Sign in to follow this  
cas

Need advice - paint stripping

Hey all - had an accident with my spray cans (actually two in a row of the same colour) so my sorylian fleet needed to be stripped. 

On advice elsewhere in this forum Ive put a couple in simple green and and the rest in isopropanol. However the simple green doesnt appear to be doing anything and the isopropanol seems very slow. The models have been in there for over a week now.

Does anyone have experience with FSA resin and how long they can stay in the stripper before damage occurs? Seriously not happy with the idea of rebuying my fleet but not sure what else to do.

Purple Power, you need something strong to break the bonds the spray paint has made with the substrate.  You'll need gloves as it's a liquid lye product and lye is caustic (chemical burns).  If you're in the states just about every auto parts store has it and so do several hardware store chains.

Actually im more interested in how long I can leave it in the isopropanol. The paint will come off eventually I just want to avoid model damage.

Purple power and totally awesome are not available in australia where I live and hopefully you can understand Im not keen on ordering solvents from overseas given that the first two recommended ones havent worked well.

My experiance is with the simple green and has been very positive. The odd part is that visually you don't see much happening but run a bit of water and go to it with a toothbrush and everything comes off.

Try this article. My experiences with this process have been fairly similar.

Its not that a dilute isopropanol bath is slow, its that it doesn't remove paint in a directly visible way. What it does is slighty dissolve the paint, and allows it to be rubbed off - all you then have to do is use an alcohol bath and light scrub (optional) to remove the residue that's underneath.

Gave washing it with a wire brush and methylated spirits a shot draco. Still having trouble getting to to rub off, the stiff wire brush has removed most of the easily accessible stuff but cant reach the crevices. Toothbrush reaches the crevices but isnt stiff enough.

Its been 11 days in the isopropanol now. Ill give it another three then pull them out and let them dry so they dont get damaged.

Bigben: Im not actually sure that the simple green we get in australia is the same stuff you get elsewhere. I got the version that has a solvent as the active ingredient but yeah, no dice. The stiff wire brush has removed some stuff but it doesnt look like the simple green helped much. Certainly far less useful than the isopropanol.

Its interesting that you're having issues with the iso - I use army painter black spray for undercoating, and i've never had an issue with a dettol bath stripping it back. Could be somthing in the yellow spraypack? Other ingredients in the dettol maybe?

Also, what sort of issue did you have with the spray? Was it something ending up on the surface from the spraypack, or is the spray thin enough that you could just undercoat it again with minimal loss of detail? (You are using multiple thin coats rather than one think coat when spraying, yes?)

As for damage, if you sit the resin in the bath for too long, it will soften it, but letting it air dry for a few days should fix that up. I say should - nothing works the same way everywhere, due to different climates, surroundings etc.

Well, if you get desperate, spend some cash and get a high-quality nail polish remover. I stripped several plastic models this way, and it doesn't take long, but I have no idea how it will react to the resin. Could release toxins, could make the resin super soft, could have no effect.

It should attack the paint-resin bond effectively, such that the toothbrush can remove it after a 5-15 minutes soak.

I got a PVC cleaner from the hardware store, works like a charm. It wasn't super cheap (8-10 EUR for a litre) and you have to be careful around varnished furniture because even a single drop makes a hole in the varnish (my poor kitchen table :wacko:). But as far as I can tell it doesn't hurt the resin at all: I left a model in there the whole night and it's none the worse for wear. :)

My understanding is that the rubbing alcohol should the the 90% variety, not the lower "proof" stuff more commonly available. I've always used Simple Green on resin and had very good results.

I have heard that very long term soaking in simple green, or similar cleaners, can have a negative effect on resins, but I haven't tried it. (I regularly use simple green for metal.)

For acrylic paints, I have found that high strength isopropyl "rubbing alcohol" is very effective at stripping paint. You can find it in strengths up to 99% if you search hard enough. Try pouring a little on and wiping off the paint with a cloth of some kind.

I got a PVC cleaner from the hardware store, works like a charm. It wasn't super cheap (8-10 EUR for a litre) and you have to be careful around varnished furniture because even a single drop makes a hole in the varnish (my poor kitchen table :wacko:). But as far as I can tell it doesn't hurt the resin at all: I left a model in there the whole night and it's none the worse for wear. :)

PVC pipe cleaner is Meth-Ethyl-Ketone or MEK, I've sold that stuff straight at about three different hardware stores here in the states.  Agreed, keep it away from fine furniture, teens and open flames. :wacko: