Mephiston

Dystopian War's Timeline

I've recently been inspired to write some fan fiction based in the DW universe. I've read all the fluff entries in the two rule books and while I think I have the date's of various world events in my head I would find it useful if there was a chronological list of dates and events on the site somewhere.

Does such a thing exist? I'd love to see one listing dates where nations declared war on each other, when the Covenant started putting a fleet to sea and various technological breakthroughs appear in fleets.

Does such a thing exist or could we try to compile one here?

AFAIK all we have is what's written in the rulebook. You're right, a 'good and proper timeline' would be really good.

As an aside to that, one thing I'd love to see would be some detailed information behind the ships and other units - thinking similar to unit descriptions to those found in certain other systems-that-shall-not-be-named that you may be familiar with Mephiston ;) . History behind the design, notable actions involving the model's class, and maybe famous vessels...would certainly add to the fluff flavour methinks.

I think they could certainly take a leaf from BFG's book in that regard.

This, definitely, was whatI was thinking, without wishing to name names.

Mephiston, you magnificent bastard! :P

I always get sucked into the fluff and end up writing a slew of fan fiction for my current obsession and my table-top game always suffers for it. Malifaux being the most recent. Warhammer 40K was before that. It hasn't happened for Dystopian Wars specifically because there isn't any extensive fluff.

I'm conflicted, I do and don't want more fluff. I do and don't want to get distracted! :D

Maybe we should throw the gauntlet down to all write a little narrative set in the DW universe?

I certainly don't mind having a pop - but am quite KoB biased (that doesn't preclude me from writing in a decent PE villain, complete with monocle, cigarette holder and a huge double eagle helmet!

Perhaps it would be more useful to compile a timeline?

Illuminus, Cambrius, Kaldor. Redmick, Aimless.., and OP: Jaeger. I count six interested parties.

And there are six different potential sources, those being:

These will need abbreviations (so the material could be checked) respective to the list above:

• RB10
  • RB11
  • CoA10
  • RoF11
  • SGB
  • SGW

Why not divide up the source material one each [?] and start compiling entries, separated by commas, formatted as follows (with examples):

Date, Brief Summary of Event Naming Names, Source Citation

1870, All Great Powers effectively at War with each of the others, RB10

1815, Prussia loses the Battle of Waterloo while the French look on, RB11

Text strings formatted as shown above could then be extracted into a spread sheet which could then sort the entries according to date, producing a timeline.

Not the man who banned Christmas!!!!! :o :o :o:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Don't get me started.... my desire for historical accuracy on the Commonwealth and Protectorate increases in proportion to the amount of forced patriotism currently stalking the streets of Blighty! :P

FYI:

• Parliament banned Christmas, as well as closed down theatres, racing courses, bear baiting etc. etc. NOT CROMWELL
  • Under Cromwell, fewer people were imprisoned and put to death for treason or political crimes than under Charles I or Charles II, or in fact, most other royal regimes.
  • Under Cromwell, the people of England and Scotland enjoyed greater religious liberty (admittedly, Protestant Christian liberty) than under any previous regime, a liberty they were not to experience again until well after the Glorious Revolution.
  • Under Cromwell, there was a flourishing of certain arts, particularly English opera and chamber music, despite what some people say
  • Under Cromwell, the government of England and Scotland was a constitutional republic with a written constitution NOT A MILITARY DICTATORSHIP, although there was certainly a military element (especially during the Major Generals), Cromwell always insisted on wearing civilian garb and emphasizing the civic nature of his rule.

SO THERE! :P

If a Dystopian Wars fluff ook came out, I would buy it! Just a small book with something about ships, history, technology, leaders and such. I think it would be great. But that's just me dreaming. ;) I think the idea about a timeline is a very good idea, I won't write anything myself, but I certanly read it.

Perhaps it would be more useful to compile a timeline?

Well since I am the guy with the RoF I think I might throw my hat in the ring for RoF11, I will try and pull it together today at work.

Don't get me started.... my desire for historical accuracy on the Commonwealth and Protectorate increases in proportion to the amount of forced patriotism currently stalking the streets of Blighty! :P

FYI:

• Parliament banned Christmas, as well as closed down theatres, racing courses, bear baiting etc. etc. NOT CROMWELL
  • Under Cromwell, fewer people were imprisoned and put to death for treason or political crimes than under Charles I or Charles II, or in fact, most other royal regimes.
  • Under Cromwell, the people of England and Scotland enjoyed greater religious liberty (admittedly, Protestant Christian liberty) than under any previous regime, a liberty they were not to experience again until well after the Glorious Revolution.
  • Under Cromwell, there was a flourishing of certain arts, particularly English opera and chamber music, despite what some people say
  • Under Cromwell, the government of England and Scotland was a constitutional republic with a written constitution NOT A MILITARY DICTATORSHIP, although there was certainly a military element (especially during the Major Generals), Cromwell always insisted on wearing civilian garb and emphasizing the civic nature of his rule.

SO THERE! :P

You forget that he was very puritan and the self imposed head of parliament. Strikes me as a bit of a kill joy. But I admit that our modern system has a lot to do with reforms under the Commonwealth. The Putney Debates for one.

He was also involved in some pretty brutal repression in Ireland of course.

However, I take in point some of the things you say there MythicKhan. After all, I am an East Anglian, and therefore technically in the thick of Roundhead territory...

I will of course bow to both points above, yes indeed he was a puritan (a more moderate one, but a puritan nonetheless) and was a definite usurper. As to Ireland, indeed, Drogheda was pretty awful. Anyway, sorry, that's my historical accuracy rant out the way :P