Sign in to follow this  
Lerriano

1250 CoA vs Danes - The Capture of Hjalmar Stark

Hjalmar swore violently in his native Danish. There was a huge disc hovering over a mountain in the distance. This was all he needed, the damn science brigade on some mission of their own indefatigable importance.

On the run from a Brittanian with a grudge, and now having been thwarted emphatically by the only other person from that fixed game of Baccarat on his way back to Didim, Hjalmar had gathered his fleet and made a dash for the Ottoman capital at Istanbul. But here in the rugged islands just south of the Dardanelles sat the Covenant.

“This is Castellan Marcos Direnza of the Esteemed Covenant of Antarctica,” crackled a voice through the radio. “Please disengage or we will be forced to take action.”

Hjalmar bristled. He wasn’t going to be told where he could or couldn’t go by some penguin-fancying boffin. The communication channel was opened to reply.

“Now see here!” he started, lighting up his pipe and winking at his alarmed first mate. “I’m not about to go back towards some treacherous frogs or a stir-crazy Englishman! I’m on a diplomatic mission to Istanbul!” There was a pause.

“Our intelligence tell us there is no Danish conversation ongoing with the Empire. I conclude that you are a liar. Prepare to engage.”

The channel fuzzed into static. The first mate sighed. Hjalmar had that glint in his eyes…

FORCES

Danes (Forum member Lerriano, looking for an entertaining Sunday afternoon)

200 - 1x Emperor + Shield + Elite Crew

160 – 1x Ragnarok + Agg Crew + Shield + Rear UPG

130 – 1x Gewitterwolke

255 – 3x Skaggerak + 1 Raised Turret

200 – 2x Fafnir + Tesla

100 – 4x Korsor

100 – 4x Korsor

100 – 4x Jager

CoA (Forum member likeAsir, in training for a tournament)

295 – 1x Euclid + Target Painter

215 – 1x Diophantus + Drones (Compared to the Emperor this is a goddamn steal)

125 – 1x Hippasus + Energy Turrets

195 – 3x Capek

115 – Nemesis + Dilation Gen

100 – 5x Thales

100 – 5x Thales

100 – 4x Fury

(Those that are paying attention may already be able to see the crux of where Hjalmar went wrong…)

SETUP

Because there’s some sort of tourney on, we set up 24” from each corner, with four or five pieces of terrain scattered evenly. The mission is set around controlling areas at the end of the game, four turns later. Cards were used also.

Turn 1

Danish and CoA both attempting to outflank each other, one flank the Diophantus and Hippasus aided by a unit of Thales were heading towards a showdown with the Rag, Skags one unit of Korsors.

Down the other flank the rest of the Danes were heading into what they were unaware would be a whirlwind of poop, straight towards the Nemesis and, after some shenanigans with a teleporter, nine small models, some of which were pointing piercing fore-guns at me…

Down the middle, Euclid and Gewitter square up for… not a two-sided match.

Casualties:

Danes

1x Korsor

CoA

20pt Card

Turn 2

The Danes did their most damage at this point, snapping up all the smalls on both flanks and essentially failing to hit anything else. The Capeks started their reign of fire, slashing two jagers and heavily damaging (with help from the Nemesis) the Fafnirs. That flank also picked off all the Korsors before they could deploy their big boom.

On the other flank, the gunships pressed fast to pick off the Thales, but at the cost of exposing themselves to Covenant torpedoes. Their high CC counts for nothing against firepower of that speed!

Casualties:

Danes

3x Korsor

2x Jager

20pt Card

CoA

4x Fury

5x Thales

5x Thales

Turn 3

(Authors note – I stopped keeping accurate count of casualties at this point because I was too busy weeping and swearing at my dice)

Not a great turn for Hjal. The Emperor moved in ‘to tackle that nemesis’, but missed it entirely, only scraping a single hit with his broadside. The capeks slipped around a hill to ruin all the rest of the flyers and the Euclid punched the Gewitter so hard it barely got up. When the Diophantus opened her broadside, that was it for blimpington.

On the other flank, the Rag kept itself alive only by not being involved. The Korsors set up a mine (which they then sat in front of so Hjalmar couldn’t swish it at the Diophantus…) and the gunships took a hull point off the Hipassus, but all died from torpedoes and lasers.

Casualties

Danes:

Everything except the two battleships.

