MilesTheMighty

What to get - Post Patrol fleet

Hey All,

Just got myself a Patrol fleet of Sorylian Collective!  Completely new to the game, although I'm a 40k, WFB, etc Vet and I'm wondering what are some high value purchases I can make to expand my fleet.  What other ships am I going to want?

My local opponents are also new but are starting with larger fleets they'd either bought previously and hadn't played with, or got second hand.

Thanks!

So firstly, welcome to FSA!

Secondly, their are no real "high value" units in FSA. Adversely, there are no real "low value" models either, mostly. Nearly every model has its role to fill, and they perform that role at a level adjusted by their point cost. FSA is probably the most balanced game that I've played. This is especially true for the Sorylians, who possess some of the most singular purpose ships in the the game. You will have to play some games to get a feel for how you want to play your Sorylian fleet, as there is no one correct way to play the lovable lizards. That being said, they do have certain strengths, and playing to them will be more likely to create enjoyable games for you and your opponents. There are no real auto-include squadrons, just as there are no real auto-exclude squadrons (as long as you're playing a core faction).

The short answer to your question of "What do I purchase next?" is simply to buy all of it. All of the models are useful, none are obsolete. For example, at first glance many will consider gunships to be superior to destroyers, yet both have distinct (dis)advantages compared to one another and both are useful, if used in within the tactical boundaries for which they were designed. A way not to do this is to play a carrier like a battleship, most of the time it will not work out well.

The long answer is to buy a cruiser box, a frigate/corvette box and a dreadnought or carrier or battleship or battlecruiser box. The cruiser box and frigate/corvette box give you extra tier 2 and 3 options to field, as well as the necessary models to meet minimum fleet requirements for larger fleet sizes. The pick of tier 1 boxes is to fit whatever play style you prefer. After acquiring and playing with these, you'll grasp what your play style does and doesn't do well, and you'll be better equipped with knowledge to decide what to add from there, such as destroyers, gunships, other tier 1 options, or even branching out into allies like the Veydreth, the other Alliance of Kurak models or Marauders & Mercenaries.

My suggestion is to expand in one of two ways:

1). Purchase a second Patrol Fleet

2). Purchase Battlecruisers, Gunships, Destroyers and/or Veydreth

Both address the fact the Sorylian Patrol Box units are all ideal Shunt Entry units. Option 1 uses high numbers (and the Reform TAC) to close the distance; Option 2 adds units that want to start on the table (because they can hurt your opponent Turn 1).

For playing games over 800 points you must have either a second patrol box or the frigate/corvette box to have enough small models to meet game requirements at that size.  I agree the Sorylians are the best fleet to get multiples of the patrol fleet, but it's not required.  If you want more variety the frigate/corvette box gives you corvettes (which aren't in the Patrol fleet), and really any of the tier 2 boxes.  The gunships and cruisers are great, while destroyers are more limited but do have their place.  If you don't get a second patrol fleet you'll want another tier 1 choice at some point.  Personally I'm fond of the battlecruisers but the dreadnaught is a nice unit too.

If a Sorylian player wanted to ramp up to a 2000 pt fleet as quickly as possible I'd suggest

2x patrol fleets

+1 frigate and corvette box

+1 Dreadnought Box

Your tactics will be pretty limited but those tactics are destroy things things and refuse to die. Which happen to be my favorite tactics.

Hello and welcome to the Collective!

I would definately get a frigate and corvette box to fulfil your tier 3 requirements longer term and just because they are jolly useful. I have a bit of an addiction to my Gunship squadron right now. they are absolute beasts!

if you are ok regarding magnetising things, I would actually suggest a cruiser box and magnetise them to be cruisers or heavy cruisers.

A carrier group is also really powerful.............

.........Oh Screw it!!!! Just buy everything!!! They are so damn funky :D Plus they cost a fraction of 40k/WHFB.

I think a second Patrol Box is overkill because you don't really need a second Falx battleship.  Therefore I suggest:

1. Frigate/Covette Box:  Gives enough Tier 3 Units for all levels of play and can fill out Patrol Fleet list
  2. Cruiser Box:  Gives second Cruiser Squadron and option for Heavy Cruiser Squadron, especially if you are into magnatization
  3. Dreadnaught Box:  Because he is a beast in once you stop playing Patrol Fleet battles

I think a second Patrol Box is overkill because you don't really need a second Falx battleship.  Therefore I suggest:

Using one of the larger retailers' prices- a patrol fleet is 31,2 pounds. A box of cruisers and the frigate box is 29,6 pounds. For less than 2 pounds' difference, I think having a 2nd bb is a more enticing option than a squadron of corvettes.

Using one of the larger retailers' prices- a patrol fleet is 31,2 pounds. A box of cruisers and the frigate box is 29,6 pounds. For less than 2 pounds' difference, I think having a 2nd bb is a more enticing option than a squadron of corvettes.

