FSAHoops

Stripping models

I've used fairy power spray and acetate free remover before on plastic and metal. Didn't know if they were any good for resin... It's not a drama anyway as I got eBay snipered and didn't win the bid!! Lol, worth knowing for the future I guess :)

I've heard Dettol is a good one... But the issue is how long to leave it in?

Start with an hour and review the results. If insufficient time try another hour or two. It'll probably depend on the number of layers the model has.

For dettol, a couple of hours in a diluted bath will do the trick. Then, rinse it off with methylated spirits, perhaps giving it a light scrub with a soft toothbrush. The two chemicals cause some sort of reaction that slides the paint right off, and doesn't touch the resin - full description of why is here.

I found that two overnight baths in fresh 50/50 Dettol and water plus scrubbing under running warm water loosens most of the paint but leaves a horrible residue on model and old toothbrush.

A one hour bath in 50/50 PineOClean  and water with a dash of Dettol and then scrubbing in this solution gets the models (and toothbrush)  back to near clean with just a few stubborn recesses that need a bit of manual picking at with a tooth pick or other fine object.

I simply put them in a bowl of thinner and start scrubbing with a toothbrush. Smelly work, bad for your hands without gloves, but it's done in 5 minutes.

Then wash em again with water to make sure no unwanted stuff is left behind, leave em to dry on a towel spread out under your window in the sun, tadaa!!

New models!

Just make sure you leave them to dry long enough. The fine details everythere catch waterbubbles like crazy.

I usually use my nose to determine if they've dried long enough.

Even after washing with water, some thinner smell will be there on your model. when that smell is gone, they're safe for new paint. 

As an added bonus, they're absolutely free of any mold release there could ever have been on there.

I know thinner sounds crazy, but Spartan's resin can take it without damage.

I love that stuff to work with.

Some amazing feed back here! Plenty of options when I finally win an auction!

I re-read #8, well spotted... I probably didn't catch the naughtiness because I'm English and we don't have 'singles' in a monetary sense

Im dutch we dont get singles either. I just had to reread the post because i didnt get it the first time either, as i was thinking about model boats before i got it and managed to groan...

But Then there are enough american movies and series which mention this so :)

Some amazing feed back here! Plenty of options when I finally win an auction!

I re-read #8, well spotted... I probably didn't catch the naughtiness because I'm English and we don't have 'singles' in a monetary sense

It's frowned upon to throw pound coins at woman.