Darthp00p00

Defensive MARs for Infantry in Buildings?

Do things like Hard Target (-2) still apply to Infantry (like the Nyx) when they occupy buildings? Id say yes because theyd die so easily. But an opponent asked why is the building just as hard to shoot at as the troops inside lol

Do things like Hard Target (-2) still apply to Infantry (like the Nyx) when they occupy buildings? Id say yes because theyd die so easily. But an opponent asked why is the building just as hard to shoot at as the troops inside lol

Because you aren't shooting at the building, you're shooting at the troops inside it, who now have more cover than they did when they were in the open.

Unless your objective is to destroy the building, why would you waste time and ammo on doing so, instead of dealing with the enemy troops?

Barrage weapons negate any Cover Shield Saves for units claiming such (i.e. Infantry cowering in a building...)

P.

Nyx do not cower in buildings! 

They storm the place, then promptly celebrate in such an alcoholic manner they get evicted by high explosives in the next activation or two while they are busy hurling insults and abuse from the windows at their opponents! Which is my argument for why they never survive long in a defensive capacity.  :lol: 

Yes, I kinda view my Nyx as Deadpool... :P

I personally dont think that barrage should ignore all cover saves, most of the buildings have a roof and would still provide a measure of protection. I can see why they did it for simplicity, but i think you should be able to shelter better.

I personally dont think that barrage should ignore all cover saves, most of the buildings have a roof and would still provide a measure of protection. I can see why they did it for simplicity, but i think you should be able to shelter better.

I believe Barrage represents an entire or volley of explosive shells.  So while the roof would normally protect you when a Barrage occurs the rubble from the roof just becomes more damaging shrapnel.

I don't think Barrage means artillery, i believe it is supposed to represent the fact you are using HE or similar shells rather than AP. Or if you are Terran, micronukes... :P

Barrage Weapons are weapon systems that bypass cover effects. Maybe the ordinance simply punches through typical barriers like concrete, bypasses them with a shockwave or area effect, or is using some kind of guided munition which can move through a building's interior.

Firestorm is set far in the future; you can imagine any methodology you want to explain the story behind the mechanics. I imagine the Dindrenzi Flambard Assault Launcher is simply using a rapid firing, armor piercing gun to turn the building into Swiss cheese... Something like several A-10 GAU-8's. Meanwhile, the Terrans are using micro-nukes with their tanks... No wonder they're terrifying.

I think the Barrage MAR works just fine: it's not as if every weapon system has it. I can't imagine a building standing up too well to an orbitally-launched artillery barrage ... and the roof is probably the last thing you'll feel as it reduces you back to your constituent parts ;)

P.

I imagine it to also represent weapons not dissimilar to the XM-25; a laser guided man-portable grenade launcher where you can set the charge to detonate within a certain distance of the laser designated point. Effectively meaning you can paint a window frame, add 3 meters to the distance, fire through the window and the round will detonate in mid air as it passes through the glass for maximum lethality and effectively negating any and all cover the building would provide. Not entirely beyond the realms of the possible to add such technology to other weapon types in the far future.

I think the Barrage MAR works just fine: it's not as if every weapon system has it. I can't imagine a building standing up too well to an orbitally-launched artillery barrage ... and the roof is probably the last thing you'll feel as it reduces you back to your constituent parts ;)

P.

Also this when on larger weapons! ^ 

Keep in mind, most weapons with Barrage don't also have AntiPersonnel, although there are exceptions. So you might be denying the infantry their cover saves, but you still only hit them on 6's. Still makes it fairly difficult to dig an entrenched infantry unit out of a building, which is as it should be. 

Maybe I've been betrayed by my english.

I mean that barrage is worst Weapon MAR in the game. Don't think that making it even worse is a good idea.

That's a rather sweeping statement.

Worst in that it's too powerful, or worst in that it's not powerful enough? 

P.

I imagine the Dindrenzi Flambard Assault Launcher is simply using a rapid firing, armor piercing gun to turn the building into Swiss cheese... Something like several A-10 GAU-8's. Meanwhile, the Terrans are using micro-nukes with their tanks... No wonder they're terrifying.

I personally see the Flambard Assault Launchers as firing a volley of submunitions into a building that fill the interior with high velocity shrapnel, as the punch through walls or hammer through holes/windows that already exist to burst in the room on the other side. :P

Again betrayed xD

IMHO Barrage is a very bad MAR

Actually, I see Barrage as much better than Kinetic. Kinetic has to be the worst Weapon MAR in the game, simply because it only applies to a few races (the ones with shields) and even then, only inside EF... And even then it barely has an effect other than to stop runaway success rolls. :P

But I'd like Barrage to stay as it is. It does the job. :D

I dont agree zebo. Barrage may not be the best MAR but it has its place and its uses where it is startlingly effective. Which is how MAR's should be really. Its definitely something id take if I had the option so its certainly not the worst MAR by a long shot.

I personally see flambard assault launchers as big fat targets waiting to be shot.