Given that they are basically the same price, it is cool that a player can choose between five new little ships or a second big ship.

To be honest though, I fear the Corvettes more than I do the Falx.

Bah, second patrol fleet is boring. I would get the frigates box then pick another tier 1 and 2 box you like.The corvettes are, IMO, one of the strengths of the Sorylians because of scout. So valuable. Personally, I love the gunships and battlecruisers. The dreadnought is awesome, the heavy cruiser squad is fantastic (something you cannot make if you buy 2 patrol boxes), and the destroyers, while not liked by everyone, I think are good.

My advice is to immediately grab the frigate/corvette box for the following reasons:

1. You'll need 2+ squadrons of T3s to play at the battle fleet level and up.
  2. You'll want enough T3s to have a squadron or two of 'em plus some frigates to accompany a lone battlecruiser you might bring.
  3. Corvettes are really important to support our T1s. Between corvettes to relocate our slower models, destroyers and Veydreth with Ambush, and generally high Sorylian speed, it's easy to dominate the deployment phase, which can help you to win games. On the other hand, without corvettes, it's really easy for Sorylian T1s to get left behind if you make even a small mistake in the deployment phase.
  4. Frigates are dumb and boring to paint and not nearly as exciting to add to your fleet as other stuff, so you probably want to just get them out of the way.

After that... get whatever you like. A second cruiser box is important to get eventually - because Sorylian cruisers are freaking awesome and terrifying - but not really necessary. I've enjoyed branching out into our fore fixed firepower models (kestroi and warwolves), and because they're so different from the rest of the fleet list, they add a lot of tactical flexibility. FSA is not the kind of game where there's really an auto-include.

Oh My!  Thanks for the responses everyone!  I didn't expect people to jump in so quickly!

What I've learned (And please correct me if I'm learning wrong)

1) Play more games

2) Probably buy another Patrol Fleet box as it's the best value for the T3 ships I need anyway

3) Find the big ships that match my playstyle and buy those.

4) Dreadnoughts are awesome.

I haven't finished assembling my last cruiser.  Should I go for the Heavy or the Regular?

Oh My!  Thanks for the responses everyone!  I didn't expect people to jump in so quickly!

What I've learned (And please correct me if I'm learning wrong)

1) Play more games

2) Probably buy another Patrol Fleet box as it's the best value for the T3 ships I need anyway

3) Find the big ships that match my playstyle and buy those.

4) Dreadnoughts are awesome.

I haven't finished assembling my last cruiser.  Should I go for the Heavy or the Regular?

I'm... not sure about the second Patrol Fleet. Sure, you get another squadron of frigates, but you're still missing out on corvettes. You get another squadron of cruisers, but you're not really that likely to use a second battleship. Maybe if you were playing Aquans or one of the other factions with a truly excellent battleship... but as much as I like to argue for the Falx's bad reputation being mostly unearned, it's more "you can make this work if you play smart" good, not "have several in your collection" good.

I got 2 patrol fleets and never looked back.

If you plan to get the second patrol fleet then make the 4th cruiser a heavy. That way when you get a cruiser box eventually you have 6 regular cruisers and 6 heavy cruisers which gives you all kinds of options.

You will eventually want the frigate & corvette box but if there is a fleet that can always use another squad of Frigates it's Sorylians I have 4 frigate squads and a squad of corvettes. I still check eBay regularly in hopes of getting a 5th squad of frigates on thd cheap. My frigates regularly chew up enemy tier 2 models.

The extra battleship is really just a bonus.

A Cruiser and Frigate/Corvette box is £41.50, a Patrol Box is £43.50. While I would propose the first option is better overall (the Corvettes add more fleet utility than a second Battleship), the second option feels like a better monetary value.

Th 2x Patrol Fleet option gives you 1,030 points in models, no upgrades. +50 for Frigate pack-hunters, +120 for the Battleships and Cruisers (including Heavy Cruiser upgrade). If you play a Battle Fleet, one Patrol starts on the Table, the other starts in Reserve. Take the Reform, Perfect Timing, and Thermal Controls.

The Admiral starts on the board, acting as a rear guard and target (shoot me, I'm the Admiral!) while the Frigates and Cruisers basically charge down the middle. Probably use Perfect Timing Turn 2 and Turn 3, so the whole fleet is likely on the table. This will teach you how to best use each unit from Reserve.

Next, trade out Perfect Timing for Drives to max, and only Reserve one Battleship. Everything charges down the middle, with the Battleship using Drives to Max turns 1 & 2... Unless you can use that Reform Tac. Keep all Frigates together, and all Cruisers together, to facilitate Reform.

After 4 games each way, you will know the rules, as well as many of the nuances and strategies for the core Sorylian units, and will probably know exactly what you want to add next... You'll also either love or regret having a second Battleship.