Jonto81

New to firestorm armada - works raptor

Hi all,

New to firestorm armada and just starting my first fleet - the awesome looking works raptor.

So far base coated black and started one model with a highlight of dark blue/purple.

Quick question - painting metal parts, how do you do it without losing the rag? Breath to hard on them and the paint comes off - yes I have washed and scrubbed and even put through a sonic cleaner

92E56032-9AA1-4F28-948F-019454AE6CE2_zps

Quick question - painting metal parts, how do you do it without losing the rag? Breath to hard on them and the paint comes off - yes I have washed and scrubbed and even put through a sonic cleaner

If the metal is clean and the paint still doesn't stick you're using the wrong paint...

It does make a difference how good your primer is. GW's Chaos Black hasn't been called a primer in years, and it shows. P3's primer is pretty good, but I find it to be kind of thick. I just use a rattle-can of Krylon from the local craft store. I've very rarely had it chip off, and it does a nice thin coat. Just make sure it's actual primer, not just black spray paint. 

Thanks guys - was using Vallejo model air primer through airbrush. I believe I have some primer floating around for car painting - might give that a go

Vallejo primer is notorious for not adhering well to metal.

It does make a difference how good your primer is. GW's Chaos Black hasn't been called a primer in years, and it shows. P3's primer is pretty good, but I find it to be kind of thick. I just use a rattle-can of Krylon from the local craft store. I've very rarely had it chip off, and it does a nice thin coat. Just make sure it's actual primer, not just black spray paint. 

Krylon makes a brand of paint that is meant for plastics. the paint actually bonds with the surface of plastic. i wonder if that works with resin hmmm

I like your color scheme, nice and dark. If you would just add a bit lighter purple to shade a bit more ti would be perfect. Or maybe try a different angle to take the picture from as this front view might kill the shading.

Looking very sharp there! I may steal the idea of adding glow effects to the destroyer "intakes".

My only criticism is that your wing tokens might disappear on a black play surface. They are kinda dark, and aren't set off by a flight stand.

fantastic glow effect there. It's subtle which suits WR perfectly. I agree with klarg though, the srs tokens are very... black. You might try picking out the edges with a bright color, maybe a metallic. I've seen a few people do theirs like the edges are part of a console and that looks pretty good.