Sign in to follow this  
Watchdog

AAR: BW against RA 1500 points naval core

I played my BW fleet against the Royal Aussies in a game of 1500 points, naval core. I lost, but not truly decisively.

I fielded the BW naval battle group with an extra Death Bringer and the BW aerial battle group, bar the redundant fifth Wraith. I had Guardians on the Nemesis battle cruisers, rockets on the Manticores and double rockets on the Retribution. I advanced the Manticore and Nemesis battle cruisers and flanked the Wraiths, rolling for them to come in turn 2.

The RA player (Krwekrw) fielded the Aussie naval battle group, except for 2 Protectors, a shielded RA Illustrious, an Osprey and 5 Merlins. He had the Protectors attached to the battleships in groups of 3.

We both fielded 2x fighters and 1x dive bombers, plus a recon. TAC cards were used. Krwekrw had the Mediums field order, I had the Larges/Massives. I should have taken the 70%.

My Manticores died in turn one to concentrated firepower, but it was a change to be able to fire into RB 3. One Nemesis was sunk and one was Prized and he used the Forced Compliance on it. I immediately Prized it and he Derelicted it then. I managed to Prize both battle ships, one of which was then Salvaged, the other cost him his Commodore and some AP as a result of some failed Disorder tests. My Chimeras did almost nothing and died to Merlins and other gunfire. My Wraithes were the stars of the battle. They caused havoc and when his Illustrious with almost a full crew tried to board the last unactivated Wraith, it AAed and fought so well, that the enemy had 0 AP left. What a series of lucky rolls on my side! I hit the Illustrious some more to reduce its AA and then boarded it with the last remaining 1 AP from the last Wraith. The lone marine squad got through and Prized the Illustrious!

I made a big mistake and turnt one of my Death Bringers too soon and got within RB 1 of the Osprey and I couldn't use the guns, damn it. Both subs took heavy pounding, but kept afloat, even ramming the enemy ships. I rammed the Obscured Osprey with the Retribution, he decided not to evade to avoid getting into boarding range of my subs and I caused a crit! IR 7 is great. Other than that, the Retribution is kinda meh. No shield makes it awfully vulnerable and the weapons are not that impressive, especially the fore guns after a few HP lost. The Retribution went down quickly as soon as the enemy focused some fire on it. My Furies also took heavy pounding, but it was them who Prized the captured Nemesis and then the enemy Commodore's battleship.

What hurt me a lot was the opponent rolling weapon damage crit on one Nemesis and then on one of my subs and I really felt the loss of the AD.

The Victoria gunships are pure evil in pairs. I somehow forgot that they have AD in RB1 and this proved costly me. The Osprey is a tough nut to crack and the RA one with Devastating Ordnance is a foe to be feared.

I failed to down the damaged Osprey and I was therefore unable to accomplish my objective, while my last Chimera Medium went down. I suffered from the loss of both my Guardians early in the game. It is just one shield dice, but it could have meant the difference between no damage at all and slowly succumbing to death by a thousand cuts.

I actually helped my opponent by reminding him about the amazing CC value of 2 per Crocodile before the start of the battle. My Reapers felt it heavily. Crocodiles make excellent sub hunters and mine sweepers (not used in this game) with their 9 AD full squadron CC attack.

TAC cards were quite insignificant and mostly got cancelled (namely Devastating Barrage and Battlefield Repair)- The BW Commodore's doctrine of cancelling a TAC with any other TAC came in handy. I saved 40 points cancelling his Battlefield Repair.

All in all, it was a brutal battle, which took us over 5 hours, but we both enjoyed it.