Sign in to follow this  
Magarch

Clarification for activation

Greetings everyone,

After Armada, I began to play a few games of Planetfall so that I can invade these planets with my Invasion Fleet. They were quick and fun, so much I decided to extend my Core Helix with a few reinforcements.

While painting my Directorate army, I was asking myself a few questions about activation.

So, when a player decide to put some of his assets in Sky Drop, they don't count as activation until he "decide to bring them in as Activations on their own".

I understand that you can't activate them if you already played all of their Helix and passed on another one. But I would like a clarification on how to play the following case;

- Directorate player has 15 activations on the table.

- Dindrenzi player has 10 activations on the table, but two others are kept in Sky Drop.

- Initiative goes to Dindrenzi player first.

- After 10 activations, the hand goes again to Dindrenzi player but he has only the two kept in Sky Drop.

If the Dindrenzi player decide at that time not to activate, what happens?

* The Directorate player plays everything else and Dindrenzi player can't bring his Sky Drop units later this turn, because he didn't activate anything at his activation?

* The activations still alternate, with Dindrenzi player deciding to activate his Sky Drop units each time he has the hand, thus making it possible for him to wait for the Directorate player to activate all his units left before the Sky Drops units can come, knowing they don't have a lot to be afraid for this turn since his opponent can't play anything else?

I tried to find the answer in the rules, but it seems it's not really written about how activations work in that case. The page 80 seems to say the player owning units in Sky Drop just decides at which time he brings them on. And the rules on page 31 in "Alternating Activations" don't talk about this.

Can you help me? Thanks in advance!

The Dinz player chooses when to bring in his skydrops.

So for example in his core he has drop pods of infantry he can activate at any point (his activation) while activating other core so could if he wanted start with them but once he activates a unit from another helix he has locked himself out of those core skydrops until the next turn.

The Dinz player chooses when to bring in his skydrops.

So for example in his core he has drop pods of infantry he can activate at any point (his activation) while activating other core so could if he wanted start with them but once he activates a unit from another helix he has locked himself out of those core skydrops until the next turn.

So you mean that in that case, the Dindrenzi player can wait for the Directorate player to activate all of his units on the table before deciding to bring the Sky Drops?

The decision in this scenario is after you have activated the last of the on-table activations in that Helix, and it's your go again, you can either 1) call in a Sky Drop activation, 2) move onto another helix if you have one, or 3) pass if you have no more helixes left. Once you have passed it is open season for your opponent with his activations until the next turn. :)

So no, you can't 'hold off' your activations till later, you either activate something that is on the table, or you pass for the turn as you have 'no activations' left (even though they are up in orbit somewhere... :P )

So no, you can't 'hold off' your activations till later, you either activate something that is on the table, or you pass for the turn as you have 'no activations' left (even though they are up in orbit somewhere... :P )

Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Well, it's the page 80 that gets me asking the question, since there is nothing I found in the rules saying about the possibility of passing (or not passing) on alternating activations and page 80 seems to say the player having assets in Sky Drop decides when he wants, how he wants.

It comes down to 'do you have an activation to play on the field?', because if not it's the end of your turn same as if you simply had less activations than your opponent. The only difference is you can call in an activation to the field to be your activation, but if you don't, you have no units left to activate so it's the end of your turn and those Sky Drop assets stay off-field till later turns. :)

It comes down to 'do you have an activation to play on the field?', because if not it's the end of your turn same as if you simply had less activations than your opponent. The only difference is you can call in an activation to the field to be your activation, but if you don't, you have no units left to activate so it's the end of your turn and those Sky Drop assets stay off-field till later turns. :)

Absolutely. It's just it's not written in the rules, that's all. ;)

I play a lot of games using different rules for activations, and so I find it weird it was a bit lacking in Planetfall rules. It's like there was only one way to alternate activations and they didn't think necessary to mention you have to play an activation when the hand goes to you and if you don't, you can't activate anything else until the next turn.

But now, it's all clear, thanks again. :)

All good, I do understand it's not explicit, which is a shame as it's better to fix loopholes like this so they don't cause arguments.

I used the logic inherent in the rules to come to my conclusion. Nothing to activate, end of your turn. Optional activations? Activate them, or you don't have anything to activate, so end of your turn... :P

Anyways, hope it helps! :D

Also if you have the physical copy of the rule book, its more useful as kindling or toilet paler now as the digital version has had some tweaks and clarifications to alot of areas.

Too bad it doesn't in that case. ;)

But honestly, the physical copy isn't that awful - core rules mainly stay the same. It's a bit annoying not everything is in the FAQ you can find in the downloads area of the website, though.

So once the embarked squad disembarks does the apc and inf count as separate activiations? ie does the apc activate when the inf squad does? I might be doing this wrong and thanks for your reply.

A vehicle carrying troops and the troop squad disembarking are considered separate activations.  Disembarking is the movement part of the squad's activation, using the vehicle's location as their starting point for a cruising speed movement for each infantry base. 

The rule "Assault Vehicle" is what allows troops to disembark and take their turn right after their vehicle takes its turn.  If a vehicle carrying infantry has that rule, it means they can take their turn and you then have the option of immediately taking a turn with the embarked infantry instead of switching over to your opponent.  If you don't have "Assault Vehicle," you'd have to wait until later in the turn to activate the infantry squads and disembark them.