Dave Bednarek

How do you handle the Yurei Terror Ship?

In our campaign, we are limited to 1000K\fleet. The Yurei is pretty much winning the games single handily, it seems.

If I concentrate a lot of fire on it, because it's 1/2 AD due to the Ghost generator [and you need at least 14AD to have a chance to do a single hit......maybe], all the other stuff runs amuck pretty much undamaged and delivers fatal volley after volley into me.

If I just ignore it, it comes in and can take out, or severely damages even the Dread. And with 7HP, provided you don't get a super lucky crit, it takes ALOT of activations to do any real harm to it.

Furthermore, my opponent knowing this, shoots everything at my XL\L and DD's that generate a lot of AD, so by the time I can get a decent amount of AD to fire, my AD pool is severely limited. Even 1 or two hits on my XL\L is magnified when I try to return fire, because I'm 1/2 AD.

Not whining about that ship, I love the challenge of playing against it, but honestly, for only 150 points it does an awful lot. Not only can it soak up a TON of fire, but left unscathed it can decimate even dreads to the point of being much less effective.

Also, I really don't want to play the same list every time against him because the only way to counter the Yurei is with always bringing " SHIP X" to the table. No one likes playing the same ships every battle,

Sonic generators could work, but only 50% of the time, and when he's already within 8-12 inches he's going to start dealing out death.

So any tips would help. Hope I'm missing something obvious here... lol 

Thanks, guys,

Dave

I don't play FSA or have ever come across the terror ship so don't take this as gospel but can the Boston not just use its node disruption generator to turn off the phase generator? Just a thought

either use the Boston's Disruption Generator, or a Sonic Generator to mess with it. if you take Australian allies, you could also try the Tesla Generator on "fry" mode.

Or even take advantage of the Devastating Munitions on some of the FSA and/or Australian vessels (especially a pair of Victoria Monitors from rb2. half-AD is still 10 dice)

It only has 5 AP, and relies on Terror Tactics to board stuff.  Throw a unit of corvettes at it. Yes, it gets Security Posts (4), and has Elite crew, but a full unit of corvettes has a fair chance of killing them all, or at the very least killing so many they now cannot board anything.

On average dice, with 10 AP from 5 corvettes, vs 6 AA, 7 get on board. You'd expect them to kill about 8 AP, so score 4 actual kills. The 6 defenders, hitting on 2s, I'd expect about 5 kills in total.  Those numbers aren't great, compared to trying the same on a battle cruiser or such like, but  they are worth taking a chance on- and that is trying to take it from undamaged.

With the 3 AP or terror tactics corvettes, the odds are rather better.

Remember, Terror Tactics doesn't work if no AP get on board, and Security Posts doesn't work if there are no AP, as there is no CQB step- cut it's AP down to size and it becomes much less dangerous!

James

Boarding is my solution to it, even when playing with coa (which, aside from a few specialized units, is low on ap count). Occasionally I may have to bait it, if I have no good boarders around. Throw a damaged cruiser or gunship near it and if the terror ship leaps to board, then it will likely lose some of its ap in the attempt. That makes it a lot easier to prize afterwards.

It also looks like if the generator is off-line it loses security posts 4 so boarding becomes very easy at that point.

This is incorrect. Security posts are not tied to the generator.

Whenever a model with a functioning Phase Generator becomes the target of an Aggressive Boarding Action it is considered to have the Security Posts (4) Model Assigned Rule.

So yeah, it is kinda tied to the generator being functional and working.

Hmmm so was I right or wrong? I'd assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if the generator was offline it wasn't functioning? And therefore, no security posts. I believe basicbob is a play tester so am inclined to believe him but that's certainly not how it reads

Hmmm so was I right or wrong? I'd assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that if the generator was offline it wasn't functioning? And therefore, no security posts. I believe basicbob is a play tester so am inclined to believe him but that's certainly not how it reads

I read it the same way you do so yeah, no generator means no security posts.

The quote function does not work while I am at work.  Neither it seems does copy and paste.

The wonders of English synonyms!

If the Ghost Generator is offline for any reason, then the model does not gain the Security Posts MAR.

James, DW designer.

P.S. The reason I didn't mention this as a way to stop the ship in question is that if the generator is down, every standard way to take it down works!

In our campaign, we are limited to 1000K\fleet. The Yurei is pretty much winning the games single handily, it seems.

If I concentrate a lot of fire on it, because it's 1/2 AD due to the Ghost generator [and you need at least 14AD to have a chance to do a single hit......maybe], all the other stuff runs amuck pretty much undamaged and delivers fatal volley after volley into me.

If I just ignore it, it comes in and can take out, or severely damages even the Dread. And with 7HP, provided you don't get a super lucky crit, it takes ALOT of activations to do any real harm to it.

Furthermore, my opponent knowing this, shoots everything at my XL\L and DD's that generate a lot of AD, so by the time I can get a decent amount of AD to fire, my AD pool is severely limited. Even 1 or two hits on my XL\L is magnified when I try to return fire, because I'm 1/2 AD.

Not whining about that ship, I love the challenge of playing against it, but honestly, for only 150 points it does an awful lot. Not only can it soak up a TON of fire, but left unscathed it can decimate even dreads to the point of being much less effective.

