theredepic

Grav guns/Tarakians balance issue. Opinions?

I've won games with hazard marker stacking. If you crit, get an effect that adds a hazard marker, it's only a turn or two until most ships run out of crew points.

If I remember right, high energy only adds one hazard marker on hit, and doesn't stack on the number of weapons partaking.

To link fire the fixed fore guns you've got to get the target into the four overlapping narrow fixed fore bands right? Doesn't that make getting a fully linked four ships awkward? There are only so many arrangements of the that allow that to happen, a diamond vertical line with the one at the back determining optimal range or a crescent of some variety with a very specific point in space where they overlap?

You move ships individually remember--they are not in a rigid formation.  Slight angle changes on the last turn for each ship (and these are frigates remember, they have plenty of move available) make it pretty easy to line up FF for everyone.

As a potential new player found out, that forty-five degree turn is usually more than enough to line up a shot with Fixed Fore guns. Really easy to line up shots on a target 2' or more away.

And that is why the cardinal rule of Aquans vs Dindrenzi is:

Get within 10-20" as soon as possible

That's odd. I've found its best to stay at range as long as possible with Dindrenzi. I'm going to be closing 4"-6" as I line up shots just on my own, while my opponent is probably trying to close the gap quickly. Unless a few more inches puts a unit at 23"-24", I'm happy to stay at RB3 for another turn.

I've also found its best to spread a unit out 'vertically', so there's a good chance at least one model is in RB2. This increases the damage output over three turns, instead of having just one massive volley. If I do it right:

Phase 1: lead model in RB 2

Phase 2: entire squadron in RB 2

Phase 3: trail model in RB2

Yup. Vs /= And

But... When wouldn't Aquans want to get to and hang out at RB2? They have so much speed and maneuverability that they can pretty much go wherever they want every turn to maximize firepower?

I was played both as Tarakians and aganist them, they are tough, but have some weeknesses. (On 16-20" they are outgunned because most enemies has more possible arc to fire, they are ridicully weak aganist boarding.)

About Torpedoes I agree that they can be good weapon aganist Tarakians when I use RNS they spooks are very effective.

Somebody else said it best in the Tarakian forum where they are a "gotcha" army, but once you play against it a few times you see the weaknesses.

Tarakians can struggle with heavy long range fleets as they will be throwing out more dice than you in the beginning. Yes the Tarakian ships never lose AD, but most fleets seem to be able to toss out more dice when in their favorable range bands. If those same fleets have lots of PD then you really aren't able to strike back effectively until you can close to grav range. Which depending on terrain might be difficult to maneuver and you have already sustained damage so you really have to make that turn count.

Any time a grav gun is used to move ships around generally isn't worth it vs. doing straight damage unless there is a planet around. And the planet trick is only going to work once vs. the same opponent.

Other weaknesses:

The ships are all of average speed and we have no upgrades to make any of them faster. This can be a pain in scenario/objective play.

Tarakians aren't great vs. wing spam.

Without taking allies there isn't a decent ship vs. a dedicated assault ship (i.e. any ship with second assault + special forces MARs).

Shunting can get around the fore fixed grav guns.

Because we only have a patrol fleet, the pure Tarakians fleet list does not scale well in larger games. Spamming Sulans isn't going to cut it vs. multiple Dreadnoughts and Battle Carriers.