We're moving to Discord!

Come join in the discussion here!

You can also still find out all the latest news on TWITTER and FACEBOOK

Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to welcoming you shortly.

The Warcradle Team

Victor Romeo

Leviathans - Any success yet

The Leviathans look awesome. The image of death dealing battle robots dropping from orbit, laying waste to everything around them completely sold me on the game. The trouble is they never seem to do much. In the last few games my Dindrenzi Leviathan has a combined kill total of two cyber batteries and 3 stingray launchers. Last game he was destroyed in two rounds of firing and the previous game he only survived because the Aquans couldn't make a single pinpoint roll. The Terran Leviathan didn't do any better being destroyed by one volley from a pair of Kratos.

They just seem to absorb a lot of points and give away game changing levels of Tactical Points when they die. Can someone share stories of success to convince me that they're worth persevering with.

Go Kratos! One-shotting an Odin is a glorious success story! Though, I can tell you from experience, that is not the norm.

Planetfall is a brutal game, and no unit is truly survivable.

The Hyperion is where my skill set is, so I will talk about that. Basically, you need to make sure that the Leviathan is making a worthwhile contribution to your battle. So let him take on targets accordingly, and try to avoid dropping him in areas where the enemy can just dump easy bullets/missiles/lasers into it.

Overall, I like the Hyperion and it helps me achieve victory, but like any other unit, it alone will not win the game. There is a quiet elegance to the meaning of that statement. Planetfall is not a game where Deathstar units exist.

Yeah it took me a while to get used to things dying so fast and then I was just complaining about things being too squishy but you start to realise what will cause you the most damage first and try and nullify that quickly.

Overall it's quite tempting to be ultra aggressive with the Odin because you are like "6 shields wow!" but he's best left as a bit more defensive in the first two turns. Let him put folks off from sky-dropping (Maybe even putting him on overwatch, to then blast seven bells of s**t out of a drop pod with all it's weapons) and then go in for a kill or two. He's not really an "anti-Leviathan" either so don't try and go head to head with another. Use him to blast mediums or heavies and then take on Air power (I took out two ba'kash fliers in one volley last game!!). Don't under-estimate the artillery either.

Last game I went flat out with him first turn and just died a horrible painful death.

All of the leviathans I have played with an against have certainly proved to be incredibly intimidating, thematic and effectively brutal!

The point sink paid for them seemed at first very steep, especially with the high TV attached, but they have a massive impact on each game I have seen them involved in. That goes for damage dealt, or resources committed to dealing with them.

The Dorectorates Wraith has performed insanely well for me. It's largely responsible for the uptick in my victory tallies since its launch into my ORBAT. Tonight in fact, it was its surgical ability to descend into a battle line and shred multiple targets crippled or to death that lead me to my largest and most dominating victory to date...

Terran vs Directorate 4000points

Turn Two

Terran +32 / Directorate -8!!!

Absurd... :/

Only played one game with the Howdahsaurus so far. It was 7000pts with Sorylians main + Aquan & Terquai allies vs Dindrazi main + Relthoza & Works Raptor allies.

Both main forces had leviathans on first outings. They decided to duel! The Nor'Bar'Ro shook of a volley from the Dindrazi Leviathan and caused a wound in return fire. This shook the obviously green pilot of the Din leviathan which then slowed down his reactions allowing him to be finished of by a second volley and a drive by by a unit of Lizard bikers.

In short partly through lucky dice, partly through activation sequence the Sorylian one did quite well while the Dindrazi one missed a single morale test on 5 dice!!!

The Leviathan's allow a lot of the rest of your force to get into range in a far healthier state (in my experience). While it is worth 15 TV, if you check out how much fire power gets thrown at it, you will find that its probably not that far off how much is required to get 15 TV from other sources.

Of course there will always be exceptions to the rule, in my experience they are a great shot soak, and that allows you other models (like your Mediums) to keep firing with less damage. 

I agree with Kraggi on this one. I see the Leviathans as very deadly if not dealt with, making them shot magnets that can soak up well beyond their paygrade. If one forces 1-1.5k of your opponent's army to focus on it for a full turn or two then it's definitely doing part of it's job.

I've used my Hyperion exactly once so far, and while it basically died 3 activations after it dropped, it did what I wanted it too: draw a ridiculous amount of firepower from my opponents force while I moved everything else into position. 

So, in a vacuum, it did nothing other than a point of damage to a heavy tank, but the fact it then absorbed two activations from a Wraith, along with all my opponents mediums and heavies meant it well and truly earned its points, even though it didn't kill anything. :P

I've used my Hyperion exactly once so far, and while it basically died 3 activations after it dropped, it did what I wanted it too: draw a ridiculous amount of firepower from my opponents force while I moved everything else into position. 

So, in a vacuum, it did nothing other than a point of damage to a heavy tank, but the fact it then absorbed two activations from a Wraith, along with all my opponents mediums and heavies meant it well and truly earned its points, even though it didn't kill anything. :P

Mine was mostly unscathed at the end of the game. A single level of damage, result of an attack by the soryllian one fielded by conteshard. But my Hyperion dished out a world of hurt at the Ancient. 24 AD are truly murderous, trust me.

