We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Czyrek

Airbrushing vs. Traditional Brush ?

Hey, I'm going to pick up some sorylians and I was wondering if it would be worth it to airbrush it (never done this before) or stick to traditional painting (layered paints and/or drybrushing). I have an airbrush compressor and hose, but I'd need to pick up an airbrush. I also have some GW paints, would these work in an airbrush, or is there specific paints I'd need to use? I'm really hesitant to do airbrushing as i live in an apartment (worried about nose and fumes), I have a balcony, but worried noise might bother neighbors. But I am also very interested in how the airbrush can make for smoother paint as well as sharper lines (through masking), as well as interesting glow effects or subtle shadowing (by priming black, and then spraying the light source over with white primer). I also wonder a bit how much time airbrushing might save or cost me vs traditional painting. Any recommendations, or tips would be helpful! The only thing i've painted simliar to FSA is BFG (mostly with layered drybrushing)

Even if the only thing you use the airbrush for is basecoating, the time savings are amazing.

Yes, you can absolutley use GW paints, you just have to thin them. Mixing them about 50% with s 50/50 mix of water and blue Windex is a great place to start.

If you're shooting acrylics (like the GW paints) you won't have any fumes. That being said, you'll still want to wear a respirator to keep particles and junk out of your lungs.

The noise depends on your compressor. i have a loud one that gets put in a closet under an upside down Rubbermaid container. This keeps the noise down SIGNIFICANTLY.

As far as what airbrush to get, it really just depends on your budget.

While airbrushes are amazing, you'll get your best results by using both the airbrush and regular brush. Each method is good at different things.

I have and have had an almost entirely unpainted WHFB army (two, actually).

I painted my first 800+ points of the Directorate in two weeks after getting them fully. Next to being faster, it is also much more fun to paint with airbrush techniques. (At least for me.)

Mixing them about 50% with s 50/50 mix of water and blue Windex is a great place to start.

so 50% paint, 25% water, 25% windex? would it be okay to just use water? I am somewhat hesitant to use windex, though after a search it seems to be a popular thinner. Thanks also for the tips!

I've not had a lot of luck using the cleaner as thinner.   It'll work in a pinch but in my opinion you're probably better off with just water while learning.   Adding other things will make the paint dry faster both on the model and in your airbrush which can lead to tip drying (which is the hardest thing to deal with in my experience.) 

If you have the option I recommend finding some of the vallejo game air and model air paints.  They're great with a brush and in an airbrush. 

Which brush and compressor did you end up getting btw? :) 

Thanks for the video! and I think they are Master brand? I am not sure. speaking of paints.. Now I have to decide my paint scheme (for Sorylians) I was thinking black with highlights for the metal bits and an olive green for the armor plates with perhaps some white and/or red striping/markings. I was also thinking a more neutral beige for the armor plates with white stripes.

I started doing airbrush with GW paint and thinner, but as time passes i highly recomend to start using model air paints of vallejo.

Use the thinner for thinning the paints, and use the cleaner for cleaning the airbrush from colour to colour if there is a dratic change like from black to whito or yellow to blue.

Airbrushing is a bit tricky at start, but with patience it becomes gratefull. Smoth highlights, works well with masks.

I painted my 1st aorylian frigates with brush techniques it took me 3 weeks, with airbrush i painted a dreadnought, 3destroyers 3 gunships and a corvette squad in the same time and with stunishing results.

If you search for my sorylian redheads you can see the evolution from frigates to the rest of the fleet, plus i added a step through tutorial.

Sorry for the long post, no potatoes left.

If you search for my sorylian redheads you can see the evolution from frigates to the rest of the fleet, plus i added a step through tutorial.

Sorry for the long post, no potatoes left.

I have seen them!, your results are actually what pushed me to consider airbrushing, as I really love how you did yours. (also self note to use "stunishing" in the future). I shall look into these Vallejo paints, i hear alot of good things about them. Do you need to thin them vallejo air paints? or are they good to use as is?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.