Sign in to follow this  
MPSwift

First game with the Terrans

In the early game, Sector Shielding can be useful and particularly so on the Apollo. It's later in the game as the fleets manoeuvre about that Sector Shielding can become a liability in some situations. I feel it is a good option to have to dump Shield Dice into one arc if something really dangerous is pointing at that arc. 

Most games the Apollo will start in reserve with the Hauberks so early game defence is less an issue. Hopefully by the time they arrive, or shortly after, any major threats should hopefully have been defanged!

I've never put the Apollo into reserves aside from this year's PAW Convention 10,000pts mega game and Escalating Engagement scenarios. Usually because at least one Apollo is my flagship, and I'd rather have the flag on the table than not doing anything useful. 

Also, for TACs I'm thinking Intel, Power to Shields and Temporary Solutions. I considered Perfect Timing or Legacy but PT seems a bit unnecessary as I should get most of what I want in by/on Turn 3 which is when I'd realistically want it and Legacy runs the risk of playing it then not making your reserve rolls. I'd rather play the safer Intel then if my reserves come in I have options about what to activate first.

Thoughts?

I've used it before quite extensively (usually with my Dindrenzi) but the more I think about it the less I see it as a requirement. Terrans we do better in the mid-late game, particularly our shunt bombs, when the enemy has already committed and can less easily engage in a turning fight so getting your reserves in on turn 2 isn't so key, in fact you might want them to be a bit later (T3/4) depending on how much of a battering the rest of your fleet is taking. With that being the case I think I'd rather take a TAC with more universal worth and risk the 50/50 on Turn 3 and spend a battle log point if I need to and get them in that way. Assuming I've deployed well with terrain cover I should be able to hang on until T4 which, short of some abysmal rolling, should see my reserves arrive. The risk is that the reserves come in piecemeal and get pulled apart before they can really do a lot but part of that is model placement anyway.

I like Turn 3 PT because it's more punishing to turn around and face the reserves when ships are already fully engaged with the initial forces, meaning those Missionaries have somewhat free reign to shred rear-arcs. Plus with the 50/50 chance to enter turn 3 and the BL trick, you have a very high chance of emptying the bench all at once.

Fair point. Would be better to have the Hauberks and Apollo arriving together if possible, should pretty much delete a T1/T2 squadron between them. Perhaps PT, Intel and PtS? PtS as need turns 1 and 2 to weather the storm, PT turn 3, Intel turn 4 to try and get the jump on the enemy when most things should be in their best positions? Hopefully beyond T4 the game should be mostly sewn up with things like reduced strength cruiser squadrons/frigates looking to jump away.