FSAHoops

Prussians or French?

The French can be a variety of different types of fleets.

1) heat lances are great specialized weapons with pinpoint and piercing as well as some extra fire.

2) a gunnery fleet- saint Malo and full gunnery Magentas are wonderful platforms and having turrets that can link with broadsides for some serious AD spreads though like the FSA their guns degrade fast.

3) Boarding fleet- Dieppes and requins are your keys for these fleets as well as a magenta with aggressive crew. They have some serious speed to get into boarding range quick and throw some guns and torps on the way in.

4) Corrosive fun!- my personal favorite. The new bomber we got are great at throwing out corrosive tokens as well as our one sub the Epaulards who can take out anything from smalls to linked attacks to damage larges. St. Malo also can join in on this.

5) Anti air- With redoubtable Ack Ack and some ships with high angle weapons paired with a carrier or two and Voltaire interceptors you can control the skies.

I could keep going on about specific units and strategies but I could be taking for weeks about that

Good luck in your choice as both fleets are fun!

These are my two fleets and I also play against local Prussians a bit. Im quite new but my initial feelings are:

I like playing the French because they dont have a default engagaement range - sometimes you want to sit back and fire at superior closerange fleets, sometimes you want to close with superior longrange fleets. What you're best at seems to vary wildly depending on your list too, since there's such good variety of ships. Heat Lances are a lot of fun to use properly too - effective use to exert control over enemy ships via crits, and reacting to take advantage of those crits (like bombing shredded defence targets) is interesting. Your stuff is also deceptively really tough. I also think the ships look really awesome - very realistic with a touch of scifi in the heat lances.

I like playing Prussians because they are tough and love to get in your face, but whereas the Russians want to get in your face and shoot you, the Prussians have the boarding side of the game which I feel makes them interesting to play - knowing when to shoot and when to board. Closing with decent firepower whilst slowing whittling away crew, knowing that your opponent knows you're going to board all of his defenseless ships on an ever-decreasing timer is fun. I also love that Prussians have the most real looking boats in the game - real WW2 battleships - and probably the steampunkiest balloon in the Imperium!

We run highly competative lists in our group and ill sum up my french.....

hard to beat.

seriously i think ive lost 1 game in a playtest and not lost at all a competative game.

why are the French good?

Because we have few weaknesses and our strengths are counter to the three biggest killers in the game.

1) Boarding - crazy high redoubtable Ack Ack

2) cloud gens - reduces high number of dice pools to just a 33% hit ratio

3) exploding dice - ever been crit from that crazy line of 6's....well retardant says non :P

Combined with.our gunnery being secondary means that we nearly always hit on a 4 regardless of RB 1.

our mediums are average, but our larges are some of the toughest and heavily armed there is

I run both French and Prussian fleets here against my KoB/Raj (mainly Raj) opponent. French and Prussian larges are both very though, especially the heavy battleships and the dreadnoughts (the Vauban for example). My French mediums tend to survive a little bit more then my Prussian mediums, but then might be because of my medium heavy French fleets.

In general, Prussian fleets are somewhat light on mediums and heavy on smalls and larges. French can be run either way, but I prefer to run slightly light on smalls (main due to not having the destroyers jet, and begin a bit spoiled by my Prussian smalls).

I've been very successful running combined fleets of French and Prussians lately. They have some synergies that might be interesting. I've used an Elbe and some squadrons smalls in a French SAS heavy fleet for good effect. On the other side, I've used the St Malo and the Epaulards to support a Prussian fleet to good effect.

So disappointed that the brits don't rock. torpedos without rb1 is definetely not cool.

Or just torpedoes in general for me!

I was so disappointed when DW was first released, I bought Brits and they had.... something other than big guns :(

Anyway, sorry derail!