Sume

Marauder and Mercenaries bundles

Hello.  I am new to this game.  I recently been very unsettled with Games-Workshop and their pricing schemes, and the new Age of Sigmar.  That I decided to give this a go.  After talking with some friends that play and watching them play.  Going to be purchasing myself a core rulebook, and the marauder expansion book.  As I wanted to pick a force based on what I liked the looks of and also trying to get a unique faction that my friends are not playing. 

I wanted to start with the Oroshan patrol fleet and Dreadnaught group.  As these ships really caught my eye.  Then some of the others from the other factions within this group caught my eyes.  Like the sleek looking Syndicate ships, Corsairs ships, and I even like the OmniDyne Foundry Class Dreadnought.

What I was wondering will these other groups get bundles like the Oroshan have?  I saw the six primary factions have them.

Also as a new player I hope I can mix in the other mercenary ships to make a force.  It appeals to me that they would bring what they could to a battle, and I think it would look cool.

Well I hope to get some much welcomed feedback and thank you.

First of all: Welcome to FSA!

Second: At the moment, there aren't any patrol fleet boxes available for Syndicate and Corsair...yet. There have been hints that they will be coming, but no time frame has been given. You can mix mercenary ships to an extent; up to 25% of your fleet can be allies. In your case, mercenaries allying with other mercenaries.

So for the Marauders, not all of the models exist yet. All of the Oroshans are out, but none of the others are complete. The Syndicate is missing 2 models, Omnidyne is missing its battleship, the Corsairs are missing their battlecarrier and the Pathogen and Trader's League don't have anything released (Pathogen have two older style Relthoza ships, but I'm pretty sure these will go away as soon as the new Pathogen comes out). As far as I know, as Spartan releases these models, they will do so in box sets to help old and new players both acquire the new stuff. more of these models will be released in the coming months, from what we've been told by Spartan.

So, my advice is get those Oroshans, play them and enjoy them, and when they release the other ones you like, get them too.

Thanks guys.  I am getting the hardback more to get the background, and more pictures so I can familiarize myself. 

Ok, that makes more sense now after seeing the pdf.  I thought there was ships missing.

Now what about the captured pathogen vessels.  I am not sure I fully understand the rules, or how I would use them.  I figured they were pathogen vessels, but after reading the replies, made me wonder if those are available to be used in a force I described above.

I have to also admit when my friends where talking yesterday about how all the rules were free and the cost of entry.  I was mind blown.  After been fisted by the pricing scheme of GW.  I felt a little raw about the new game system.  When I found out all the rules were free, and I could pretty much buy a patrol box and I was set.  I was wow, finally a company that wants to keep a player base and give them great fun and great models, at affordable prices that don't break the bank (With GW it's to the point you need to sell your first born, then the second to afford).

Thank you.

Also, if you choose Oroshan as your Fleet Core (all minimum requirements must come from one Race/Faction) then your Fleet Tactics Bonus is +3, and you can freely add squadrons from STL, Traders, OmniDyne, and Corsairs. There is no max ally % for Mercenary Fleets.

A lot of people use green stuff to pathogenize ships; i'm planning on convertong an RSN fleet myself. Pathogen only plays with pathogen.

That's a reason I tell my friends about firestorm armada, and not 40k ;) great company, and if something is missing from the box, a quick email to despatch and they take care of it. Oh: FAQ's are actually answered. Thanks Spartan Alex!

@Ryjak: really? I thought mercs had the same restrictions as everyone else.

Here is what is in the Terran alliance manual:

Alliance Fleets

In addition to selecting Squadrons of Terran Alliance models, up to one quarter of your Fleet’s Maximum Fleet Value (rounded down) may be chosen from other races and factions within the Kurak Alliance, including vessels from the Aquan Prime and Sorylian Collective, and any of those found within the Kurak Alliance Fleet Manual. This turns your Fleet into an ‘Alliance Fleet’.

Here is what it says in the marauder and mercenary manual:

Your Fleet’s minimum required Squadrons from each Tier MUST be chosen from the models available, and your Fleet Admiral must be placed on a Tier 1 model belonging to this Faction.

Apart from this, you may fill out the remainder of your Fleet using the models available either to your Core Faction, or the other factions within this Manual. The Fleet follows the normal Fleet Building rules and procedure as laid out in the Fleet Building section of the rulebook, with the Composition Tables found on the following page governing how many of each type of Squadron can be fielded, and which Tiers they fall into.

The same applies to support fleets as well as marauder.

Welcome to FSA! I also came over from the Grimdark universe so I share your sense of awe. In relation to your questions on the pathogen ships, there are no “official” ships other than the two captured examples at the moment. Those of us who are spreading the infection usually either proxy ships from other fleets, convert ships into pathogen or scratch build from the ground up. There are some great threads in the hobby section on this. (Man, my wrist hurts from patting my own back that hard) Most take the route of “tentacle-ing” existing ships and calling them pathogen. I have done a bit of this but when I decided to get serious I looked for a way to distinguish between the “core” pathogen ships and the “captured” ships. Basically if you’re playing pathogen you have to get to “hobby” them out whatever you have on hand.

Now what about the captured pathogen vessels.  I am not sure I fully understand the rules, or how I would use them.  I figured they were pathogen vessels, but after reading the replies, made me wonder if those are available to be used in a force I described above.

Pathogen can only ever play with Pathogen. No other fleet can bring them. The captured models are ones from other fleets that have been taken over by the Pathogen. From page 2 of the M&M Fleet Manual: Pathogen: Models from the Pathogen CANNOT be taken in any Fleet unless Pathogen is the Core Faction. If Pathogen is chosen as the Core Faction, no models from any other faction may be taken.

Also, the chart on page 8 shows that no other fleets may purchase Pathogen, and that Pathogen may purchase no models from any other fleet.

The captured squadrons are there to bring more generic squadrons that are cheap points-wise and don't effect the battle log if they explode. Page 29: Any ship with a "Captured" designation no longer has any effect on the Battle Log when reduced to half HP or destroyed. They are also the stats that you replace enemy models's stats with when you successfully assault and capture them (with either a normal assault or a Pathogen SRS assault) and add them to your squadron. Outside of the actual playing of the game, captured models allow you to hobby it up and sculpt / green stuff / etc other fleets models and make some captured Pathogen models for yourself.

Thanks guys for the responses.  I thought at first those where captured from the Pathogens and put back to use.  It is actually the other way around, and kinda reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek and Reapers from Firefly.

Thanks guys for the responses.  I thought at first those where captured from the Pathogens and put back to use.  It is actually the other way around, and kinda reminds me of the Borg from Star Trek and Reapers from Firefly.

`

Just to let you know - the reapers from Firefly are best represented by the Veydreth I think. Pirates, launderers, thieves, and mutilators - and the ships even look evil and vile!

`

Just to let you know - the reapers from Firefly are best represented by the Veydreth I think. Pirates, launderers, thieves, and mutilators - and the ships even look evil and vile!

Or the Ba'Kash. Brutal boarders working with limited resources, probably made worse by Directorate meddling...

`

I disagree I think the Veydreth are more like mercenary Klingons. Yes they have a long history as raiders but they have a very advanced fleet roster and aren't just allies they are synergistic Allies with the most stalwart and "logical" faction in the game. I don't think that meshes well with them as pillaging psychopaths they seem more like Vikings. They'll work with you if it's worthwhile and take what they want if not.

To bring this back to the topic of mercenaries and Marauders I think the Oroshan are like historical Spartans. A militaristic culture which us why they are mercenaries more than raiders.