Schnaps

Illosians, anyone?

Hi everyone,

On page 11 of the Firestorm: Armada Rulebook I stumbled across the following sentence:

"The militaristic Illosians agreed to fight to hit out against their former home, the Aquan Sebrutan."

And then I found this interesting fluff page hidden at the bottom of the Zenian League page:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/products/firestorm-galaxy/firestorm-armada/illosian

But I cannot find anything further. No ships, no rules about them. I am really interested in them, is there any way to play them or make use of them yet? Maybe just use Aquan type ships and "pretend" it's Illosians?

If anyone has info about this topic, thanks in advance for sharing! Greatly appreciated!

Your Admiral Schnaps

(btw, that would be THE way for me to get my fingers on the aquan ships, although i'm Zenian only ;) )

But, but ... the sentence is there, in the book (and the entire entry on the website)! They didn't remove it like the Chegya ... is there still hope? :(

The weapon systems sound similar to the ones that the Aquans use, so maybe just use modified, otherly painted/overworked/resculpted Aquan ships then?

But, but ... the sentence is there, in the book (and the entire entry on the website)! They didn't remove it like the Chegya ... is there still hope? :(

The weapon systems sound similar to the ones that the Aquans use, so maybe just use modified, otherly painted/overworked/resculpted Aquan ships then?

The problem with your idea about using Aquan ships, is that there are no stats.

At least not yet. You never know what Spartan is working on.

Besides, aren't they mentioned in the Planetfall book?

I guess there is always hope.

Here's what it says in Planetfall (page 54):

Racial Pacts, Zenian side:

All Armada races are given, as well as two 'new' ones:

Saurian Conclaves

Illosians

I doubt they would make the Support Races an even 6 Factions/Races per side in Planetfall without doing the same in Armada. But with the release of Halo, and all the obvious work that went into System Wars and the (first) six Planetary Invasion fleets... it might be a while.

Besides, they still have plenty of stats without models they need to work on, and two Support Fleets with only a Dreadnought for a Tier 1 Selection.

With how they're still mentioned, I'd say that the Illosians are still coming, that they will be in the game.  Eventually.  

A while back there was some ideas kicking around about working out some stats that were at least similar to the originals, though still different.  A few ideas stuck, and some ships were designed for the hell of it.  Link is in my signature if anyone would like to go over them.  

With how they're still mentioned, I'd say that the Illosians are still coming, that they will be in the game.  Eventually.  

A while back there was some ideas kicking around about working out some stats that were at least similar to the originals, though still different.  A few ideas stuck, and some ships were designed for the hell of it.  Link is in my signature if anyone would like to go over them.  

The only files I see are for the military installations all the other folders appear empty.

Based on the description I assumed the Illosions would have Beam weapons with split fire by default and probably have a rapid drop off in power with each Range Band rather than the normal bump in RB 2.  Probably a bit more Resilient than regular Aquans and lacking shields.  Maybe single Arc weapons but highly maneuverable.

It was also empty for me.

I see Illosians having beam weapons; maybe only 10-20" range band. Higher DR/CR rating then standard. For torps, each ship would probably have two sets of "Any" torps (overwhelming torpedo firepower). For Arc Field, each ship has an Arc Field value (like Planetfall). During the command phase, they can reduce their shield values; for every point of shield spent, they can roll that many Arc Field dice (so with Arc Field (4), spending two points of shields gets an 8 AD attack). Arc Field attacks are 10" (sort of like Point-Defense Barrage); maybe a special rule that lets it make a targeted strike without penalty? Give them high AP, low PD/CP, maybe a slightly higher than average points cost?

Who were the Saurian Conclaves?

The Saurians were a rebel faction of the Sorylians who wanted to push the technological envelope rather than always playing it safe. They were actually some of the first aliens humans ran into.

That's an interesting interpretation of the Arc weapon for Illosians. Based on the description I saw it as a energy attack that could either hit multiple targets or be focused on a single target, which is why Split Fire seemed like a good way to handle it. They didn't strike me as being a shield using faction (just seemed more tough and tumble) and I didn't recall mention of them bring torpedo heavy but I may have overlooked that.

I did just realize Illosians and the Saurian Conclave are effectively the Dindrenzi of the Aquans and the Sorylians respectively. The "Rebel" faction as it where. So perhaps similarly they'll be defined by those source factions. Terrans have Shields, close range optimized weapons, and versatile firing arcs while Din have ablative plating, long range optimized weapons, and limited but powerful firing arcs. So if Aquans have lots of energy manipulation and speed perhaps the Illosians will be focused on durability and raw destructive power. While Saurians will sacrifice the durability of the Sorylians and replace it with higher speeds and more exotic weapons.

[...]

And then I found this interesting fluff page hidden at the bottom of the Zenian League page:

http://www.spartangames.co.uk/products/firestorm-galaxy/firestorm-armada/illosian

[...]

Everytime I read that one line in the article, ( "The Illosians are a crustacean-type race...")  there is immediately one image that comes to mind... :D

GYR3oph.jpg