Balor

Official Marauders & Mercenaries Thread: Oroshan Imperium

At the beginning it was suppossed to be a battleship, this was changed to dreadnought later. Maybe they changed the points and name but not the rest of the stats :rolleyes:

*facepalm* I really hope that's not what happened... but you might be right. Only, even for a Battleship this is a little... unique. It has a better chance of competing with BB's than DN's, but it's clearly going to be doing that via endurance & Torpedoes.

Well, I canceled my preorder of the "Armageddon." I hadn't been this excited for a model in a long time, and it is bitterly disappointing to me to see it given such abysmal stats. Spartan just lost themselves $30.

At the beginning it was suppossed to be a battleship, this was changed to dreadnought later. Maybe they changed the points and name but not the rest of the stats :rolleyes:

I have a feeling there was a major shake up over at Spartan and perhaps they lost whoever was in charge of the Firestorm project. Whoever has taken over doesn't really have a clear understanding of the game. You are right that these are battleship stats on a Dreadnought. It was also billed as a battleship initially so I think tyhey made it bigger in the 3d program and stampped it out.

That being said I hear the model is great so I just ordered one. Now I will just wait for DE42 to house rule the stats, lol.

Could be fluff related ? Maybe their largest ships hold most of the population and their performance is downgraded because of the need for room ? Be interesting to see if their Battleship , if they get one , is a firepower beast or not.

Speaking of dreadnoughts..... Where's the mighty Shantu ???????

Could be fluff related ? Maybe their largest ships hold most of the population and their performance is downgraded because of the need for room ? Be interesting to see if their Battleship , if they get one , is a firepower beast or not.

Either way its not worth the 270pts.

Fluff is never a good reason for bad game mechanics.

That being said I hear the model is great so I just ordered one. Now I will just wait for DE42 to house rule the stats, lol.

I'm done with custom content until a new rule book is released. Creating reliable custom content requires a solid foundation with explicit rules descriptions, details, and examples. I've lost interest in any custom content under the current rule book. As previously announced, my house rules document (which reconciles problems between v1 & v2) will be the last thing I produce for Firestorm until I see an improvement over the v2 rule book.

Fluff is never a good reason for bad game mechanics.

I'm done with custom content until a new rule book is released. Creating reliable custom content requires a solid foundation with explicit rules descriptions, details, and examples. I've lost interest in any custom content under the current rule book. As previously announced, my house rules document (which reconciles problems between v1 & v2) will be the last thing I produce for Firestorm until I see an improvement over the v2 rule book.

That is too bad. You are a real help to this game.

Sorry DE42... He's got a point. ;)

You can't help yourself. :P

It's true, I will find the uncontrollable urge to create something...

But Firestorm Armada is not my only hobby. I'm starting a list for Infinity. All Nomads, Tomcats & Hellcats, and I'm going with a Peacekeeper Commando paint scheme.

All Nomads, Tomcats & Hellcats

I hope you don't mean only hellcats and tomcats, because that army will be unplayable in most competitive eviroments (sadly, as I very much wanted a similiar force at one time)?

I hope you don't mean only hellcats and tomcats, because that army will be unplayable in most competitive eviroments (sadly, as I very much wanted a similiar force at one time)?

Actually, it includes a couple Intruders so I can field a better Hacker & Lieutenant. Follow that up with the hero unit Señor Massacre to handle my close-combat problems. He's essentially Dead Pool. Was also looking at taking Father Lucien for the Viral Sniper Rifle.

And the Hellcats are an amazing deal if you use them with Combat Jump. They seize vital locations on the board quickly, and can screw over your opponent at the very start of the game if handled right. I've used them to eliminate enemy snipers & hackers in Round One. The fact that they can drop in packing Heavy Machine Guns and a Hacker right up in people's faces is extraordinary.

Luckily, I don't play tournaments or extremely competitive opponents. So far I've only lost games due to tragic tactical errors, but this is the first game of its kind I've played. Nevertheless, I have to say that a Corregidor Hellcat/Tomcat list is entirely playable if handled right.

It suffers from one major issue though- critical order shortage. You can either drip the AD troops through few turns, and maybe have a good order pool by turn 2-3 if the enemy haven't just killed them by then, or mass-drop on turn 1, and hope they survive the coming enemy turn. I've never seen anyone take more than 2 AD troopers and still have effective list tbh, these AD guys just won't have enough orders to shock-and-awe the opponent (and no, it's not my experience only, if you ask on the official board the usual answer is 2-3 cheap Order donors, 1-2 heavy hitters, skirmisher and 1-2 AD troopers, with 1-2 "oddball" units, if someone asks for the best list makeup). Now, a lot depends on local terrain in that game, so I won't say you have no chance of winning at all, but with a lot of AD troopers, it's a very uphill struggle.

Regardless, my experience over the past several weeks has been very favorable. I'm not interested in power gaming, and the players who oppose me at Valhalla seem to be fairly casual as well.

So if I want to field a Combat Jump Hellcat/Tomcat/Intruder force themed after Peacekeeper Commandos, I can. And I'm enjoying it immensely. Despite my being a newb, I have not been utterly trounced by any of my opponents so far. And while some players do use the "cheerleader" tactic, that doesn't bother me or impede my own style of play.

So if I want to field a Combat Jump Hellcat/Tomcat/Intruder force themed after Peacekeeper Commandos, I can.

Hard as it may be to believe, i was genuinely concerned that you might have trouble with that list, not making a point of anything. If it works for you, it's cool (as I said, I very much wanted a similiar list once)

Hard as it may be to believe, i was genuinely concerned that you might have trouble with that list, not making a point of anything. If it works for you, it's cool (as I said, I very much wanted a similiar list once)

I'm not sure I belive it :P.

I just meant I'm not muscled out by more powerful builds because the players are fairly casual.

And the Hellcats are an amazing deal if you use them with Combat Jump. They seize vital locations on the board quickly, and can screw over your opponent at the very start of the game if handled right. I've used them to eliminate enemy snipers & hackers in Round One. The fact that they can drop in packing Heavy Machine Guns and a Hacker right up in people's faces is extraordinary.

Luckily, I don't play tournaments or extremely competitive opponents. So far I've only lost games due to tragic tactical errors, but this is the first game of its kind I've played. Nevertheless, I have to say that a Corregidor Hellcat/Tomcat list is entirely playable if handled right.

Same here on opponents (although sometimes we do run pretty fierce lists).

I use an ALEPH force composed of 5 Dakinis, 2 Garudas, a Maruts TAG Lt, 2 PostHumans (Engineer & Hacker), 2 Netrods and 2 Yudbots.

That's right, barring the PostHumans, everything in this force is a remote, or otherwise hackable. Yes, it is a massive weakness, but I was going for theme (AI/Non-human assets only).

I have an alternate list that trades out the TAG for an Asura Lt, Naga Hacker, PH Sniper & Doctor (Instead of Hacker & Engineer), and trades a Dakini for an EVO Repeater Probot.

Getting back on topic though, for 270 points this DN just seems grossly overpriced.

Okay, sure, it's got lots of torps, and lots of HP… but so do other dreads. The Apex has plenty of torps (only fore though), as does the Titan (not quite as good up close). All the other dreads have GUNS… and this thing is easily out-tanked by both the Apex and the Retribution.

So how does it justify costing as much as any of these beasts, while bringing nothing comparable to the field?