Sign in to follow this  
ChibiPotatoes

Razorthorn Class Battleship? and Next Step for Terrans?

On 8/16/2015 at 5:37 PM, Reshmar said:

SO I won the auction posted at the beginning of the thread. I would sell the Razorthorn shipped to you for 25.  Thats about what they have been selling for on ebay. I still have to get it and make sure its in good shape but if you want it Just let me know.

I appreciate the thought, but I've managed to work out a dealio with someone -- the Hunt for the Razorthorn has been completed!

the auction actually had 4 of the templar heavy cruisers, the old ones that were one piece. That's why I was going after it.

I did the same thing a while ago...put down ~ £90 for a whole Terran bundle, just to get my hands on a few Templars. ;)

Alright, back to the topic of fleet-building. I know people mentioned that Terran Tier 2s are not particularly strong. Is it worth it, however, to pick up a squadron of Terran heavy cruisers? The starter set I bought from a friend had two regular and one heavy and I'm not usually too big a fan of mixing cruisers and heavy cruisers, so I thought about maybe purchasing another cruiser squadron -- build one as a regular and the other two as heavies. Or perhaps it would be more prudent just to buy one regular cruiser model?

First- mixing terran CA and CH is a pointless, terrible idea. Never mix. Second- the CH is a great unit, but it has one, exactly one way to be used- shunt them behind enemy fleet, unleash 21/12AD on two different targets. They are amazing "bombs", but they're not brawlers, they have a glass jaw.

The starter set I bought from a friend had two regular and one heavy and I'm not usually too big a fan of mixing cruisers and heavy cruisers, so I thought about maybe purchasing another cruiser squadron -- build one as a regular and the other two as heavies. Or perhaps it would be more prudent just to buy one regular cruiser model?

As far as building and converting Terran cruisers and heavy cruisers is concerned, there was some conversation about that a few days ago:

http://community.spartangames.co.uk/index.php?/topic/15231-hauberk-upgrade-in-terran-patrol-box/

The Hauberks are essentially Teutons with the torpedo launchers ripped out, some turrets strapped on the top, and an extra HP. Same DR, same CR. They don't synergise well with the Teutons at all, due to the lack of torpedoes and the nuclear cannon on the front of the Hauberk (Teutons get a Primary Fore Fixed, which can be upgraded to beams along with the broadsides). If you want to get Hauberks, run a squadron of three ships, don't mix and match, it isn't worth losing the firepower from the torpedoes. 

Hauberks are best used as oversized Missionary class frigates. Shunt in, derp something with a lot of dice, and hope you can do that again next turn. RB2 nets you 21AD, RB1 nets you 19AD, but if you get beams, you re-roll to hit rolls of 1, so the difference in AD is not that severe for dropping to a closer range band. Getting the second Shield Dice is useful for aiding the durability of the Hauberks. +1MV makes them as fast as the Teutons. They also have a Nuclear Fore Fixed gun, similar to the destroyers and the Apollo, which can do some mean damage to frigates, corvettes and other small targets. 

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.Their statlines are different enough to me that I found it hard to try and get them to work together as a unit. I'll probably pick up another cruiser box soon that way I can even out both squads to the maximum of three (damn, I should of thought about it during the 40% off sale). Having a full squadron of Teutons and another full squadron of Hauberks will give me some variety and options for my Tier 2s.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense.Their statlines are different enough to me that I found it hard to try and get them to work together as a unit. I'll probably pick up another cruiser box soon that way I can even out both squads to the maximum of three (damn, I should of thought about it during the 40% off sale). Having a full squadron of Teutons and another full squadron of Hauberks will give me some variety and options for my Tier 2s.

The Terran Cruiser/Heavy Cruisers are specially designed to allow you to magnetize for swapping between the different types.  Look under the top section and you will see two small indents.  There are matching ones on the bottom half.  Get the right size magnets and you can slot them in and allow you to swap between the two ship types.

On 8/18/2015 at 11:51 PM, alextroy said:

The Terran Cruiser/Heavy Cruisers are specially designed to allow you to magnetize for swapping between the different types.  Look under the top section and you will see two small indents.  There are matching ones on the bottom half.  Get the right size magnets and you can slot them in and allow you to swap between the two ship types.

I was actually wondering what those little holes were for. I thought they were peg slots or something! I may have to go back and see if my friend's glue was brittle enough to break off the cruiser tops -- unfortunately though he doesn't have the third regular cruiser top since his patrol fleet was missing all of them (and then he got only two instead of three). I'll likely have to just pick up another box of cruisers anyway just because of that.

Cheers for pointing that out tank, but if you go to terrans, then parts store the heavy cruiser part isn't there, or at least not for me, just double checked, unless im blind.

It shows up for me just fine. Perhaps the direct link to the part will help: http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FAR0105