i am going to try out an experiment in the near future:

2x couronne + cloud

4 x epaulard

3 x dieppe

2 x 5 requin

1 x 4 requins

1000 points

I am afraid it is very very fragile.

The strategy may be to hide behind terrain and lure the opponent. Epaulards with indirect fire shoot first. couronne and epaulard as counter strike. dieppe and requins charge.

Or how about replacing the couronnes with a vauban?

The vauban would be a bit too much IMHO for this size game it's a very boarding heavy fleet so if anything to replace would be a couronne with an aggressive crew magenta? It's more durable and would give some toughness to your fleet

That's my input but it seems like a fun fleet to play.

I can't comment too much because I never really play a boarding fleet.

If you want to play double carrier at 1000, take a Tourbillon, who is tougher than the Couronne.

Vauban (and other dreads!) in game lesser than 1500 are a bit gamey and interrest-killing.

In your list, I don't see much of synergies : Dieppe and requin will found themselves a bit lonely in from of a 1000 pts list, and Couronne will not provide heavy support at range. SAW are good but can only make a bombing strike ones every three turns if you keep carrier at safe range...

You can turn a Couronne to a La Rochelle (and remove 4 raquin to have necessary points), bringing 3 SAS less but with real good fire power...

Heres my UK Expo winning list...very nasty at 1k

saint malo

tourbillon

tourbillon

cherbourg

3 dieppes

5 requins

Its very much a RB 2/3 fleet, but can brawl with anything at 1k points

Real good one ! Just fear the field order "50% + all smalls"...

I play meerly the same just replacing Saint Malo and Dieppe, with Magenta and Toulon for more heat fun !

Thats why i use the requins as defence and counter boarders rather than super aggressive. However consider that to even get to 50 % you need one of the larges as well means that its very tough to get the 50 % unless they prize all your mediums.....which is what the requins are for

Dang, I only have one Tourbillon.  An extra Tourbillon would be quite deadly though, more SAWs, good long rang rockets.

In general the French are tough if they can hide/ avoid long range damage in the first turn and let the enemy come to them.

French vs. Prussians is fun. Close with that redoubtable Heat lance!

I have not used the Recquins much. 2 AP and TT is a quite powerful boarding unit. However I see so many corvette squadrons with guns, some quite good, that it annoys me and pushes me to take Lyons that can reduce them at range and weak havoc if they get amongst them. I just had one surviving Lyon take out three Japanese corvettes in one activation.  I find it hard to find the points to take Requins. 

I have thought of an Aggressive crewed Magenta with Heat lance and a Squadron of Requins charging a weak flank would get people's attention.

If you can throw in an ally with a Guardian generator in the group. Maybe a Forbes (can a Forbes "charge"?) and add three Banks to the Magenta? You could get TT (2). You would have to lead with the Forbes to gain any help from the Guardian. A Hit magnet, so keep the Torps.

Anyone try something like that?

Heres my UK Expo winning list...very nasty at 1k

saint malo

tourbillon

tourbillon

cherbourg

3 dieppes

5 requins

Its very much a RB 2/3 fleet, but can brawl with anything at 1k points

so do you keep your tourbilions obscured or do you drop down at some point. looks like a great list, I like the fact that the mini subs kind of make up for the lack of smalls. A Tourbilion is at the top of my to buy list. I might even buy two :)

I am in the same boat as CDR_G, I have trouble justifying Requins when Lyons are just such go getters.

My requins have failed at life all 3 or 4 times I have brought them out.

An aggressive Skimming Boarding Magenta - well I would say that sounds like a whole heap of fun.

I'm not really a fan of the requin because it failed me the few times I used them and the fact it has no gun but what the model is designed to do I think it fits that role fairly well.

It's made to either weaken a large ships AP down to next to nothing. It is also very good Re supply AP for large ships.

As for smalls I always try to use Chevaliers because they are very good though for me they must stay in RB3 since their AP dropped in the new update.

At 1250 I have taken saint malo and 2 couronne.

They are very fragile and hemmorage VP' s with their strategic score. 

However that heat lance is the bane of mediums! And being massive goes a long way to protecting our fragile mediums.

so do you keep your tourbilions obscured or do you drop down at some point. looks like a great list, I like the fact that the mini subs kind of make up for the lack of smalls. A Tourbilion is at the top of my to buy list. I might even buy two :)

I keep them obscured into RB 2 then check if it can be boarded or not - if not , then drop them down to pew pew

Thyphs, that list looks absolutely hard as particularly hard nails. I am almost glad I couldn't get down to the expo so I didn't have to face it :P

I have tried several times to shoot down obscured tourbillons, they just don't seem to die! I think my strategy against such a list would have been to sink your dieppes, try to prize the battlecruiser and focus fire/ap on the st malo whilst avoiding being in bombing range of the sky fortresses. The problem would be keeping my fleet in such a condition that it still had firepower to sink the st Malo (not easy!) after dealing with the mediums. That and keeping the prize/not being prized myself via the requins. Congrats in making the most horrible 1k point list I have ever seen without dreads sir!

The malo didnt take a single point of damage in 5 games.....people ignore it because its too hard. Yeah my last opponent Mark went with that very approach....try to prize all my mediums and get the win....he was unlucky in boarding and a slipped the net, meanwhile my larges were laying the hurt on his elbe and imperium. How to loose friends and annihilate them :P

Well not really, cloud generators and ret armour two provide a defence that's better than shield's 5, which anyone who plays firestorm can understand. Then on top of that it has ten hull points which it really doesn't need, then a nullification generator.