Sign in to follow this  
Doge

Shooting at SAWs

Couple of questions just to make sure I have this correct and am not missing anything:

1) There is no way to shoot at a saw that flies past your ship/tank/saw with your AA - the only time you get to AA is if the SAW actually engages you?

2) There is no 'intercept move' a la FSA, the only way for fighters to engage is by activating? (Intercept is worded kind of funny, if this question sounds stupid!)

So the only way to defend a friendly target from incoming by using your Fighters, outside of being a CAP, is to activate first?

1) During a models activation it may declare it is using its AA to attack a SAS as long as it is in range.  Only AA may attack SAS but you can fire at them you do not have to wait for them to engage you.

2)I do not know FSA  so it is hard for me to say but if you are looking for fighters to be able to attack other SAS via some kind of proximity then no that does not work.  You can fire at other SAS during your activation as long as they are within range, you can fire defensive AA at SAS if they are attacking you.

Hope that helps some.

Question 1 was badly phrased but I think you've answered it anyway - if an enemy SAW activates and moves through the firing range of one of my ships, I dont get to shoot AA at it right? You only get AA if the SAW actually engages you, not just if it activates in proximity?

Question 1 was badly phrased but I think you've answered it anyway - if an enemy SAW activates and moves through the firing range of one of my ships, I dont get to shoot AA at it right? You only get AA if the SAW actually engages you, not just if it activates in proximity?

Correct.

You get to shoot at SAS in the following two situations only.

During your activation, the squadron ( be it of SAS or any other models) targets the SAS with AA.

During their activation, the SAS squadron attacks your squadron, and you counter-attack with AA.

In 1870, we can reasonably assume that IFF technology is not great, so AA gunners don't want to open up on friendlies by accident, and that ammo supply is not unlimited, so conserving ammo until ordered to open fire makes sense- no point in the battleship knocking out those fighters if it then can't repel the dive bombers closing from the port side!

Correct. You have 3 ways to kill SAS.

1. Fire on them with a non SAS model during that models activation ONLY using AA at upto 8"

2. Dogfight them with your own SAS during your SAS activation with a 4" range

Or

3. Defend against an attack from an opponents SAS with the squadron of models or SAS attacked by them.

Sara.