Captain_Dan

Occupy-able Forests/jungles and other questions.

Having so many questions about forest /jungles

If a forest is defined as occupy-able....

...Does it count as a building for purposes of storming CQB?

... can you fire (and be fired) through any point of the forest?

If a walker or other vehicle able to move through forest... Can it occupy it?  This could lead to a strange situation were a walker (say a leviathan) can´t enter a forest because it has been ocuppied by an infantry unit (occupancy level of 1) :blink:

Do Infantry need to move through a large forest normally (ie, like in open terrain) or can it exit from any point of it like if it were a building?

I have another question about SD markers or objective markers. Can they be stepped on by a vehicle?...or Should be moved the minimum distance away?

(I had problems with lumbering vehicles and in one case with regular vehicles in a bottleneck situation that made them being disordered for not being witihn  2" of each other because the (supposed) inability to move the marker.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Having so many questions about forest /jungles

...Does it count as a building for purposes of storming CQB?

... can you fire (and be fired) through any point of the forest?

Do Infantry need to move through a large forest normally (ie, like in open terrain) or can it exit from any point of it like if it were a building?

Yes, it's kinda assumed the forest should be a reasonable size though(aka building sized) to prevent game breakingness. Treat it tactically like a building with less cover and...

If a walker or other vehicle able to move through forest... Can it occupy it?  This could lead to a strange situation were a walker (say a leviathan) can´t enter a forest because it has been ocuppied by an infantry unit (occupancy level of 1) :blink:

Rulewise no, it can't occupy as only infantry can occupy. However it technically could pass through an unoccupied forest, and I personally would allow a model to pass through an occupied one as long as it finished outside as really the rules are vague on this at the moment. Which brings us to your other question.

I have another question about SD markers or objective markers. Can they be stepped on by a vehicle?...or Should be moved the minimum distance away?

(I had problems with lumbering vehicles and in one case with regular vehicles in a bottleneck situation that made them being disordered for not being witihn  2" of each other because the (supposed) inability to move the marker.

Markers are just that, markers. They may me moved through at no penalty. However they may NOT have a movement end on top of them or be moved. You also do not get a "fudge it" push to get off of it, if the model can't finish it's movement without being on top of the marker then you stop in btb or alter the movement action in a way that allows. Lumbering models that get stuck... somehow... will do the flatout pivot so they can walk around.

I've seen sky drop markers played two ways at two different venues.

At my last store, players were fine with models stopping on top of the markers since they weren't really there.

At my new store, players are absolutely opposed to allowing models to end movement on them.

I follow the When in Rome viewpoint and play as the community I'm gaming with does but it's odd.

I am very much of the opinion that markers are "not there". They are a point on the battlefield and not a physical objectives in the battle zone. As such you can stop on top of them but are unable to move them for any reason.

Forcing a unit to walk around them would be like forcing it to walk around a disorder marker left by another model.

Checked agian the rulebook and Max is right.  :)  Only infantry can occupy either forests or buidings, but after thinking about it I came up with the following:

- Only terrain types with occupancy level (at the momment of writting this, are buildings... and forests if agreed) can be occupied by models that are allowed to occupy (infantry at the moment)

- Models able to occupy terrain are the only ones that get cover roll but at the same time they are also the only ones that can be the target of a storming CQB and be expelled from the terrain feature.

- The maximum number of friendly models that can ocuppy a terrain feature is determined by  the occupancy level (which is 1 in all cases at this moment)

- Models that are NOT able to occupy a terrain feature (but they can move through it -walkers, flyers, hover in case of forests-) treat that terrain as usual. this means they can stay on a forest with an infantry ocupping it but they cannot pass through the infantry bases phisically placed within it if not being able to do so normally (ie is not a flyer)

- when an infantry enters a forest or building you can place it anywere within it arranged as you please (but within coherency) the terrain feature is used to draw LOS shoot and be shoot and be contacted for a storming or leviathan cqb (in last case the closest base is the target). Other infantry cannot ocupy it  until the ocuppiers leave or are expelled.

- if the terrain feature is too small to hold all infantry bases some bases are left outside the terrain, they get no cover bonuses but cannot be reached by storming cqb

- leaving/entering the ocuppyable terrain feature by infanry takes one action, so they cannot disembark and ocuppy in the same activation or vice-versa (besides storming cqb). leaving the ocuppied building/forest can be done from any point of it,moving  cruising or flat out.

- infantry ocuppying a forest can shoot or cqb any non ocuppying squadron on it normally as if they were touching the squadron (that squadron counts as being base-to base with the forest... in fact is on top of it!)

Regarding the not allwing to end on top of a SD marker nor moving it I agree with althorin. It could possible to completely surround an objective marker with SD markers to prevent it from being contested. I'm not saying this is a viable tactic but... you know  :(  .

That's all I made this mostly to sort out the mess i had in my head.  Will  wait for the Spartans to confirm/refute those thoughts -_-

Dan