Rerednaw

Hachiman Dreadnaught: Do You Use It And Why?

What do You think about the new Hachiman? I still think it is not worth taking most of the time. It got some more stuff that rarely effects the game, but it became considerably more expensive. It still lacks the firepower to deal with other DNs that are about the same price, and it is too precious and somewhat too slow to hunt down smaller models.There are some little synergies with other units now, but I think it is still somewhat too expensive to justify its high price. For that many points You could just take many other excellent EoBS units instead. I think 230 points before taking generators would be an appropriate price.

The new Hachiman is far away from being utterly underwhelming, as is the old one. It can sometimes be a pain in the ass to some opponent models such as submarines and some flyers, but it I just happens too rarely to take it for this reasons. That is why I do not see how to justify taking the Hachiman when not knowing what the opponent fields. What are Your reasons for taking the new Hachiman?

In fact I may consider a second one now !!

As much as I love the model and stats now, I would wait and see if they "adjust" the Dn's.

I could see them Limited Availability [1250] them to stop spamming. Think they already did this, can't remember.

So if you got 2500pts. of EotBS go ahead and buy another.

What do You think about the new Hachiman? I still think it is not worth taking most of the time. It got some more stuff that rarely effects the game, but it became considerably more expensive. It still lacks the firepower to deal with other DNs that are about the same price, and it is too precious and somewhat too slow to hunt down smaller models.There are some little synergies with other units now, but I think it is still somewhat too expensive to justify its high price. For that many points You could just take many other excellent EoBS units instead. I think 230 points before taking generators would be an appropriate price.

The new Hachiman is far away from being utterly underwhelming, as is the old one. It can sometimes be a pain in the ass to some opponent models such as submarines and some flyers, but it I just happens too rarely to take it for this reasons. That is why I do not see how to justify taking the Hachiman when not knowing what the opponent fields. What are Your reasons for taking the new Hachiman?

I actually agree with you on this. The improvements are there, definitely, but not worth the 25pt price increase on top of a model that was already lackluster.

I will try it out of course: you need to field something at least once to get a feel for how it performs. After that I can make a judgement more based on experience.

Cheers,

Falconer

I feel the + 1 cr is spot on the rest is candy and well worth the 25 points extra and a bit more speed via a gen makes that ram extra awesome :) it's not a give away but at least it's not a poor mans dread now :)

I feel the + 1 cr is spot on the rest is candy and well worth the 25 points extra and a bit more speed via a gen makes that ram extra awesome :) it's not a give away but at least it's not a poor mans dread now :)

Well, strictly speaking it is a rich man´s dread now. As Falconer stated, You pay 25 points more for features that look good on paper, but rarely make any difference in reality. The price performance ratio has not improved. Being a poor man (speaking always short on points), I even prefer the poor man´s dread. I still hope I just missed something.

What would be nice is to see the gas alert mar appear more in the fleet as its a strong theme in the background for the eotbs even if its a upgrade across most the fleet !! Especially the nak

It still is mediocre at long range compared to the other dreads that have long range weapons like the enterprise or the Prometheus with energy turrets.  It is still terrible at range band 2-3 compared to the other dreads too.  The ram is more useful, but still only useful against big targets if it is super damaged.  Half attack dice on turrets that are only good in range band 1 is not worth range band one gunnery on a large or massive.  Plus I kinda thought the point of RR 9 was for big models anyway, so it is helpful, but underwhelming against big threats when you can shoot them instead.  The chance of critting with 3 turrets in RB 1 is greater than dam on a dread with 9 RR.  I still say if you are going to name a model after the god of archery it should have a dreadnought sized rocket attack.  It would be nice to see it being actually good at something in particular.

I'll try this model out, but the Prometheus is my next major opponent and it does almost everything the Hachiman mk II does, but better for shooting.   I guess the buffed CC, slightly better AA, and slightly better AP will have to try to make up for it.  +1 CR is useful, but the faction ability ought to be a given.  Especially on the dreadnought of the fleet.  Give it a few more rocket dice so one of it's weapon system's is actually dreadnought sized and I will be pretty happy with it.

I actually agree with you on this. The improvements are there, definitely, but not worth the 25pt price increase on top of a model that was already lackluster.

I will try it out of course: you need to field something at least once to get a feel for how it performs. After that I can make a judgement more based on experience.

Cheers,

Falconer

After a few play tests I completely agree.  It just isn't comparable to the other dreadnoughts with it's new stats.  I really think it should a get a nice rocket AD buff, so it is actually good at rockets.  I wouldn't mind 12 AP again.  We pay extra point for things like the 8 CC that is really high for a dreadnought, but mostly useless except against Britannia and the Ika.  I'd really like to see a single 14-16 rocket dice attack instead of a rocket broadside.  It isn't a good enough sniping unit to stay in RB 4, and it isn't good at anything in RB 2-3.  The tesla Generator at least makes it capable of getting to RB 1, but rarely without damage.  I'm hoping they realize this and change it a little more, but we'll see.