Zebo

Skydrop Markers and deviation

I'd like to know if you can "turn" the skydrop without changing its position, in terms of choosing the deviation.

I mean, imagine that I want to use one artillery skydrop marker for calling an artillery strike, but my target isn't in any of its sides, but exactly in it corner.

May I turn lightly the skydrop marker to point the direction that I want, declare what side is considered the 1 and then throw the dice?

Or maybe when you put the marker from the begining, you must be carefull about the possible deviation?

No. You drive right over them, or even park on them if you wish.

Agreed, but there is still some argument locally that they are a 'model' and as such block movement... From a physical (as in, the gamepieces) perspective, I can understand that argument, but from a gameplay and 'realistic' perspective, it makes zero sense AND feels gamey as all hell to use markers to block/disallow movement.

Correct, but since it is a physical piece of resin, it has been argued that it counts as a 'model'. Also that because it's location and orientation are important, it can't be moved (or piled on top of).

As I said, from a gameplay and 'reality' perspective, it makes zero sense. How does marking something on a map prevent models moving into that area? And if that actually worked, I'm just going to scribble over my targetting map and prevent my opponent from deploying, as I have designated the entire world! Using my marking crayons... :P

From a physical perspective (same reason we have things like 'flying models can't end up on top of ground models' ) I can see the basis of the argument. Still think it's gamey beyond all reason though, and needs defining (preferably in favour of temporarily moving the marker or something... )

Agreed, but there is still some argument locally that they are a 'model' and as such block movement... From a physical (as in, the gamepieces) perspective, I can understand that argument, but from a gameplay and 'realistic' perspective, it makes zero sense AND feels gamey as all hell to use markers to block/disallow movement.

Ive retracted that argument since I cannot find the post that confirmed it. 

Until Delboy or another spartan can be asked the question I agree with spellduckwrong.

I'd still like it cleared up if you can or can't... Standing on top of these particular markers seems... wrong. For all the reasons you can't do it with other models... :P

Till then, I'm more than happy to just go over the top as logically that's the way to do it, even if it seems a bit weird. :)

If you keep models from stopping their movement on Sky Drop markers, then you make possible to exploit that to block movements.

And that's wrong, IMHO. Sky Drop markers give already a lot of advantages to the player owning them. Using them to actually block the placement of your opponent's own pieces is, to me, foul play.

Nothing in the rules says the Sky Drop markers are models. Thus, they shouldn't be treated as one.

Of course, damaging them would be sad so I believe it is best to agree with your opponent if it is unavoidable to stop your move on one of them. Removing it temporarily and replacing it by a paper one or something else to show its emplacement can be a good compromise.

Here are how Models are defined in the Planetfall Rulebook:

All Models are supplied with either a precision laser-cut acrylic base, or a resin scenic base.

THE MODEL PROFILE

All of the Models in Planetfall have a number of statistics which tell you how they operate on the Game Board.

And here is how Sky Drop Markers are defined:

Models with the Sky Drop Nexus MAR or Artillery Support MAR are used to give Commanders their total number of SD Markers.

So not only do Sky Drop Markers lack the two main characteristics of Models, you can only obtain them through Models. Also, they are called "Markers"... aka Game Markers.

Hi Jones, 

Its not possible to un-zero a Sky Drop marker using a Nexus Designator, I have heard the question being asked elsewhere, so it may come up in an FAQ in the future, but for now not possible.

I have seen several people using Sky Drop markers with a lot of success at a 4D6 scatter recently :-)