freakshow1966

Stand and deliver

1/8 inch disk rare Earth magnets also work for most ships. Superglue one to the stand and one to the base (maybe two for large ships), and be very careful to get the polarities right!

The same magnets can be used to make cruisers that convert between heavy and regular. 

Hawk widgets are the best solution I have tried. They are also the solution for any scratch built ships you may feel the need to make. I tried to just use a drilled out hole initially on my homebrew pathogen but the stress of gameplay caused a few to crack the sculpey I used for the ships. Now I know, and I will be using widgets galore.

I bought a load of Hawk Widgets but didn't like how you had to ja, the flight pegs in so I'm using Lego Technic axles and bases I built for my Dieselpunk air combat game.

Anyone want to trade some widgets? one careful owner ;)

I find that Hawk Widgets work great for v1.0 models resin models that don't fit snugly (or at all).   v1.0 metal models can also use magnets (1/8" glued on the ship and the top of the peg) but that is admittedly less easy than Hawk Widgets, which I wish I had known about before I magnetized 1/3 of my fleet.

v2.0 ships seem to fit well regardless, and don't need anything but their own friction.