cas

Artillery markers and blocking movement

Had a game recently where I used an artillery marker to crowd access to my opponents primary objective. This was a major deal since my opponent was dindrenzi and trying to score that objective was a major part of his plan for victory. He wasnt happy about it and I can see where he is coming from since its a thing you can move through but not step on. However rules wise it seems like a done deal. Has there been any updates for this? Should there be?

Image attached though unfortunately things jiggled a bit before the photo was taken. Red marker is the Dindrenzi skydrop and the purple one is the sorylian artillery. The nyx in front of the hukvokka could not quite get in to contact with the building during the storming action.

The mulkats then killed the single nyx in contact with the building while being annihilated themselves in CQB.

End result the objective was not occupied at the end of the fracas.

Artillery%20marker%20block.jpg

Only one nyx died but it was the only base in contact with the building because I had blocked so much of the building off.  

Page 93, point 5.

If the Attacker causes more casualties than the enemy AND still has a Model in Base Contact with the Building, they may move to Occupy the Building/Defences and the Defender is Expelled.

Sorry - as I said the models got moved before we thought to take a picture. We checked that distance, couldnt get in. I think the hukvokka got nudged back a bit in the process of checking distances. 

TBH im not really too worried about about the exact position in that photo, its just an example. More interested in whether its a valid tactic or not.

Ok. Well, looking at the distance from the pod he still could have gotten in with 2 bases. Turn the base that is in BtB 90 degrees, should be plenty of excess movement to pull it off..

Something for people to keep in mind about the Nyx, on top of all their obvious CQB goodness they have a 10" threat radius from that pod for CQB and Storming.

As far as I remember, Artillery and Sky Drop markers are just that - markers. The rules state you cannot stop models ontop of one another, and there are even rules that you can put a drop marker ontop of models. It went something like this: "A Sky Drop or Artillery marker may be placed ANYWHERE on the game board, as long as it is not within 4 inches of another marker."

One of the spartans (im assuming derek) said that:

-markers do not block LoS

-markers do not block movement

-markers cannot be placed on top of models

-A model cannot finish its movement on top of a marker

Unfortunately I wasnt really involved in that discussion so cant remember the title to find it. :(

Its one of those small rules that can make a big difference in the game

As far as I can tell, the rules on page 68 are the only restrictions on Model movement (beyond movement stat):

Additionally, a Squadron’s movement is subject to the following restrictions:

❯ Non-Flying Models CANNOT move through other Models as part of their Movement Action.

❯ Non-Flying Models CANNOT move through or complete their move in Terrain that they consider Impassable (see Page 77).

❯ A Model CANNOT end its movement with its base on top of another Model – this is true even for Flying Models.

Whilst not strictly realistic, this gaming convention stops Models getting damaged.

There is no mention in the rules on Markers blocking movement. A Sky Drop Marker is not a Model.

Yeah the basic rules didnt cover this one. Corruptd thought it worked this way too so didnt question at the time. However I cannot find the thread, my search fu is not up to the task. :(.

Im going to park this question until I get hold of that thread. 

(Edited for accuracy)

Yeah the basic rules didnt cover this one. Corruptd thought it worked this way too so didnt question at the time. However I cannot find the thread, my search fu is not up to the task. :(.

Mmm, my understanding was always an assumption that because it's an actual 3D item, it acted like a model... While this has been nothing more than an annoyance in the past, when a rules abuse like this comes up is when the question has to be asked. :P