Moonhare

Arronax clarification

Can anyone advise me?

1. Is this the correct sequence of actions?

a. Arronax on the major water surface approaches an island, completes its move onto the island and adds a low speed manoeuvre game marker (giving it +1 to attackers targetting it).

b. During it's next activation the Arronax submerges onto the island during the movement declarations segment so benefitting from being immune to being targeted except from CC and concentrated bombing. and choosing to remove the low speed marker.

c. In the next activation it then opts to occupy the surface during the movement declarations segment  and commence moves and attack enemy models.

2. Does the whole footprint of the Arronax model's base need to be on the island to burrow? What if it only partially moves off the island when submerged? Does it still benefit/suffer the consequences of being submerged when in this state?

Thanks in advance.

1a,b,c is correct

2 reading the rules I would say:

The Water Major Surface is impassable to armoured burrowing models, so the Arronax will be immediately scrapped if half on land/sea. Multi-purpose just counts for the surface. (D3 Terrain "Impassable" p.106 AE)

Thanks for your comments.

As I understand it a Multi-Purpose model (Section D9) always treats all major/minor surfaces (water surface, ice sheet/ floating wreckage, ship graveyard, shallow water, cliffs) as having terrain quality of clear. However, a Multi-Purpose model 'always refers to its listed Type (or Diving/Burrowing Function if applicable) for purposes of terrain interaction' (Section D9). So does this mean that the Arronax follows the Burrowing classification making interactions with islands clear, but reefs, sandbars and icebergs impassable (Section D3)?

If the Arronax can be on both the island and water at the same time (both counting as clear) can it enter burrowed state if only partially on the island? Similarly, can the Arronax partially exit the island while remaining in the burrowed state? This would have advantages akin to 'toeing on the hill' to draw an analogy with Warmachine-Hordes.

If the Arronax can be on both the island and water at the same time (both counting as clear) can it enter burrowed state if only partially on the island? Similarly, can the Arronax partially exit the island while remaining in the burrowed state? This would have advantages akin to 'toeing on the hill' to draw an analogy with Warmachine-Hordes.

No, no more so than a Multi-Purpose Diving unit can enter the Submerged state while partially on an island. To Burrow, it must be entirely on the island. To leave the island, it must be on the Surface. :)

Just measured the Arronax base - 4 3/8" long. This means finding an island minimum width 4 3/8" width to burrow into. It also means and starting movement segment no further than 2 5/8" away from the island in order to complete the move onto it to enable it to burrow in the next turn! As well as having to endure +1 to hit from a low speed manoeuvre marker while it waits...

Has anyone attempted a naval use of this lurking ambush successfully?

Just measured the Arronax base - 4 3/8" long. This means finding an island minimum width 4 3/8" width to burrow into. It also means and starting movement segment no further than 2 5/8" away from the island in order to complete the move onto it to enable it to burrow in the next turn! As well as having to endure +1 to hit from a low speed manoeuvre marker while it waits...

Has anyone attempted a naval use of this lurking ambush successfully?

Without hiding it in an island then pouncing on something foolish enough to come that close, I can't see this surviving long enough in naval battles to be worthwhile.

Played a few games w it now but without diving it just gets blasted b4 any chance to attack. Also with 7" move n low DR most things can seriously hurt it b4 it gets chance to do anything.

A friend of mine (Sidrial on the forum) took an Arronax and put it on a barge for some additional movement speed and protection. Due to transporting rules, the barge would tank most of the damage before unleashing the Arronax at closer range, ready for some cruiser munching. Admirable plan, and I was completely flabberghasted.

Two extremely lucky Prussian activations later the barge sunk and took the Arronax with it.

Still, one of the most creative things I've seen in Dystopian Wars to date. I'll admit I ran scared as well imagining an Arronax rampaging through my cruisers and poured some excessive fire into it, thus leaving the rest of his fleet to pick my fleet apart piece by piece.

Well, i recently played my Arronax(with 2.0 rules) and it ate two Japanese Gunships(OHHHHH THE IRONY), and it sunk a destroyer. My opponent deployed them as an Advanced Force, which has made it easier, and also, my Death Worm got help from my Thales squadron, but still, it is a good outcome!

With 2.2 rules (current) I'm unsure as to why Arronax is still being sold as part of a naval formation and fills a naval formation slot in the Orbat?

It's now an Assault Robot and a very easy, soft target on the water surface. It can't even wavelurk! Bar hiding it behind small/mediums I don't see its place in a naval battle. Such a cool mini. If it's rules supported its appearance and fluff I'd happily pay more points for it. As it is ..... It stays at home :(

You have to hide it behind terrain. Then it can work. But i agree, it might be difficult to play it effectively, if the enemy knows what it can do.

A little buff would be cool, maybe Wave Lurker(including +2"). That might already be enough. Or make it medium. It makes sense looking at the size of it. It's as big as a battlecruiser.

I'm just going to bump this discussion hoping Spartan will do something to fix the Arronax.

It either needs to come out of the Hunter Flotilla and be listed/labelled/sold only as a land vessel, or rules adjusted to justify its place in a working naval function.

It's too vulnerable and slow as a large with way too many other options that are far more points effective. Such a great model too.

And before anyone tells me about the Coeus - that does NOT fix the Arronax, it's just a diversion.

Please give us a useful response Spartan.

Since when does 1) what the model looks like 2) what the model fluff is 3) what the model was intended to do 4) what makes sense etc, etc... actually come out in practice in the ORBATS?

A wave lurking/diving/burrowing, amphibious burrowing mechanical worm that chews up the enemy... well maybe is used to do that but you know... those honourable CoA scientists just couldn't bring themselves to unleash such weapons of death and so retroactively refitted the entire worm fleet back to the "prototype gimp" form... just to play fair.

Much like they seem to have done with pretty much the rest of their ORBAT.....

I think the fact that the Arronax is sold in a naval Hunter Flotilla box, that we will always see it as a Naval vessel a wish to see diving/submersible rules.

If there was a MKII designed for burrowing/land use while still keeping a MkI naval version u could keep folks happy.

To be honest, that seems like it would overcomplicate things- two separate model entries for one model/ an upgrade seems a bit much when giving it both seems like a fair option- using both in one game would be a fairly niche use. That said, i would use it.

So sensible option would be to return it to being multipurpose diving. Or at some points/rules adjustment let it be both diving and burrowing as the model suggests (and probably why this confusion started in the 1st place).

But u must retain naval capacity since its being sold as a naval vessel.