Sign in to follow this  
Cuirassé d'escadre

Terran Infantry Tactics

I'm forcing myself to learn infantry tactics, even though the Terran infantry are far from my favorite units. Need some tactics to mix up my strategies and keep my opponents guessing.

For core infantry: take max gun teams, wait as long as possible on the first turn then move them into my tertiary objective, at the start of the second activate them first and put the team in overwatch. Incoming dindrenzi or relthoza will get shot up before being able to storm the building, hopefully making capturing the building too great a challenge.

Recon: Take a secondary objective with heavy infantry or light infantry (max sweeper teams and an officer), don't worry about overwatch as it takes at least three turns to get it (one to move and disembark, one to get in, one more to overwatch), keep the leviathan close to the sweeper teams to take advantage of the sheild generator for the turn they are outside the APC and vulnerable.

Does anyone use infantry offensively? How?

I would say limit the infantry deployment to compliment the Leviathan, not the other way around. In a high points game there are enough secondary objectives to give some good deployment options for both.

But yes, even with a shield tank the APCs are not very tough, personally I almost never put a sheild tank with the APC, doesn't help enough with survivability.

I believe the Recon Helix is the best way to use infantry in a more offensive strategy. Having that free Recon Move helps a lot to get close to the middle of the battlefield. I also think Terran Heavy Infantery is especially made to hold his grounds on the middle objective - high DR, shield in case someone tries to use a Barrage weapon on them and good anti personnal weaponry that makes the Overwatch quite appealing, especially when Nyx start to rain.

Terran APC may not be that tough, but they still are tougher than Hirdmen infantry...You don't really expect the Sinir to survive a long time, just to take enough hits instead of their precious content.

The speed of the Sinir combined with the assault vehicle MAR is pretty nice.

Problem with the recon helix is that it gets so far away from the rest of the trundle-terrans and then the rest of the force hasn't the range to deter enemy closing in on the recon.

I used my recon helix against Soryllians. They blitzed forward and grabbed the second objective smashing the Soryllian light and infantry, but then the medium walker with scatter rolled up and killed everyone.

Heavy infantry is boss, tho. Love those guys.

I wonder if Terran infantry bonanza is worth a shot? Generally I find opponents skimp on anti infantry. If you take out the light vehicles, the infantry running around with difficult target is kinda cool.

Jump into a Forrest maybe if you are worried about tracked vehicles trying to get within 4" to CQB.

Probably in practice it plays out far worse than in my brain. If you hug an edge, you can always bail out with the APCs off the side if they look like they will be threatened. Terran infantry can run kinda quick so not so bad without the transports.

I would like to see if the mobile command vehicle with shield projector and grand battalion would be nice. Can't wait to see what the rules for it are. The rulebook elludes to it having shield projector and a decent transport capacity when it's referred to in the rule book.

You can use the Shield Ullr to protect the Sinir, and placing it closer to the enemy so he has to damage the Ullr first.. Also, the Card "Improved Harmonics" can even make the Sinir even more tankier, but whatch out for enemy heavy tanks and try to use terrain of (if you can) heimdalls or light vehicles to block LOS as much as possible. With the coming of the new aerial helixes you can support/ cover the sinir better at its destination

If the objective building is already occupied use your barrage weapons to help hirdmen or huscarl storming it. Try a placed shot. Sorylian Kul´voks are easier to kill with barrage weapons

Dan

What infantry upgrades are worth taking for Terrans?

I think the office base is woth it.sweepers or gun teams?

The gun teams are average but cheap enough.

Sweeper teams are standard, but compared to other factions with kill team and other bonuses, do we bother competing?

Maybe cheap and cheerful is the way to go? Just save 45 points on upgrades? I think 45 points is peanuts in this game and would always do office and full sweeper or guns.

I guess if we are so average at CQB do just go full guns and avoid CQB at all costs?

Full sweeper team upgrades gets us up to 18 CQB which I guess is pretty good. Not enough to hold off Directorate combat druged ballers.

I guess just wonder what most people do. I usually take sweepers.

What infantry upgrades are worth taking for Terrans?

I think the office base is woth it.sweepers or gun teams?

The gun teams are average but cheap enough.