Not really sure what you mean by that. 

Corehunter has this theory that the Zenian League are more powerful and better 'loved' by Spartan, to the detriment of the Kurak forces.

I personally haven't seen it, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Eh, I'll back up Core a tiny bit on this one. Kurak levis all feel a quarter step behind the Zenians, not grossly unbalancingly behind though. Aquans are glass cannons, Terrans are trying to keep up with Dindrenzi but are spread out to too many roles, and ditto for the Sorys. Zenians all actually bring Leviathan killer weapons on a tough chassis. None of the levis are bad, but in a levi vs levi fight the Zenians have a slight edge. Flip that to the Heavy Helix and the roles reverse a bit; Zenians bring lightly modded core helix chassis where Kurak drop in the levi killers, long range guns, and a dash of anti air.

Eh, I'll back up Core a tiny bit on this one. Kurak levis all feel a quarter step behind the Zenians, not grossly unbalancingly behind though. Aquans are glass cannons, Terrans are trying to keep up with Dindrenzi but are spread out to too many roles, and ditto for the Sorys. Zenians all actually bring Leviathan killer weapons on a tough chassis. None of the levis are bad, but in a levi vs levi fight the Zenians have a slight edge. Flip that to the Heavy Helix and the roles reverse a bit; Zenians bring lightly modded core helix chassis where Kurak drop in the levi killers, long range guns, and a dash of anti air.

Sounds fairly balanced. 

Oh, I would agree that all Leviathans aren't all equal at the same tasks. My Hyperion has a bit of envy for the adaptability of the Odin, but my Odin is pretty jealous of my Hyperions one giant pile o' AD. 

But I don't see this as 'Zenian is better', more that different Leviathans have different roles and the Zenian Leviathans lean more into belting up opposing Leviathans. Not that Kurak Leviathans are slouches against other Leviathans though, they just aren't as single-minded at that one job, but instead are better at many others. :P

Although, my Hyperion is currently a bullet-magnet first, and a damage dealer second...  ^_^

So... Terran's Baldrs with 4 AD at LR are Leviathan killers, right?

I probably wouldn't be using Baldr's at LR to hunt Leviathans, but there is plenty of tasty Heavies and Mediums to shoot at on your way in (12AD on 4+ is ~9.6 Successes, with Pinpoint 2). Once within that EF of 20" you are hitting with 18AD with that Pinpoint 2, which is 14.4 Successes average, more than enough to wound the toughest Leviathan. :D At this range, Heimdalls will also be putting down that 18AD. That is when I would start hunting Leviathans and put them down in a flurry of short-ranged nuclear and/or laser fire. :)

You could use the Tyr to hunt the Leviathans early on, hoping for a lucky shot and nearly guaranteed Pinpoint roll, but I'd also be ignoring it till you get closer and taking out it's supporting elements. It might do some damage while you ignore it, but your opponents other elements won't be, so it equals out.  ^_^

I probably wouldn't be using Baldr's at LR to hunt Leviathans, but there is plenty of tasty Heavies and Mediums to shoot at on your way in (12AD on 4+ is ~9.6 Successes, with Pinpoint 2). Once within that EF of 20" you are hitting with 18AD with that Pinpoint 2, which is 14.4 Successes average, more than enough to wound the toughest Leviathan. :D At this range, Heimdalls will also be putting down that 18AD. That is when I would start hunting Leviathans and put them down in a flurry of short-ranged nuclear and/or laser fire. :)

You could use the Tyr to hunt the Leviathans early on, hoping for a lucky shot and nearly guaranteed Pinpoint roll, but I'd also be ignoring it till you get closer and taking out it's supporting elements. It might do some damage while you ignore it, but your opponents other elements won't be, so it equals out.  ^_^

With their hiseous 12 AD attack Baldr barely done ANYTHING. Ah no - they killed a SINGLE Bor'Ka in 3 games. 

C0rruptd gets my thoughts on it. I plan on doubling my Dindrenzi Levi helix, I'd much rather see two Terran Levis than the heavy helicies across the table.

Sorys have some ugly AD output at range, two turn 1 focus fire 16-18AD shots at my Levi? Oww.

Aquans? The big tank is annoying but much better as anti air support. 18AD with an up to 44" range and Pin2 @20", 2 more sacrificial Sirsirs, and 2 more crystals to make nearly every other unit in their force have +24" range? Well 'bleep' me...

With their hiseous 12 AD attack Baldr barely done ANYTHING. Ah no - they killed a SINGLE Bor'Ka in 3 games. 

Huh, what are you aiming them at? Or are the dice gods just against them? They should  be theoretically doing at least a point of damage on anything up to a Heavy every shot, with hopefully a bonus one from PP2... And that's at LR, rather than EF...

I do say theoretically though, because the Dice Gods are fickle creatures... :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.