CoA

Remaining units were the Euclid, Diophantus, all the capeks (hidden in a time dilation bubble after their ‘hit and run’), and the nemesis (despite the Emperor’s best efforts to throw dice at the problem).

Turn 4

Moderate housekeeping for the Scientists at this point. The Rag did manage to sink the Hippasus (to my genuine surprise, as I thought it had more HP than 6), but it was trashed by the Euclid, drones and Diphantus in return.

On the other flank, it was just time for the Capeks to swoop in with their 9 elite crew, swarming over Hjalmar’s flagship (which had suffered a couple of hard poundings.

Casualties

CoA

1x Hippasus

Danes

1x Rag

1x Emperor (prized)

The robot stormtroopers cracked open the secure bulkheads of the bridge, tearing hinges off the sturginium-steel alloy panels as though it were balsa-wood doweling. There, with his slightly saddened gaze fixed upon the huge Euclid preparing to gather up his surviving crew, sat Hjalmar Stark. One of the robots prodded him on the back.

“Scan for weapons… Negative. Scanning for language… Danish.” The robot’s voice changed into Stark’s mother tongue and even though coldly delivered and with minor grammatical errors, the meaning was clear. “Analysis: Combat is come to finishing. Initiate you to surrender protocols.”

Stark didn’t look around, pretending not to hear. The robot repeated itself and the metal hand gripped his shoulder uncomfortably. He sighed.

“Alright then. Take me to see this Castellan of yours…”

He watched bitterly from the window of the vast hovering disc as his flagship was towed away by the mercenary vessel, barely registering a single word the Castellan preached to him about fair warnings and conflict conventions.

He vowed cold revenge, and a heated escape…

Thanks for writing up your experience. I like the narrative at the end. Apart from your dice is there anything you would've done differently? Sounds like your opponent had a good list. It all looked so good at the end of turn two......

Not really, I know it's a cop out to say I had bad dice, but they were SO bad....

Also worth noting that I was not fielding a particularly optimised list, but likeAsir most certainly was.

Even above that though, the danes really lack the punch to deal with models like the Euclid and Diophantus. A high stats model with shields, inventive scientists, experienced engineers AND a -1 to hit... plus all sorts of anti-boarding and the best crew in the game.

I was outgunned, out-MARd, and even out-boarded. I'm not convinced the danes are better than mediocre in any department.

Nice models though.

Top tip - ally in things that will protect you, but can keep up with the Danish speed. Nemesis battlecruisers, ottoman cruisers with storm gens, HEC guardian shield shenanigans, whatever it takes.

And lobby spartan to treat them properly when they finally get brought up to date 18mo into v2.0...

I've gotta admit, I'm seriously thinking about getting a PE fleet just so I can get some KoD models on the go!

*throws tantrum* we're a proper fleet toooooooooooo!

But yes, mathematics state the most efficient way to play danes is to play prussians and close ally danish models in... >:(

We did a good post analysis and yeah, the Danes are really quite mediocre.

The scenario was table quarters so I did not have the range advantage for long as I had no choice but to advance.

The Danes need bigger guns. Maybe even devestating ordnance. Their defence should be attack an  they should be rewarded for Hunter/stalker tactics. 

I miss them being glass cannons. Now they are just glass.

But

From the sounds of it some of the allied nations are getting are down the gym as we speak (ottoman looks like Terry Crews). Hopefully we will see some more competitive stats.

You guys do realise that the only faction that scores even higher than the CoA on the Warlog are the KoD, right?

Cheers,

Not as far as we've seen QED.

Also that sample size is not as large as the others. I've got a science degree, statistical analysis is much more nuanced than this. Probably not even enough data points there for the data to be attributed to a normal curve, and therefore perhaps not even valid, my three battle reports of crippling catastrophic losses would easily skew that figure on the graph. I just haven't submitted them to the warlog (mainly on account of not knowing it existed).

We did a good post analysis and yeah, the Danes are really quite mediocre.

The Danes need bigger guns. Maybe even devestating ordnance. Their defence should be attack an  they should be rewarded for Hunter/stalker tactics. I miss them being glass cannons. Now they are just glass.