Sweeper teams are standard, but compared to other factions with kill team and other bonuses, do we bother competing?

Maybe cheap and cheerful is the way to go? Just save 45 points on upgrades? I think 45 points is peanuts in this game and would always do office and full sweeper or guns.

I guess if we are so average at CQB do just go full guns and avoid CQB at all costs?

Full sweeper team upgrades gets us up to 18 CQB which I guess is pretty good. Not enough to hold off Directorate combat druged ballers.

I guess just wonder what most people do. I usually take sweepers.

It really depends on how you're planning to use them. For example, Sweepers are much more useful if you plan to storm or get stormed on Turn 2. Their extra CQB will help against all except maybe Nyx, but even then they could clinch you more kills. 6 CQB extra is nothing to scoff at.

Gun Teams are much better if you somehow get them onto the secondary/your tertiary and manage to overwatch them. They're far safer against enemies, but take longer to set up. They're also more useful against vehicles if you manage to get them into a good firing spot. 

I usually take Gun Teams.

Well after facing first turn grand companies striking anywhere they want, waves of regenerating hormagaunts, and suprise buttfun better than u infantry from the sky Terran infantry seems rather a wast of points.

Its relative, the only other objective holders we have are Valkyries which are probably the biggest points sinks in the list after tank destroyers. So the infantry are at least harder to kill (marginally). The real question is whether to bother upgrading them with anything except an LT.

Dan,

How do you get into overwatch on turn 2? I thought your infantry had to be embarked in the SNIR on the first turn.  Is that what the entry says in the force org charts?

Yes, it comes embarked in the Sinir but nothing prevents you from disembarking them on turn 1, so on turn 2 they can go on overwatch. The only thing not allowed is to embark and disembark / occupying and leaving in the same turn.

Yes, it comes embarked in the Sinir but nothing prevents you from disembarking them on turn 1, so on turn 2 they can go on overwatch. The only thing not allowed is to embark and disembark / occupying and leaving in the same turn.

They will, however, be standing in the open like newborn ducks, so thats one thing you have to consider. They are a lot safer from Nyx and Relthozan assault pods, though.

They will, however, be standing in the open like newborn ducks, so thats one thing you have to consider. They are a lot safer from Nyx and Relthozan assault pods, though.

To protect them in the open you can place an Odin near them, and block LoS  with their transport. ;)

Speaking of transport, if you attach an Ullr Mk II you get another model to cover your infantry. The Ullr could slow down the the transport but it will add more CQB to the Sinir´s :)

The way I read it, it will always be turn three before you can overwatch. Turn to move and disembark, turn to occupy (counts as movement), then overwatch. You can overwatch on turn two if you don't occupy the building (which makes your disembark move very important). In this case recon lets you get further but doesn't help with getting to overwatch as you can't diembark in recon phase.

Ultimately, because of how the force orgentry is written (infantry starts embarked) you have three mutually exclusive actions: disembark, occupy, overwatch that require three turns to accomplish. The only option to shorten the process is not to occupy a building.

Am I missing something? If there is a way to occupy a building and be on overwatch on turn two, please educate me. My Terrans need all the help they can get. :)

Am I missing something? If there is a way to occupy a building and be on overwatch on turn two, please educate me. My Terrans need all the help they can get. :)

You can disembark in the movement phase and storm a building in the CQB phase in the first. Next turn you can go on overwatch.

You can disembark in the movement phase and storm a building in the CQB phase in the first. Next turn you can go on overwatch.

Yes you can, theoretically, but this requires an enemy to actually be inside it. Which is impossible for any current faction to do.

Yes you can, theoretically, but this requires an enemy to actually be inside it. Which is impossible for any current faction to do.

It is for Sorylians, Aquan and Directorate. They can take infantries without transport in their Core Helix. Trouble is that it is usually their tertiary objective they can occupy on turn 1.

It is for Sorylians, Aquan and Directorate. They can take infantries without transport in their Core Helix. Trouble is that it is usually their tertiary objective they can occupy on turn 1.

Oh, so they can. I was pretty sure they couldnt in the previous ORBAT. My bad.

EDIT: No, wait, they could. Im clearly crazy. Too much Terran thinking in my veins.