We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

RagnaTheBloodedge

Such tempting models?!

Hey forum! First post ever! Just recently took an interest in Dystopian Wars (I play Firestorm casually and Privateer Press' Warmachine more competitively) and I'm planning on buying my first set of models this coming paycheck...

But I'm a little stumped as to which faction to play. I like a number of the models from multiple factions, but, with a really tight budget, I'm forcing myself to ignore the INSATIABLE thirst for excessive model purchasing and limiting myself to a single faction.

Could anyone give a little more of a summary on each Factions' play style? I tend to like swarming tactics and armor cracking...decent ranged shootiness (yes, that's a word) is also a plus.

(I saw a number of dated threads on this from eons ago, but I figured I'd try my hand for a more updated/current state-of-the-game response... )

The Black Wolf is somewhat unforgiving to play right away due to the nature of fixed channel weaponry, but they are devestating if used right.

However, I will attempt a run down of the major factions I've had experience with.

FSA: somewhat higher DR than others but nothing crazy, with quality firepower they prefer a ranged game to an in your face game. They have lots of rerolls on many of their gunnery attacks which is INCREDIBLY frustrating!

KoB: This faction is not spectacular at range, nor is it spectacular in your face. But what it does in spades is not die quickly. They tend to slug it out through all range bands decently well which other factions lack. My most nail biting and fun games have been against the Brits.

RC: take big ships, float into RB2, win. This faction is all about duking it out close (they have some exceptions, but RB2 is largely the sweet spot). If you haven't murdered everything at this point, your dice were really bad or you were outplayed. No matter though! Healthy APs allow for scary boarding possibilities. They are fairly slow, and those in my group that play them quickly bought a second faction to change things up because they have a rep as being boring to play (I think that is their own error though, they have not fully explored the list yet so even my understanding of RC is weak at best.)

PE: quick, lightning-y, and boardy. They zip up and take your ships like a bully taking a kids lunch money. Their access to teslas and speerchleuders will cripple AP before they come in for the kill.

RoF: kings of crit-dom! They set things on fire and cause horrific chaos on enemy fleets through the use of heat lances. These nasty things allow the RoF to place critical effects (AKA crippling damage) on ships easier than other factions. KoB can to, but not with as much ease as the frenchies.

EotBS: their CR ratings on their smalls make me pull my hair out (6, my word...). Many specialized ships in the small and medium category with awesome mobility throughout and larges that pack a punch, the EotBS seems to be able to play many different styles. But, they are not the BEST at any of those styles, and with of their better things are fixed channel which again is tricky.

CoA: the penguins are an odd duck, very techy and simply murder smalls and mediums. Varied options allow them the flexibility in list building the EotBS seem to enjoy but to an even higher degree. However, they are not as tough (I'm pretty sure a boarding party of cooks could take out their battle ship in a raid), probably overall the weakest hitting, and least survivable faction in the game. Drones can make up for it, but one needs to go heavy to split the difference in appreciable impact on the game. But gotta pay for the flexibility somehow.

Of the minor nations and mercenaries, I have rather little experience except for:

LoIS: If you like swarming things and shooting people to teeny tiny pieces this might just be the faction for you. The Uccis are great for bulking up activations and are a head throb to deal with. They are EXTREMELY frail, with their main defense being the difficulty in landing hits in the first place, but each shot that gets through hurts.

Chinese Federation: load up the conscripts! Why's that farmer using a pitch fork to swab the deck?! Not the most elite crew types available, but with men a plenty, the chinese seem to be a boarding faction but with the benefit of great broadsides and some flamethrowers! They do what the PE does if you combined them with the frenchies to an extent. Heck, they even have 1 option that has no weapon except for a poop load of dudes. So yea, probably not what you're looking for.

Black Wolf: I think a group of former RC, they have gone rogue and now steal things and are generally irritating to face. They have devestating guns, an amazing large submarine, and can cherry pick many BBs or carriers out there. Their own options rely on quality movement to angle correctly (fixed channel, UGH!) but when played well are terrifying. They lack swarm ability (they have NO medium squadrons) and are not noob friendly as a starter, but worth a look at down the road.

Black Wolf: I think a group of former RC, they have gone rogue and now steal things and are generally irritating to face. They have devestating guns, an amazing large submarine, and can cherry pick many BBs or carriers out there. Their own options rely on quality movement to angle correctly (fixed channel, UGH!) but when played well are terrifying. They lack swarm ability (they have NO medium squadrons) and are not noob friendly as a starter, but worth a look at down the road.

The LoIS Affondatore (losing the boats though). No other Large carrier is available to them as far as I know. Only some models with the Squadron Support MAR.

Haha, that's pretty accurate.  I'm pretty sure I've played each faction at least once by now.  Currently, I play Gators, Circle, and Convergence.  (I also run/co-host the 30mm Podcast which- if you like war machine and your sanity- you probably shouldn't listen to. We're hopefully gonna start doing some Firestorm coverage.  And maybe Dystopian Wars, if my models ever show up...)

That being said, I should probably go to the introduce yourself section...

BTW, on the chinese, I played another game against them with my Black Wolf this weekend and HOLY CRAPOLA THEIR FLAMETHROWERS ARE A THING TO BEHOLD! Their skimming bastions from the armoured section are ludicrous awesome. Corrosive, incendiary, lethal flamthrowers...good holy heaven. Those things are terrifying! I'm starting to think they might just outclass the PE in boarding potential because they are tougher and kill crew at a higher clip than I could have expected.

Well, my lady actually chose my faction for me, inadvertently. She raided my browser history and bought the first thing she saw, which is the RoF.

Not complaining. It's nice having a girlfriend who supports mini gaming.

I'm truthfully going to cheat my initial "rule" and play a bunch of Imperial Bond factions...starting with French and LoIS