Drachenfutter

Ironclad, Tournament pack for D:Wars

A lot of people seem to be talking about the TAC changes that Ironclad introduces- has anyone tried the changes, but minus the substraction to points rule? I find it hard enough to find players willing invest the time a single DW match takes, let alone when I introduce a mechanic that would increase the time it takes to play a game. I realise they're supposed to be used in conjunction with a scenario that have different ending conditions rather than just the straight up 50%/70% rules, but still.

I find it hard enough to find players willing invest the time a single DW match takes, let alone when I introduce a mechanic that would increase the time it takes to play a game.

In games around 1000 points cards actually speed up the game a little bit as majority of cards are canceled. Having not the opportunity to cancel everything does not make any difference in my opinion as long as you do not substract. When the card is canceled, you got points. When it is not canceled, your opponent got points. In both cases one of you is closer to that 50%/70% goal.

Substracting points together with standard orders will make the game longer but this negative effect is nullified by scenarios.

aye, I meant specifically that cards substract from the total rather than add to any. Right now I use vanilla rules, with randomized TACs, since I don't mind a bit of extra randomness. Curious to try the no-cancel rules though.

Thanks. And I have questions already :-)

Sturginium vein.

Does objectives have neutral AP at the start of the game? If yes, then how many and what is their quality?

What does the second part of the last sentence in the second paragraph of the Objective section mean?: " ... and that models must defend themeselves before the objective as per the rules of defensive fire"

Royal couple.

What part of the ship must be in the zone to be counted as a scoring ship?

1. The objective has no neutral AP

2. When AA ing the objective a '5' places a fire marker. Whether or not not it has so controlling it the objective rolls to repair markers in the end phase.

3. In royal couple the bow of a ship indicates which zone it's in, for a 360 move model it's the central point.

IRONCLAD 2017:

So its always been my intention to perform regular updates on Ironclad, and after a break away from Dwars I'm looking to start an update to be ready for the 2017 "Season".

For the most part it'll be a few little wording tweeks here and there for naval and objectives, however I am looking for prospective replacements for a couple of scenarios (mainly convoy and Fusion leak)

Other changes/additions:

• Land, Ive had plans for land scenarios for ages Ive been keeping a lot in my back pocket, many can be translated straight from naval however some more flavour scenarios would always be good, the idea being to have an entire set of 12
  • Air, would people like to see Air scenarios? And if so would anybody like to suggest some terrain for it?

If you would like to suggest a scenario please bear in mind the following guidelines:

1. Symmetry,  all competitive games should give both players the same set of challenges
  2. Falling within the rules: can you explain any special effects with the Mars or descriptions in 2.0?
  3. Attainable: While some fleets struggle with certain scenario criteria they must all be able to fulfill them. 
  4. Time friendly: if it takes more than three turns its probably not tournament suitable.
  5. Equally rewarding, you'll notice that all Ironclad missions give out all sorts of Scenario points (SP)  but they arent added up for tie breaks, but victory points scoring and tournament point rewards are always similar (apart from M.A.D) so one round isn't worth more than another. Dont lump extra victory points on stuff (thats what SP are for).
  6. Scaleable, a decent scenario should work for 1k on a 4x4 (even at 1k you should be playing 6x4 btw) or at 2k

Have fun, if anybody has anything get it to me by the end of november and I'llsee if I can get it in.

Air Terrain - can be applied to one or two or both height bands:

Cloudbanks - block LOS, does not impede movement.

Patches of Strong Winds - does not block LOS, impairs movement

Mountains - block LOS, block movements

Sturginium Storm - block LOS, impair movement

Typhoon / Hurricane / Sirocco ( :P ) - moving terrain that blocks LOS and damages units

My 2 cents. 

So I tried an updated version of the Operation Black Fire from the V1.1 Merchants Fleet Guide.

It needed to be converted to the new cost values- big changes there.

It was kind of a slaughter. It has Aergia Oil Rigs and merchants getting fueled, all were mauled before the defending force could interdict.

So I will modify the scenario to increase the distance needed for the attackers to close and keep the interdiction fleet's distance the same.

May need to adjust the point values a bit. The defenders have the merchants/rigs fleet that have some weapons, including a true Q-ship (Resurrecting the Reactive Fire MAR) with an MFV of 400 points. The defending Interdiction Fleet, with an MFV of 800 points.  Nothing larger than mediums and one aerial squadron.

The Attacker has 1,100 MFV with only one large, and one aerial. No local air.

I will do an AAR for the next test.