rewards planning.

Recently I have played 2 games with the dreadbots, 1 against and 1 with the my own. In both games the big bots proved to be the key to victory. You have 2 choices, either you dedicated firepower to kill the bot, and the enemy fleet kills yours, or you try to keep your objective in mind and the dreadbot is truly dreadful.

In both games it was my FSA vs KoB. In the 1st game I was able to use a combo of dive bombers and Marines to weaken then prize the Windsor. At the end of the game however I had not completed my objective of killing the commodore, and my fleet was shot to hell. This was because I had spent too much firepower on the Windsor.

In the 2nd game I had John Henrys big brother, armed with the Colt wrist cannons. My opponent, same KoB player, took Raj allies and kept his eyes on his objective. With rugged 2 and shield 3 my dreadbot took no damage and by the end of turn 3 I had won with the loss of a Boston sunk, and an Annapolis captured, and a few frigates sunk.

The cherry on top was the last shots of the game. I was in range band 1 and just unloaded everything into the Raj heavy battleship with Brianna ( thats my bots name I refuse to use the suck ass designation ) . It was brutal, the Raj BB was reduced to 1 hp, and corrosion took care of that.

Both games were 1250.

Hi,

I know that this is a little off topic but can you please report your testing battles with

Dreadbots to the Dystopian Wars Online Campaign?

Right know there is event going on, called Battle for Malta and its up to players to

decide (by reported battles) if Malta will stay in British hands or if it will be captured

by Imperial Bond.

For more information please visit: http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/16832-dystopian-wars-open-online-campaign/page-2

If you want to report battle plese use: http://ohmcz.eu/dw/reportc.php

Feed back it is a robot. I am not getting it!

I will say that the other Ed in our group did pick it up and it does look better than I expected. He did a nice job on it and even magnetized the arms and bases.