Warlog asides, I don't think the Danes are lacking regarding their guns... 3 Cruisers are pretty cheap and can unleash hell from RBII and closer. With their speed they can cross from RBIV to RBII and when the battling forces get closer even the last surviving Cruiser from a squadron is a pretty big threat able to prize/derelict an enemy Cruiser and crit anything up to a Carrier. The gunships still bring the biggest AD pool in DW and thus must be destroyed before they can strike at full strenght in RBII.

Hard to judge from just a Batrep, but it seems to me some thing went seriously wrong for the KoD in this game...

R

Not as far as we've seen QED.

Also that sample size is not as large as the others. I've got a science degree, statistical analysis is much more nuanced than this. Probably not even enough data points there for the data to be attributed to a normal curve, and therefore perhaps not even valid, my three battle reports of crippling catastrophic losses would easily skew that figure on the graph. I just haven't submitted them to the warlog (mainly on account of not knowing it existed).

Yes and no (I've got a physics and software background myself). It's true that there are few game with KoD. If you take a look at the division of the battles thought, you'll see that KoD has mostly CV and CD results. That in itself is very telling. It means that KoD battles tend towards an all or nothing result. Our own experiences with these guys in testing support that. The Danes have a very specific way of playing.

Besides, they absolutely rule RB1 firepower with their close range gunnery and 11AD per turret on anything bigger than a rowboat.

Question: against which factions did you play your games? Were they all against the CoA? It could be that the CoA are just very tough on KoD.

Cheers,

Besides, they absolutely rule RB1 firepower with their close range gunnery and 11AD per turret on anything bigger than a rowboat.

Question: against which factions did you play your games? Were they all against the CoA? It could be that the CoA are just very tough on KoD.

Cheers,

I don't like blaming the dice, but I unloaded two sets of 9AD into a nemesis and hit nothing. Ironically on of the broadsides did hit it I think.

Those cannons are easily worn down, though. Every faction except danes (I think?) Has a ranged weapon with the redoubtable Mar (I'm inclined to disregard the prussian lend lease models for this point, simply because they are there to save spartan designing a whole bacon fleet).

I've played Japanese (3rd turn CV to them), kod aerial vs french land (the interception of Hjalmar as detailed slightly lower down this forum turn 2 CV), British (think he got a narrow points victory), with ottoman allies vs a French naval fleet, (draw by time constraints but clouds helped a LOT), and a particularly obnoxious aussies with allied Russian dreadnought (thoroughly CV to aussies). No victories. I always seem out-mar'd for starters, or suffering underwhelming rolls, or picked off in RB3 because their gun combinations were more suited to sniping... korsors very rarely get to play their trump card.

Next match is aerial danes vs raj land. Hoping it won't be as bad as the french, but we'll see. Full report with pictures for that one.

Warlog asides, I don't think the Danes are lacking regarding their guns... 3 Cruisers are pretty cheap and can unleash hell from RBII and closer. With their speed they can cross from RBIV to RBII and when the battling forces get closer even the last surviving Cruiser from a squadron is a pretty big threat able to prize/derelict an enemy Cruiser and crit anything up to a Carrier. The gunships still bring the biggest AD pool in DW and thus must be destroyed before they can strike at full strenght in RBII.

Hard to judge from just a Batrep, but it seems to me some thing went seriously wrong for the KoD in this game...

R

The Russians get huge dice pools with ubiquitous munition MARs in RB2 as well as ablative armour, a range of mimic options, and if you ally in an American or aussie unit a kinetic gen. Therefore they end up faster, tougher and more heavy-hitting.

I love the Danish models a lot but I have yet to win a game after using them about 10 times though I have come close a few times. Being fragile they get picked off in RB3 and 4 which always hurts their gunnery so the state sheets are a bit deceiving.

On the plus side when they do get into range they can deal some good dice pools (if not hurt) and if your using a calcification fleet can board.

I'm sure spartan is working on updating all of the minor nation fleets and they read our comments, in queries, and play test a lot so I have no worries. And when in doubt house rules!!! :D

The Russians get huge dice pools with ubiquitous munition MARs in RB2 as well as ablative armour, a range of mimic options, and if you ally in an American or aussie unit a kinetic gen. Therefore they end up faster, tougher and more heavy-hitting.

I think it's time to break out the allies for dirty tricks, Lerriano - especially against LikeASir and his dirty, dirty combinations! I think cherry-picked allies (and generators) have a significant advantage against other lists...

Also, Spartan, if you are going to nerf the Diophantus, please do it overnight from the 31st July - 1st August! ;)