Also, I really don't want to play the same list every time against him because the only way to counter the Yurei is with always bringing " SHIP X" to the table. No one likes playing the same ships every battle,

Sonic generators could work, but only 50% of the time, and when he's already within 8-12 inches he's going to start dealing out death.

So any tips would help. Hope I'm missing something obvious here... lol 

Thanks, guys,

Dave

Just an observation, the Yurei costs 160 points now, another way to deal with this Wani pest would be Indiscriminate Attacks (They Ignore Defensive generators) So rammings, Area Bombardments by heavy bombers and other flyers, or Mines will be nasty for the Yurei.

regards

Hunger

... and just to add another 5 cents...

If the generator should ever go offline for any reason... execute the darn thing before it can repair it. The Yurei is a pretty weak target without its generator and IF the generator should go offline there are few reasons why one should not take that big chunk of points...

R

Sorry, Hunger. But the Phase Generator even blocks Indiscriminate attacks. One reason I find it particularly nasty with the CoA.

My solution this far is ignoring it, when it is no threat to an important ship, like dreads. Or small attacks where with multiple guns where the partially blocked does not hurt so much. Ideal are Dive Bomber. A 5 wing strong SAS has to survive the AA and then dishes out 10 dice hitting on 3+ when unharmed. 3AD are halved and rounded up to 2AD per SAW.

Some Destroyer are good too, because the dice from the Pack Tactics are not halved.

And you can "ram" it with an high enough IR, though you technically collide with it, you can damage it with an IR of 6. Better use an IR of 8+.

And when it is damaged or its crew reduced you can board it even against the Security Posts 4. You have to invest more, but 5 AP is not that much to kill. With the generator online you are boarding a slightly damaged Dread. Soem units can accomplish that. Like french Requins or australian Crocodiles.

So just my 2 cents

Sorry, Hunger. But the Phase Generator even blocks Indiscriminate attacks. One reason I find it particularly nasty with the CoA.

My solution this far is ignoring it, when it is no threat to an important ship, like dreads. Or small attacks where with multiple guns where the partially blocked does not hurt so much. Ideal are Dive Bomber. A 5 wing strong SAS has to survive the AA and then dishes out 10 dice hitting on 3+ when unharmed. 3AD are halved and rounded up to 2AD per SAW.

Some Destroyer are good too, because the dice from the Pack Tactics are not halved.

And you can "ram" it with an high enough IR, though you technically collide with it, you can damage it with an IR of 6. Better use an IR of 8+.

And when it is damaged or its crew reduced you can board it even against the Security Posts 4. You have to invest more, but 5 AP is not that much to kill. With the generator online you are boarding a slightly damaged Dread. Soem units can accomplish that. Like french Requins or australian Crocodiles.

So just my 2 cents

You are right I must have overread that passage im sorry.

Thinking around it Another way to be nasty to this craft would be assaulting it with Robots, a Fury gen should also be quite nasty to its not so high crew complement.

Regards

Hunger

I think die added from Pack Hunter is also halved, though?

Also, it is my understanding that a functioning Ghost Generator states that it can not be rammed. So does that mean you can not collide with it as well?

Phase Generator - This Generator has a continuous effect. Any weapon firing at this Model protected by the Phase

Generator is ALWAYS considered to be Partially Blocked, even if the weapon is Indiscriminate. Whenever a Model with a

functioning Phase Generator becomes the target of an Aggressive Boarding Action it is considered to have the Security

Posts (4) Model Assigned Rule.

In addition, no Model may ever announce a Ram Action against a Model with a functioning Phase Generator, and should this

Model make contact, it should assume to have collided with it instead. Offensive Generators are UNAFFECTED by the

Phase Generator

-------------------------------------------------------------

You cannot ram it, they are resolved as normal collisions instead. So Hitting it with a IR 8 model is still going to hurt.

The ghost generator halves your Initial Attack Dice. That is after all linking, Pack hunter , TACs, etc.

James

I will play the generator as intended. But as a side note: That it is not as it is written.

For reference pp60/61 digital admiral edition

Any weapon firing at a phase generator is patially blocked. Partially blocked halves the AD of a weapon (step 1b) before the initial AD pool is generated and before firing options and MARs coem into play (step 1d).

Again I wont contradict You on what was intended and I will play it that way. But this should be marked in the FAQ, because it changes things a lot with the Yurei.

I will play the generator as intended. But as a side note: That it is not as it is written.

For reference pp60/61 digital admiral edition

Any weapon firing at a phase generator is patially blocked. Partially blocked halves the AD of a weapon (step 1b) before the initial AD pool is generated and before firing options and MARs coem into play (step 1d).

Again I wont contradict You on what was intended and I will play it that way. But this should be marked in the FAQ, because it changes things a lot with the Yurei.

Sorry, you are correct. This is what happens when working from memory, and then editing in the relevant rules quote afterwards!

It doesn't make much difference, unless you have a large number of weapons with a odd number of AD( Attacker frigates at RB2), or a very high pack hunter bonus( some of the tiny torpedo boat type models)

James